Beware

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Default Beware

We received a letter today from, at&t Global Fraud Management. They informed us that someone was requesting telephone service using our name and wanted us to call them to discuss the matter. We called and after a brief conversation they indicated that someone had my wife's information and was trying to get phone service in Miami. They asked us to call a number and report this fraud case and told us they would stop any other fraud attempts. We called the number, the first thing they wanted was my wife's SS#. We hung up without giving them anything.

This sounds very suspicious and wondered if anyone else received a similar letter.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,546 Times in 1,929 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

If it looks like it and smells like it, then it is. I run from things like that.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Gold member

I agree with graciegirl - Run like the wind! Hanging up on them was the right thing to do...
Old 05-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Eternal Member
Default Definitely a scam

NEVER give your social! If they already have it they verify with a request for the last 4. If they don't have it, well, they shouldn't!!!
Old 05-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Veteran member
Default Beware....

I wish I had all the correct details, but I have seen warnings on the news recently about scam artists if you get strange calls saying they are from a telephone company. They are fom Nigeria etc., and whence they get you to dial the number they give you, they then have access to your phone number and charge enormous amounts $$$ of telephone calls on your account. I sure hope this isnt the case, and I dont want to alarm you, but if you havnt already, I would call "your telephone company" and speak with the security department. I have heard this several times on the news. Good luck to you, and again I just wanted to forewarn you not alarm you.
Jeanne
Old 05-07-2009, 08:50 PM

This is interesting. Tonight at 9 or a little after we got a call asking for my husband who was not home. I asked if I could take a message and was told to have him call ATT. his provider for his cell. I asked why they didn't call him on his cell and they hung up. Way too late to be calling in my house
Old 05-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Unhappy Also bank scams

Also beware of getting an email that looks like it is from your credit card company (IE Chase) all they have to do is add a couple of periods or a dash and you could recive an email from anybody@chase..bankcard..services for instance and it will say someone has been using your card please click on the imbeded link. When you do it authorizes a phishing program that goes into your hard drive and steals your info.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:53 PM
Platinum member

Thanks to all of the above posters for sharing this info with us.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.