Beware

Closed Thread
Old 09-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Sage

Not to say this guy was in the wrong or not...BUT in our neighborhood tree-trimmers come to a couple of our neighbors. The trimmers have been known to knock on our doors saying they're in the neighborhood so can they trim our trees too. We've done it one time. Folks have the option to tell them "no!" Can't say though they've knocked at 7:30......
Old 09-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crummybuttons View Post
My husband and I both still work in TV. Yesterday, at 7:30am someone was ringing our doorbell repeatedly and pounding on the front door. Now, there were no cars in the driveway and the house is dark....Anyway to make a long story short our son is staying with us for a bit and was woken up by all the noise. When he opened the door finally it was a man telling him he used to trim the trees and bushes at our house and was wondering if we wanted them trimmed. My son, who's over 6' looked down at the man and said "my dad does all the yard work and trimming here, and why would you keep banging on the door and ringing the bell 30 times or so when no one answered after the first minute? He left....I got to thinking that we should all be aware of this guy. I read on vcdd home page that there was a couple doing this and then gaining access to the house to rob it. I don't think they'll be knocking at my door anytime soon now that they know someone's home. Scary....
I really doubt this!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
How about sitting on the couch until they break in, then hold them at gunpoint till the police arrive.

That would have been the way to handle it if your son had not been there.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Platinum member
Default Don't Open the Door When You Don't Know

How about installing a peep hole in the door instead of just opening it to see who's there? I have the telescoping ones that allow you to see more that just right in front of it. I say ones because we also have a deadbolt lock and peep hole in the door going into the garage.

For anyone who is not aware, the Sheriff's Office will come to your home and do a free security assessment and suggest improvements. That's what we did.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 09-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Sage

Was his name Mario?
Old 09-07-2013, 03:04 PM

Wow...I do not want anyone banging on my door at 7:30 am.... especially if Im retired and dont have to be up, if I dont want to be. Sheesh
Old 10-03-2013, 06:37 PM

To whom and where do I report solicitors to our homes?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crummybuttons View Post
My husband and I both still work in TV. Yesterday, at 7:30am someone was ringing our doorbell repeatedly and pounding on the front door. Now, there were no cars in the driveway and the house is dark....Anyway to make a long story short our son is staying with us for a bit and was woken up by all the noise. When he opened the door finally it was a man telling him he used to trim the trees and bushes at our house and was wondering if we wanted them trimmed. My son, who's over 6' looked down at the man and said "my dad does all the yard work and trimming here, and why would you keep banging on the door and ringing the bell 30 times or so when no one answered after the first minute? He left....I got to thinking that we should all be aware of this guy. I read on vcdd home page that there was a couple doing this and then gaining access to the house to rob it. I don't think they'll be knocking at my door anytime soon now that they know someone's home. Scary....
I had that happen to me one time before I moved to The Villages. It was about 3 am. There was lots of loud banging on the door. Instead of answering the door, I called the police. When the police came out they found a man sleeping in his car that was parked in my back yard. He was so drunk, he not only had the wrong house, but he thought he was in another nearby town.

I recommend calling the police if someone starts banging on the door late at night or early in the morning.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,546 Times in 1,929 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Lived here for six years and didn't have anyone who was creepy ringing our door.

We have had some people trying to sell us palms, and someone concerned for our souls and someone selling frozen fish and the Schwann man and some people selling lawn care.

We just did what our mama taught us to do and said. No Thank you, and that was that.

No big conspiracy.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.