BEWARE Famlily Furnture Galleries, Leesburg, FL

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2021, 08:40 AM

Small claims court could be an Avenue you could take and represent yourself with pictures and paperwork. I believe the cost is around $200 to file . Don’t wait .
Old 10-22-2021, 08:47 AM
Gold member

Don't buy bonded leather.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Interesting because I had a SIMILAR but OPPOSITE experience with FAMILY FURNITURE just 2 months ago. I bought KNOWINGLY INEXPENSIVE (because we couldn't afford "the best" and knew from shopping around that a "motion" sofa and "motion" loveseat set for $3000 was far from "the best") furniture from them when we moved in here in Feb 2017. No matter what a salesman says should always be considered "puffing." The best furniture, the best tires, blah blah blah.

ANYWAY we also took out the useless warranty (knowing nomal wear and tear is never covered by any warranty) because there were LOTS of motors and switches and about 2 months ago the foam & filling on our 3 1/2 year old 2 reclining seats on the sofa collapsed (my wife is 95lbs and I am about 2x that). Called the warranty company and they to refused the repair because the fine print says it isn't covered. Had I spilled coffee on it, or tore it with a knife, or hemorrhaged on it it would have been covered (which was in the back of my mind after they declined).

Called Family Furniture and told them the warranty company wouldn't cover it so they immediately sent out their guy to check it out, they immediately ordered replacement foam & dacron filling and the day after the stuff came in had someone come out and repair it which required removal of the upholstery without a single attempt to ask for any payment (I was more than willing to pay for it and they knew it). The upholstery was "re-applied" perfectly as well.

2 similar experiences with 2 different outcomes. I'd buy from them again in a second. The furniture brand was "Southern Motion". Could it have been a different attitude in the approach to the dealer?
Family has dropped Southern Motion as has Babbetts.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine1974 View Post
Small claims court could be an Avenue you could take and represent yourself with pictures and paperwork. I believe the cost is around $200 to file . Don’t wait .
I've been thinking about taking the owner of West Mattresses in Leesburg to court over false advertising, bait and switch, as well as lies and threatening text messages. Someone mentioned small claims court, but didn't want to deal with lawyers. If I wanted to take him myself, I would only pay $200 to file & take him to court?
Old 10-23-2021, 05:52 AM
Veteran member

I never believe any salesperson and would rather look at reviews, secondly if 3 years is normal wear and tear, and it's not of the highest quality obviously unless you have 7-year-olds jumping up and down everyday and I would definitely consider a small claims court action, lastly how much did you pay for your warranty because that's probably how much you would get back from the retailer and then you'd probably have to also Sue the manufacturer which is easy enough to do in small claims court so at least you probably get back about 1,000 or 1500.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:55 AM
Veteran member

Bought from them 4 years ago. Sales and service afterwards has been outstanding.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:07 AM

We feel your pain. Our leather ElRan couch has separated leather at the head rest. No one will do a thing about it because it's out of warranty. I had no idea at the time of purchase that we were buying "bonded" leather. Nor did anyone explain the potential issues.
I'm in the process of creating head rest covers for the couch as the rest of it and the loveseat are fine.
When I tried last year to contact the furniture mfg in Canada they were shut down for Covid. Haven't bothered to try again, but you've spurred me on to at least attempt some kind of resolution.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine1974 View Post
Re: small claims court.
I've never used it in Florida. I have twice in another state. I won and collected. The collection is the hard part. In Florida the cost seems to be a percentage of the amount sued for. If, they insure that you collect it might make sense. Typically if your win a case in small claims few are able to collect.

Truth, when I did it, it was amusing. It was at night and so I did not lose time from work
and you get stuck there till your case comes up. The other cases were like watching the peoples court.

Be sure to read a book or two on how to do it. If, you are forced to go to small claims, the goal is to WIN not to be nice-it has already gone past that point.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:17 AM
Default Opposite

We bought a couch from Family Furniture…and because of the fabric, our 2 cats decided it was a scratching post, and almost destroyed the back of it. I remembered I had purchased the extended warranty..as it was a recliner sofa, so I called (3 years after purchase). They came, determined it could not be repaired, and ordered me a BRAND NEW sofa…free of charge.
Will always purchase from them!
Old 10-23-2021, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyisle47 View Post
We feel your pain. Our leather ElRan couch has separated leather at the head rest. No one will do a thing about it because it's out of warranty. I had no idea at the time of purchase that we were buying "bonded" leather. Nor did anyone explain the potential issues.
I'm in the process of creating head rest covers for the couch as the rest of it and the loveseat are fine.
When I tried last year to contact the furniture mfg in Canada they were shut down for Covid. Haven't bothered to try again, but you've spurred me on to at least attempt some kind of resolution.
It is sadly normal business practice for many companies. When there is a problem the tactic is stall. Many people simply give up.

Covid 19 is the latest stall. Previously it was a computer error. Heck I remember in elementary school saying their dog chewed up their homework. NO IT WAS NOT ME.
The teacher, I don't recall what she said but knew we were all from the same housing development and there were no dogs allowed.

Old school, perhaps. A return receipt letter. You have proof it was delivered. You can for extra fees have restricted delivery a specific name. That can be a problem if the person is not in. A company you will likely get a rubber stamp. Even if they refuse the letter, legally it is still delivered and proof that you sent it. I'm not sure that is true of the less expensive priority mail. I've been wrestling with Florida government. Their STALL
in their records they show my letter received weeks after priority mail shows it delivered.
Also, amusing some fool sent me an e-mail showing they got my letter on a sunday.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
It is sadly normal business practice for many companies. When there is a problem the tactic is stall. Many people simply give up.

Covid 19 is the latest stall. Previously it was a computer error. Heck I remember in elementary school saying their dog chewed up their homework. NO IT WAS NOT ME.
The teacher, I don't recall what she said but knew we were all from the same housing development and there were no dogs allowed.

Old school, perhaps. A return receipt letter. You have proof it was delivered. You can for extra fees have restricted delivery a specific name. That can be a problem if the person is not in. A company you will likely get a rubber stamp. Even if they refuse the letter, legally it is still delivered and proof that you sent it. I'm not sure that is true of the less expensive priority mail. I've been wrestling with Florida government. Their STALL
in their records they show my letter received weeks after priority mail shows it delivered.
Also, amusing some fool sent me an e-mail showing they got my letter on a sunday.
I think corresponding by email is a better way to go. You have proof that the message was delivered, and proof of the contents of the message. When you mail a letter, you can only prove that a "letter" was delivered, but you can't prove what information it contained.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:17 PM

Was it made of Naugahyde?
Old 10-23-2021, 12:48 PM
Default Same problem closer to home

I had the same problem with 'Relax in Comfort' on Canal Street here in The Villages, only I didn't have to pay for the warranty; it was offered for free as part of their sales pitch. I paid over $5,000. for what amounted to an air mattress that became concave in the center. Neither the store nor the manufacturer would stand behind their product. Ironically, buy from them and you WON'T Relax in Comfort.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:13 PM
Default Best furniture price - and service - in the villages

Villages Furniture Outlet...
Call Nate.
Ashley Furniture and more - well below their sale price.
Indoor - outdoor - and he delivers - AND sets it up.
THE BEST!
Old 11-02-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Another example of extended warranties in action and failing.

Sorry it happened to the OP
We had AWESOME experience with VillagesFurnitureOutlet.com
The quality is mostly Ashley.
Their prices are almost always lower than in-store purchases.
They don't charge for delivery - or even set up.
If you don't live hear yet - they consult with your over zoom - and - can have it all set up by time you move in!
I used to consult for Thomasville -- so know the industry.
We loved Nate!
Closed Thread

Tags
furniture, family, fabric, repair, sales

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.