Beware leaving garage door open

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G
Default Beware leaving garage door open

We have a friend that lives on Simpson Street in Mallory. Last week they were working in their back yard by Stillwater Trail and their house was entered by someone and stole a lot of jewelery, I Pad, coins, and other money. Entry was thru the garage. The week before their neighbor 3 houses away had their car stolen from their open garage, while they were taking a nap. This past week end there were eight or ten deputies and 3 state troopers in unmarked cars patroling aroung Bishopville Loop and down Hengan Place. I later found out that a car was stolen from the garage or attemped to be on Bishopville Loop but don't have any other information. Just Beware and keep your Door Closed.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Sage

An savvy person would not leave their front door open. Why would someone leave their garage door open that leads into the house via an unlocked door?

That is not in a new construction area. It takes a lot of nerve to go into a house when the owner is in the backyard. Obviously someone is watching others to know what they are doing. Culprit probably is a visiting child in that area.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,389 Posts

one can only conclude some folks are not only leaving their garage door open but may also leaving their keys in the car.

In addition to the two legged snakes one has to be mindfull of snakes and gators venturing into open garages.

There are just some basic rules of safety, no matter where you live. If you would not leave your front door open, why would you leave the garage door open?

Good luck.

btk
Old 07-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
An savvy person would not leave their front door open. Why would someone leave their garage door open that leads into the house via an unlocked door?

That is not in a new construction area. It takes a lot of nerve to go into a house when the owner is in the backyard. Obviously someone is watching others to know what they are doing. Culprit probably is a visiting child in that area.
How did you arrive at that conclusion? We have visiting children in our neighborhood frequently. Are they all suspect?
Old 07-29-2013, 06:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I frequently take my morning walk between 3 and 5 AM, in Malloy. It goes without fail, that I see at least one garage door wide open. I thought Neighborhood Watch would alert these people. The most I've seen open at one time is 4.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
I frequently take my morning walk between 3 and 5 AM, in Malloy. It goes without fail, that I see at least one garage door wide open. I thought Neighborhood Watch would alert these people. The most I've seen open at one time is 4.
We left our garage door open one night (all night). Neighborhood watch called around 11pm, and again at 2am. They wanted to know if we were ok or if we were having any problems. Could not thank them enough.
Nice to know they're keeping an eye out for us.

BB
Old 07-29-2013, 07:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Most of the time, community watch vehicles speed up and down our court so fast that there is no way they could even see an open door.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

Lots of our friends leave their garage doors open if they face west to keep the heat from building up in the garage. We do from time to time, but we have a motion sensor that will alert us to anyone entering the garage. It is easy to hear even from the backyard and lanai.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
we have a motion sensor that will alert us to anyone entering the garage. It is easy to hear even from the backyard and lanai.
Seems like a good idea. What is the brand, where did you get it, how easy is it to install, where is the alarm, need wiring or is it electronic broadcast, plus any other info you think would be of interest. Thanks
Old 07-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,940 Times in 795 Posts

Well, thanks to the OP for this reminder. I just noticed DH left keys in both cars' ignitions, and the garage door open.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Seems like a good idea. What is the brand, where did you get it, how easy is it to install, where is the alarm, need wiring or is it electronic broadcast, plus any other info you think would be of interest. Thanks
It is super cheap. Super easy to use. No installation. Battery operated. Got mine at "As Seen On TV" store up on 441 or you can buy online.

driveway-alert-jpg
Old 07-29-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
How did you arrive at that conclusion? We have visiting children in our neighborhood frequently. Are they all suspect?
It is possible that someone may have an opener with the same frequency.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,021 Times in 2,512 Posts

"It is possible that someone may have an opener with the same frequency" Depending on how old the system.. Most older openers have 4 or 5 digit 4 roll frequency set where you slip the numbers from 1 to 5 making new combination to change the Frequency. Some thief's drive around with an opener till the have hit. Especially new systems cause you have go in and manually reset the factory setting, otherwise if I buy new one it maybe set on same Frequency?.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Sage

"How did you arrive at that conclusion? We have visiting children in our neighborhood frequently. Are they all suspect?"

Bold burglaries in the same neighborhood while school is out of session and children/grandchildren are visiting in the neighborhood. Are they all suspect? No, just those who know what is valuable to steal.

Keep your garage doors down and the keys to your carts and cars well inside the house - not hanging on a hook by a door, either. I have talked to a few friends here in The Villages and they normally keep their car keys in the car and cart keys in the cart while in the garage. What can you say?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
"How did you arrive at that conclusion? We have visiting children in our neighborhood frequently. Are they all suspect?"

Bold burglaries in the same neighborhood while school is out of session and children/grandchildren are visiting in the neighborhood. Are they all suspect? No, just those who know what is valuable to steal.

Keep your garage doors down and the keys to your carts and cars well inside the house - not hanging on a hook by a door, either. I have talked to a few friends here in The Villages and they normally keep their car keys in the car and cart keys in the cart while in the garage. What can you say?
I'm wondering where do you think these children are hiding the cars???
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.