Bicycle etiquette

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2023, 09:27 AM
Default Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Speaking of Bicycle etiquette, bikes riding on the MMP’s need to have rear view mirrors, be aware of golf carts stuck behind them, and slow down, pull over, and waive golf carts by to pass them. It can be painful trying to travel long distances on the paths going parallel to Buena Vista and Morse that get clogged up by bike riders not allowing carts to pass. This often causes frustrated golf cart drivers to take unnecessary risks and creates dangerous situations that should be avoidable.
If I stopped to let a golf cart pass while biking, I would not ride very much. Everyone should respect everyone's right to use any path equally. Pass when safe.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:29 AM

One does have to member its called a MMP. They have a right to be there. If you don't want surprises walk on the other side of the path so you can see what's coming.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,548 Times in 2,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
Sorry to disagree...that applies to streets, not the multi-modal paths.
It applies to anywhere you don't want to be hit by a motor vehicle. It is important to me to see what is approaching on the side of the MMP I am walking on - I walk on the left facing motor vehicle traffic.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-02-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Duh, that would be the LEFT side of the path.
I believe he was being facetious.

Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.

Joseph Stalin
Old 03-02-2023, 09:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You’re exactly right!!!
Old 03-02-2023, 09:58 AM
Default Two slow bikers hold up line of golf carts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Speaking of Bicycle etiquette, bikes riding on the MMP’s need to have rear view mirrors, be aware of golf carts stuck behind them, and slow down, pull over, and waive golf carts by to pass them. It can be painful trying to travel long distances on the paths going parallel to Buena Vista and Morse that get clogged up by bike riders not allowing carts to pass. This often causes frustrated golf cart drivers to take unnecessary risks and creates dangerous situations that should be avoidable.
I experienced TWO bikers, completely unaware of how they held-up a line of golf carts. That caused many carts that tried to pass them, a dangerous situation from on-coming golf carts in the other direction. THEIR ATTITUDE was WE own the 'road' and the golf carts can wait! There are less crowded roads to use a bicycle on especially on weekend events.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
You’re exactly right!!!
Walk into traffic & don’t walk with traffic, then maybe this person & her dog won’t get bumped. Not trying to be mean but that’s the way you should walk so you can get out of way of a bike, golf cart or car!
Old 03-02-2023, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,317 Times in 2,849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorp View Post
If I stopped to let a golf cart pass while biking, I would not ride very much. Everyone should respect everyone's right to use any path equally. Pass when safe.
Who said you need to stop? Just pull over and slow down. Some bikers feel a need to get in the middle of the lane and speed up when reaching a straightaway where carts have a safe opportunity to pass.
Old 03-02-2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
Sorry to disagree...that applies to streets, not the multi-modal paths.
Wrong!
Old 03-02-2023, 10:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,177 Times in 586 Posts
Default Size of multi-model path

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJBeck View Post
One does have to member its called a MMP. They have a right to be there. If you don't want surprises walk on the other side of the path so you can see what's coming.
Unless the path is only as wide as one golf cart. It becomes the responsibility of all to work together to enjoy the foot paths. Calculations of leash lengths, bike widths etc all play among possibility outcomes.. They are approximately that wide in the Southern area below 44.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 03-02-2023, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
If only there was some direction I could walk where I would be facing oncoming traffic.......
Just walk facing traffic and step off onto the grass when you see approaching vehicles, problem solved.
Old 03-02-2023, 11:43 AM

I used to ride a bike on the MMPs and streets that had a cart lane. It just got too dangerous with carts, dog walkers with long leashes, walkers with earbuds obvious to everything, and other bikers ignoring all traffic rules. There is plenty of blame to go around for all of the above including myself. The best advice is to have a little common courtesy and drive, bike and walk defensively.

Why anyone would walk, especially with a dog, with traffic like the OP is beyond me. You are just asking to be run over. Please walk facing traffic and step off into the grass if a cart is not pulling over far enough to pass you. You can say I have a right to the MMP just as much as a cart, and you are right. But if your dead are they going to put that on your tombstone?
Old 03-02-2023, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,548 Times in 2,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Unless the path is only as wide as one golf cart. It becomes the responsibility of all to work together to enjoy the foot paths. Calculations of leash lengths, bike widths etc all play among possibility outcomes.. They are approximately that wide in the Southern area below 44.
Where, specifically, is there a MMP only as wide as one golf cart? I've driven a lot down there and can't think of any that I have been on. You're not driving your cart on the walking trails, are you?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-02-2023, 12:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
A timely thread, given what happened to me a couple of days ago.

A single and a double bicyclist traveling toward LSL in the cart/bike lane, merged into the road long before the normal merging area and with plenty of time for me to pass them, just so they could stay ahead of me.

Not only was I then stuck behind them (I wasn't going to go into the the opposing lane to pass them, which could have been done) before the four-way stop coming up. I quickly/soon figured out why they basically cut me off though. The reason being that they had no intention of stopping at the stop sign, which I would have done ahead of them, then they proceeded to blow right through the 4-way stop without even slowing down - while I stopped at the sign as required.

Basically, they cut in front of me so they wouldn't be inconvenienced by following the law...and observing the stop sign.
Bicyclists are being VERY stupid to mess around with vehicles in that or any other situation. You may NOT have aggressive instincts but other drivers may NOT choose to be so nice. If an aggressive, reckless bicyclist meets an aggressive, reckless vehicle driver............the bicycle person LOSES and may lose their life.
.......And a further complication is that the aggressive vehicle driver MAY KEEP taking their frustrations out on EVERY other bicyclist.
Old 03-02-2023, 12:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlebasset View Post
Cyclists have the same rights and right to the road as automobiles, which I suppose is why you see them on roads in and out of the Villages that are posted for well over the speed they can maintain.

That said, my response when I see them doing something crazy, like blowing stop signs, or using the traffic circles is "Yes, you have the same right to the road as an automobile. However, that will be cold comfort when the paramedics are digging you out of someone's Ford F-150 grill".

Just because you can do something, it doesn't always mean it is wise to do it.
Good post. And I would like to add that the bicyclist is likely RETIRED and should NOT be in ANY hurry and should be ENJOYING the view, not trying to "MAKE TIME"!
.......That's why I preferred off-road bikes when I lived in AZ.
Closed Thread

Tags
bike, bell, bicycle, dog, recognize

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.