Bicycle etiquette

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2023, 03:38 AM
Default The Villages should have built dedicated Bike trails

The Villages should have built dedicated bike trails like the ones in Inverness and Santos. There is really no good place to bike in TV. Golf Cars rule the MMPs and and the biking experience is difficult on the MMPs. Even worse on the roads.
Old 03-03-2023, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
If only there was some direction I could walk where I would be facing oncoming traffic.......
Any compass direction would work. Walking on/in the LEFT lane or side would do the trick.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:01 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,137 Times in 1,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
Sorry to disagree...that applies to streets, not the multi-modal paths.
Sorry to disagree. These multi-modal paths are narrow, curving roads with heavy use by golf carts doing +20 mph and bikes zooming by. You need to see what is coming at you.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Speaking of Bicycle etiquette, bikes riding on the MMP’s need to have rear view mirrors, be aware of golf carts stuck behind them, and slow down, pull over, and waive golf carts by to pass them. It can be painful trying to travel long distances on the paths going parallel to Buena Vista and Morse that get clogged up by bike riders not allowing carts to pass. This often causes frustrated golf cart drivers to take unnecessary risks and creates dangerous situations that should be avoidable.
i use the multi use paths every day and no biker stops a cart from passing on the left oncoming lane. Many times a golf cart thinks they have the right to share the lane with a biker and come so close that they can knock the biker off his cycle. This whole tread is a joke that golf carts rule and have more rights to force bikers off the path or move over for a cart. I have witness people reckless on golf carts day after day doing stupid things and almost hurting people. There is my two words.
Most people that act like Aholes on carts can certainly use some exercise themselves!!!!
Old 03-03-2023, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,370 Times in 4,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Could be because bicycles are thinner than golf carts.
The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 03-03-2023, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,370 Times in 4,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Where is it defined that you only walk facing traffic on streets? Is there a law or formal instruction that you walk with the flow of all traffic on other passage ways?

Is there a Villages instruction or a state instruction defining the proper way? If I am walking on any path that is legally allowing vehicles to travel at speeds of 20MPH or more, I feel much safer walking on the left edge as I would on a street.
If you watch TV Golf Cart Safety video, there is a quick scene of a jogger running along the left side of an MMP, facing traffic, as a golf cart approaches...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-03-2023, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,524 Times in 2,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Where is it defined that you only walk facing traffic on streets? Is there a law or formal instruction that you walk with the flow of all traffic on other passage ways?

Is there a Villages instruction or a state instruction defining the proper way? If I am walking on any path that is legally allowing vehicles to travel at speeds of 20MPH or more, I feel much safer walking on the left edge as I would on a street.
Google was my friend:

Florida Statute 316.130(4) Where sidewalks are not provided, any pedestrian walking along and upon a highway shall, when practicable, walk only on the shoulder on the left side of the roadway in relation to the pedestrian’s direction of travel, facing traffic which may approach from the opposite direction.

Yes, this only talks about roadways and not MMPs. No, no one is going to ticket you for walking the right side of an MMP. Follow the statute when walking on MMPs because they are kind of like roadways OR follow the statute when walking on MMPs because it is safer to see what is about to pass close to you.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Closed Thread

Tags
bike, bell, bicycle, dog, recognize

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.