Bicycle riding rules

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp000 View Post
the law is the law. You can't do a rolling stop in a car, so you can't do it in a bike. Of course most people who ride bikes are above the law.
uh-oh.........
Old 07-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Villages07 is right. I often don't know how to take the comments that Paulandjean make, whether they're meant to be a joke or serious. A smiley would help.
Wearing their colors,you know thats what gangs do ,Bloods ,Crips..Not 65 year old bicycle riders. Spray paints cans, you know to mark thir territory. Gang squad of county sheriff to investigate60,65,70 year olds. Think maybe what I was trying to say was meant for a younger crowd. Do you know of any 65 or 70 year old who are in a village gang that ride bicycles. Not ready for smiley faces yet.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:05 AM
Veteran member

One person makes a comment on cyclist going thru a stop sign, and you cats assume that it is true. Then you want to beat up all cyclist. Sounds like the original poster was upset because he or she got called out. So now you try to reverse it on the group. I do not know if they did or did run a stop sign. But I do know I see cars, Motorcycles, Cyclist and golf carts and doing the same, and oh yea the SCSO seem them do it also. Come on already, everyone relax. Another day in TV.....
Old 07-23-2012, 06:26 AM

So if you have 20 cars....passing one car with headphones...all 20 cars can run a stop sign? Sounds like South American road rules...LOL Have you ever been in a cab in Lima, Sao Paulo or Mexico City? Make sure your life insurance is paid up!
Old 07-23-2012, 06:58 AM

As others have already stated very eloquently:

Nobody is saying that it is legal for cyclists to go through stop signs, but they do, so get over it. No amount of bitching in TOTV is going to stop them.

Rather, be aware of it and adjust your driving accordingly. Sure, they are in the wrong, but if you hit a line of cyclists just to make a point then what does that say about you?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
The STOP sign means STOP - it does not mean slow sufficiently. I don't believe I have seen a traffic sign in The Villages that says "SLOW SUFFICIENTLY, PLEASE".

Next time you are on the street - not multi-modal trail - slow up at a STOP sign when you see a police officer there and go right through. Explain that you slowed sufficiently and that is good as a full stop.
A State Trooper was amazed when a driver "slowed down significantly" at a STOP sign. Since he had time he pulled over the driver. "Did you see the sign?" "yeh" the driver replied. "What did you do?"

The driver replied " I yust ooooozed into the intersection."
Trooper said " lets look at the sign. What does it say?"

"Stop!" he says proudly.

"Next time you see one that says ooze then you can ooze through the intersection!"
Old 07-23-2012, 07:58 AM
Sage

Don't worry about the 20 or so cyclists who sped through the STOP sign.

The laugh will be on them when they receive their citations in the mail for not stopping at the STOP sign. They obviously forgot about the RFID chip that was implanted in their neck when they got their Villages ID Card when buying their house. The chip readers in the STOP signs gets a lot of scofflaws each and every month.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:14 AM

I feel bad for the poor car driver that has a line of cycles cut across in front of him/her ... should that driver hit one of the cyclists, I fear that the car driver will be found at fault. Stop sign or not, I have an uneasy feeling that the car driver would be the one held at fault. Big bad car vs innocent little "bike". Or, hitting the brakes hard and a following car hits car #1. Bet the cycles are long gone.
Don
Old 07-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC1947 View Post
First I'd say that Paulandjean does have a unique sense of humor but I don't know how anyone could have thought he/she was serious when he/she wrote....

Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Those village bicycles gangs are getting to be to much.Always wearing their "colors" when they ride together. Some of them are starting to carry cans of spray paint. I heard the county sheriff gang squad is investigating.

Carry on Paulandjean! Humor is the best medicine!
Thanks JoeC1947,
Old 07-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I was behind a "pack" and they kept coming out of the bicycle lanes into the car lanes. By law I have to give them 3 feet but what do I do when it forces me across the double line because they don't want to ride single file?

Obviously they have no respect for stop signs. STOP signs say STOP, I don't care if they have to stretch out into a long group. STOP means STOP.

Rules are rules. Everyone should follow them. Even the bike riders.
I'm shocked to hear of a case of bicycle riders IN the bike lanes! What I see most often is bicyclists using the car lanes when they could/should be using the unmatched miles of bike/cart lanes.

Some seem to have a death wish, especially in the car lanes on the Morse Bridge between LSL and 466......s-l-o-w-l-y peddlin' along on a recumbent bike that is very hard to see amidst car traffic! I dread the thought of hitting one of them.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:43 PM

I see more golf carts blow thru stop signs than bikes
Old 01-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

PaulaJean - thanks for the laugh! Enough bitc#ing about bike riders - its really getting old.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Sage

Thread resurrected from July 2012.....

Bill
Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Veteran member

First, it is illegal by state statue (link was posted earlier) to wear headphones / buds while operation a bicycle on public roads. I doubt this would apply to the multimodel paths, HOWEVER it is a very bad and dangerous idea to be unable to hear golf cart traffic approaching from the rear.

Second all of the teeth gnashing about cyclists (and walkers, joggers and dogs in other threads) are a reminder of why I miss my beloved beach area so very very much. There; biking, walking, dogs, skateboarding, jogging, roller blading and in some cares crawling home from the pubs ;-) are a way of LIFE. Everyone understands and stops to let people on bikes ( or skates or jogging or crawling) .... "blow through" stop signs, because it is understood what a pain it is to stop and start on a bike. Everyone just slows down and gives all of these groups a wide berth because it is no big deal!!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 PM

Wow, so many strong opinions. The walkers hate the golf carts, the golf carts hate the bike riders, the bike riders hate the cars, the cars hate the trucks. Must be Florida's friendliest hometown, right?
I blame the sherriff. In two weeks the sherriff can fix all the problems by writing tickets for all traffic violations. Pedestrian, golf cart, cars, and bicycles. I have NEVER been out and not seen speeding, not stopping for stop signs, not stopping before turning right on red, stopping on crosswalks, illegal lane changes, not stopping for open gates, to name a few.
As soon as the tickets are issued the word will travel and everyone will be safer.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.