Bicycles passing on the right?

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2016, 05:01 PM
Default Bicycles passing on the right?

Early this afternoon, I was driving north on Morse Blvd going to join some friends for lunch at Mallory Country Club. There was a man on a bicycle in the right lane. I pulled into the left lane to pass him: giving him plenty of room. After I passed him, I returned to the right lane. When I approached the roundabout near Mallory the cars were backed up. I waited my turn and was concentrating on looking left to see a clear spot to enter the roundabout. As I started to enter the roundabout, low and behold the biker was on my right. He was not turning right as I was and I nearly hit him. (Thank God I saw him in time!!) He had passed all the waiting cars at the roundabout on the right and moved up to the front. Is this legal for a bicyclist to pass cars waiting at a roundabout or a red light to pass on the right? Would I have been ticketed if I had hit him? I’m still shaking after this one.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:16 PM
Veteran member

no, it is not legal. Many cyclists only the think the law is there to protect them and fail to follow traffic laws. You don't drive a red suv do you?.....
Old 03-14-2016, 05:20 PM

No No No!!!!
A little grey car.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:35 PM
Veteran member

Most bikers follow the rule of the road, some have a death wish.
It's a pity that people like this usually take someone down with them. If I hit a biker doing what this guy did I would be very upset for a long time even though it wouldn't have been my fault. If he was killed, just think of the lives that would be changed forever. Stay on your toes and be ready for anything.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:03 PM
Sage

Yes stay on your toes. Warning: this will wear out your sneakers prematurely.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:02 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andercat View Post
Early this afternoon, I was driving north on Morse Blvd going to join some friends for lunch at Mallory Country Club. There was a man on a bicycle in the right lane. I pulled into the left lane to pass him: giving him plenty of room. After I passed him, I returned to the right lane. When I approached the roundabout near Mallory the cars were backed up. I waited my turn and was concentrating on looking left to see a clear spot to enter the roundabout. As I started to enter the roundabout, low and behold the biker was on my right. He was not turning right as I was and I nearly hit him. (Thank God I saw him in time!!) He had passed all the waiting cars at the roundabout on the right and moved up to the front. Is this legal for a bicyclist to pass cars waiting at a roundabout or a red light to pass on the right? Would I have been ticketed if I had hit him? I’m still shaking after this one.
You were in the right!! It is situations like this that give bicyclists a bad name in The Villages and it does not have to be that way!!
Old 03-15-2016, 06:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Please continue to be very careful and patient, driving. We only have two more weeks of intense population and I want every one of you posting in the middle of April.

Expect anything on the road and try to overlook a lot. Don't get angry. Expect the worst driving on the planet here in this wonderful place. If it isn't, it is close.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member

What about the practice of filtering? I think that is legal.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:53 AM

I'm a biker and I was horrified by the description of the biker's actions. I would never dream of doing what was described. You can't fix stupid!
Old 03-16-2016, 02:31 PM
Veteran member

I was driving in a neighborhood the other day as was a biker.We came to a stop sign at about the same time three different times.I stopped completely all three times.He never came to a stop at any of the stop signs,just a quick left- right head look and off.I mentioned it to a gatekeeper who said "these guys think they own the road."
Old 03-16-2016, 02:44 PM

You have to keep your head on a swivel at all the times. Glad you avoided a very nasty situation.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:48 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
I'm a biker and I was horrified by the description of the biker's actions. I would never dream of doing what was described. You can't fix stupid!
I agree. It amazes me what some bikers do and unfortunately, labels the group.
Closed Thread

Tags
roundabout, lane, pass, cars, left, hit, mallory, enter, passed, waiting, time, god, low, started, behold, biker, turning, moved, ticketed, i’m, shaking, light, front, spot, legal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.