Bicycles on rotary question

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
The 50k golf carts dont drive on the streets.
They don't?
Better check the Sumter County local laws. They say a golf cart can be driven on any roadway that has a posted speed limit of 30 MPH or less. That would include about 99 % of the roads in The Villages
Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 PM

I ride with one of the local bike clubs weekly. There is no excuse not granting the right away to the car in the round about.

And I dare say, virtually everyone of the 400 members of the club has a drivers licnese and pay road taxes.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Here's where the problem lies. They should not have the same rights on the road until they are forced to buy a vehicle registration just like everything else that uses our roadways.
You can't be serious ! !
Old 02-25-2013, 06:45 PM
Sage

Then I did read wrong...so my 1st post was also incorrect.

To the lady who stated the folks at the golf cart store said "under NO circumstances should a cart be in the round-about". Well that would be true "IF" the cart isn't street legal. Street Legal carts may go on any roadway where it's posted 35 mph or less. They also may cross any other roadway, but not drive on it (ie 466) according to Nehemiah Wolf (we asked him) at the sherriff's office.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Veteran member

Bicycles belong on the multi-modal trails, period. And helmets should be mandatory. Automobiles always have the right-of-way here, so bicyclists and gold cart drivers need to understand that and not assume that the big car will let them in and that they can do whatever they want to do.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAshby50 View Post
After the horn went off I think the woman in the back of the bike made so e kind of gesture to me.
See the problem here is that the woman in the back was annoyed because her view never changes and was just venting
Old 02-25-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
Bicycles belong on the multi-modal trails, period. And helmets should be mandatory. Automobiles always have the right-of-way here, so bicyclists and gold cart drivers need to understand that and not assume that the big car will let them in and that they can do whatever they want to do.
Apparently it doesn't matter what Florida's statutes say. People can make up their own rules here in Florida's friendliest home town.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:32 PM

well, travel guy - 50 state legislatures disagree with you.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
It sounds like you mean YOU always have the right of way. Well, you'd better hope the next 18-wheeler you encounter lets your puny car in, based on your assumption that automobiles always have the right of way...even when they don't.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:38 PM

Appreciate all the posts. I would still do the same thing in the future. Being right and in an accident is not a place I want to be.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 AM
Veteran member

It never fails, that someone wants to always blame a cyclist for something. It does not matter how, when, what or why it always seems that the cars can do no wrong. So why even post about it.
This is a retirement community so I thought after working here for the last 25 years. You would never know by the way people act and drive here. I guess the old lady that was driving thru the cart tunnel under 466 at CR-101 or the Lady driving down the MMP at Brownwood was 100% in the right and all others were are at fault for being in there way. Imagine that.
The only thing I can say is, Well I never..........

There are so many people here that do not even have a clue as the rules of the road or even how to drive. That goes for all, Cars, trucks, golf carts, cyclist, scooters,, roller bladers,, and so on..

Retirement: relax slow down at enjoy why you live here.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:43 AM

There are so many people here that do not even have a clue as the rules of the road or even how to drive. That goes for all, Cars, trucks, golf carts, cyclist, scooters,, roller bladers,, and so on..
Sad, but SO True!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
The only part of your post that makes any sense at all is that helmets should be mandatory.BTW, where can I get one of those "GOLD" carts?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 02-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzangrilli View Post
Sad, but SO True!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Veteran member

Just went thru the Morse gate (going north towards 441); the driver in front of me slammed on his brakes to be 'courteous' and allow a golf cart to cross in front of him; fortunately there was adequate space between us, and the road was not so slick from the rain. Still, he should not have done that as the golf cart was stopped (he had a stop sign). Courtesy is one thing, endangering other drivers is another.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.