Bicyclist Killed on Hillsborough Trail

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2023, 02:53 PM

I guess that's the risk you take when you chose to live in the concrete jungle north of 44 instead of south of 44 with the nature trails and dedicated bike paths.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
No truer words hav ever been posted on TOTV.
I hope when you turn 80 that the "age police" start restricting what you're allowed to do...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-28-2023, 05:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston-Sean View Post
I guess that's the risk you take when you chose to live in the concrete jungle north of 44 instead of south of 44 with the nature trails and dedicated bike paths.
Until the same thing happens south of 44... (see how that works?)

-Tom Petty
Old 03-28-2023, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodyssey View Post
In short, what rustyp is saying is "it was the bike rider's fault".

It's obvious from the comments that many Villagers hate bike riders.
What if the bike rider was riding in an automobile? The automobile is driving down a straight-a-way on Hillsborough. Another vehicle makes a left turn right into that automobile that is driving down a straight-a-way. From what I have read, this was the scenario between the bike and the golf cart. The vehicle making the left turn does NOT have the right of way. The vehicle making the left turn caused the accident. That would be the woman in the golf cart.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape Artist View Post
An 80 year old should not be on a bike unless it’s a stationary one.
What if the bicyclist was 60 years old? Should all 60 year olds ride only stationary bikes?

It has pretty much been determined that the 80 year old on the bike did nothing wrong. The fault is with the woman in the golf cart that made a left turn as the guy on the bike was riding on a straight-a-way on Hillsborough.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston-Sean View Post
Just wondering.......with all the dedicated bike and walking paths south of 44, do the golf carts have to share the roads more frequently with regular vehicles in a diamond lane in the roadway? I know north of 44 there are plenty of times the golf carts share the road with regular vehicles but it seems to me that south of 44, that would happen more frequently. No?
Old 03-28-2023, 08:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

My impression is, the developer(s) learn as they go, the first area had too steep a bridge, too low tunnels etc, next area too many types of transportation on one path, thus third (new) area better separation of different types of transportation. Cart paths are changed to become safer, better. There are very few communities in the world where golf carts are used as the main form of transportation to everywhere on roads so there are not many other existing traffic plans to follow. TV is innovative and constantly improving. There will be new problems that surface and new responses to them.

Last edited by Velvet; 03-29-2023 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Just wondering.......with all the dedicated bike and walking paths south of 44, do the golf carts have to share the roads more frequently with regular vehicles in a diamond lane in the roadway?
In my opinion, the answer to your question is No.

North of 44, there are MMPs along Morse, Buena Vista, 466, and 466A. On other long roads, carts and cars have to share the road.

In the Southern area, there are MMPs along Meggison (above Sawgrass), Marsh Bend Trail (below Magnolia Plaza), and one along the turnpike. On other long roads, like Marsh Bend Trail (above Magnolia Plaza), Fenney Way, Meggison Road (below Sawgrass), and Corbin Trail, cars and carts share the road, but bikers and walkers have their own path.

So for carts and cars, the areas south and north of 44 are about the same. For walkers and bikers, the Southern area is much better.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
What if the bike rider was riding in an automobile? The automobile is driving down a straight-a-way on Hillsborough. Another vehicle makes a left turn right into that automobile that is driving down a straight-a-way. From what I have read, this was the scenario between the bike and the golf cart. The vehicle making the left turn does NOT have the right of way. The vehicle making the left turn caused the accident. That would be the woman in the golf cart.
FYI Rustyp did not say it was the cyclist' fault - ref post #112
Old 03-29-2023, 08:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
In my opinion, the answer to your question is No.

North of 44, there are MMPs along Morse, Buena Vista, 466, and 466A. On other long roads, carts and cars have to share the road.

In the Southern area, there are MMPs along Meggison (above Sawgrass), Marsh Bend Trail (below Magnolia Plaza), and one along the turnpike. On other long roads, like Marsh Bend Trail (above Magnolia Plaza), Fenney Way, Meggison Road (below Sawgrass), and Corbin Trail, cars and carts share the road, but bikers and walkers have their own path.

So for carts and cars, the areas south and north of 44 are about the same. For walkers and bikers, the Southern area is much better.
Thank you for clarifying that.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

SOLUTIONS are never perfect but more productive than rants. The villages, it is congested that is a plus and a minus. Perhaps even more so with the snow birds.

Accident is perhaps the wrong word. The best accident is the one that does not happen. Golf cart speeds. Endless posts on this subject. The LEGAL speed is max of 20mph. Are those of you with your cart set above that in A RUSH TO RELAX?

The original post #1 tells the facts. As I scan through subsequent posts many, show their bias without any facts. Follow the rules? Sadly it is clearly a reach to assume those around you are aware, know the rules and will follow them.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
SOLUTIONS are never perfect but more productive than rants. The villages, it is congested that is a plus and a minus. Perhaps even more so with the snow birds.

Accident is perhaps the wrong word. The best accident is the one that does not happen. Golf cart speeds. Endless posts on this subject. The LEGAL speed is max of 20mph. Are those of you with your cart set above that in A RUSH TO RELAX?

The original post #1 tells the facts. As I scan through subsequent posts many, show their bias without any facts. Follow the rules? Sadly it is clearly a reach to assume those around you are aware, know the rules and will follow them.
Irrelevant to the conversation. Unless, of course, you're saying the woman in the golf cart made the left turn at full speed, which was over 20 mph...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-30-2023, 06:21 AM

all the golf carts and bickes shod Follow the rules and stop all bicks
Old 03-30-2023, 01:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Irrelevant to the conversation. Unless, of course, you're saying the woman in the golf cart made the left turn at full speed, which was over 20 mph...
Agreed, that cart would have been on it's side. Carts, speed, and turns don't place nice.

Last edited by Bilyclub; 03-30-2023 at 05:14 PM. Reason: sp
Old 03-30-2023, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianherlihy View Post
all the golf carts and bickes shod Follow the rules and stop all bicks
Rot! ah Gree.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, cart, bicyclist, killed, gaskins

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.