Bicyclists

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2020, 06:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,525 Times in 3,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by devorejh View Post
Oh wow this one really got my attention. I have never seen a biker purposely keep a cart from passing? I ride my bike three or four times a week on the very path that you have mentioned. Anytime a golf cart comes up behind me, I get over to the right as far as I can, and I even stop peddling to sort of give them the signal that you need to just come on by me. In some cases even wave them past. This is what it is done by probably most of the bikers out there. Trust me, we don’t play games with golf carts or cars as we will lose. Now, what I can tell you for sure is there are golf carts out there that don’t like the bicycles being on that path. I have had a golf cart come right between myself and some walkers at probably 23 or 24 miles an hour, close enough that either of us could’ve reached out and touched the cart. They didn’t care that they were that close! Courtesy goes both ways. Another thing that I have found to be a bit dangerous is the fact that an electric cart can come up behind you and be right on top of you and you don’t even know it. It would be nice to give just a little beep as you’re approaching to let the bicyclist know you’re behind them. From what I’ve seen 99% of the time sharing the path is never a problem.
Exactly. That's why it was such an odd thing that I felt I should share it. I worry that this virus is bringing out the worst in people, as well as the best. I'm a cyclist too and understand the unwritten courtesies involved in sharing the path with golf carts. You just don't speed up when you KNOW the vehicle behind you is trying to pass you. It's just a really wrong, stupid thing to do.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devorejh View Post
Oh wow this one really got my attention. I have never seen a biker purposely keep a cart from passing? I ride my bike three or four times a week on the very path that you have mentioned. Anytime a golf cart comes up behind me, I get over to the right as far as I can, and I even stop peddling to sort of give them the signal that you need to just come on by me. In some cases even wave them past. This is what it is done by probably most of the bikers out there. Trust me, we don’t play games with golf carts or cars as we will lose. Now, what I can tell you for sure is there are golf carts out there that don’t like the bicycles being on that path. I have had a golf cart come right between myself and some walkers at probably 23 or 24 miles an hour, close enough that either of us could’ve reached out and touched the cart. They didn’t care that they were that close! Courtesy goes both ways. Another thing that I have found to be a bit dangerous is the fact that an electric cart can come up behind you and be right on top of you and you don’t even know it. It would be nice to give just a little beep as you’re approaching to let the bicyclist know you’re behind them. From what I’ve seen 99% of the time sharing the path is never a problem.
Maybe that guy should leave home a little earlier for his tee time
Old 04-18-2020, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Sorry but I disagree. I have been riding the MM path mentioned, several times a week for almost a year. I have a Cannondale road bike and I have never even begun to have a problem. I stay to the right of the path and let carts pass me on the left, of course when there are no other carts coming in the other direction. It is not necessary at all to ride up onto the grass to let carts pass. Doing so would be more dangerous as there could be tree debris, squirrels, etc., which could cause a bicyclist to lose their balance.
Agree, this is what I do as well. I keep right and have been passed by many carts with no issues. Must we over analyze everything? You know common sense and courtesy still go a long way, even in these crazy times.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Exactly. That's why it was such an odd thing that I felt I should share it. I worry that this virus is bringing out the worst in people, as well as the best. I'm a cyclist too and understand the unwritten courtesies involved in sharing the path with golf carts. You just don't speed up when you KNOW the vehicle behind you is trying to pass you. It's just a really wrong, stupid thing to do.
Agree. Sounds like this guy was just playing games, but on a bicycle it could be lose-lose scenario.

But it's not just cyclists. Ever come up on a cart going 12 mph in the cart lane....until you pull out on the main road to pass and he speeds up to 22. You drop back behind him and he slows back down to 12?

Ever come up on some yahoo doing 35 in a 55 zone on a 2 lane road, pull out in the opposite lane when it's safe to pass and he speeds up to 70, again, only to slow back down to 35 when you fall back behind him.

Some drivers, regardless of their vehicle, are _____(you fill in the blank)

I guess they have the same philosophy as the guy who posted "if you pass someone reading a label in a one way aisle at Publix, you're cutting the line" (But I've never seen anyone reading a label drop the box on the ground, grab their cart and run down the aisle so you can't pass)
Old 04-18-2020, 06:26 AM
Veteran member

That is the reason my cart will do 32mph. not that I drive that fast I drive 20/22 mph just to be able to pass at will for so called hot shoe cart and cyclist that can ride 20+ mph
Old 04-18-2020, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
That is the reason my cart will do 32mph. not that I drive that fast I drive 20/22 mph just to be able to pass at will for so called hot shoe cart and cyclist that can ride 20+ mph
Don't get caught by a LEO with that cart----they'll pretty much throw the book at you.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:30 AM

I suggest the deputies who are patrolling the area and like to congregate in parking lots be out on the road or maybe watching those areas where we do have stop signs and start ticketing people driving bikes or golf carts for not stopping at the stop signs. Just a reminder my friend got fined $300 for not stopping at a stop sign while driving his golf cart!
Old 04-18-2020, 06:32 AM

Perhaps this is slightly off topic, but what is with the golf carts that have been re-tuned to go at ungodly speeds. The other day, I was driving in a car along Morse Boulevard north of 466. A golf cart with New York plates and a Fire Department logo (not a street legal Florida plate), was pulling into the car lane to pass other golf carts. I was going at about 30-32 mph, but she was keeping right up with me. I had to speed up a little to pass her, but I try to stay within a few miles per hour of the 30 mile limit, for safety sake and to keep my record clean ( no violations for over 50 years ). I also feel better when I drive at around the speed limit: less stressed, more relaxed. Why are so many people in such a rush around here? I see many cars driving well over the speed limit, perhaps 40 mph or even more. When they catch up to you, some will even hang on your tail for a mile or two.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:38 AM

I ride both a bike and drive a cart daily. In eleven years here I have never encountered a rude biker like described here. But I have encountered many many rude Cart drivers. These wanna be high school hot toddlers have their carts tuned to 35 mph. They pass you on blind corners and at tunnels where there is no sight distance. Doesn’t matter if you are in a cart or on a bike. They pass on the blind corners going into intersections so they can be ahead of you sitting at the stop sign. I now avoid the path between Evans Praire and Pinnelas because so many carts have passed or tried to pass into the dip where the tunnel is. There is no sight distance and they can’t see if an oncoming cart is in the dip. In addition a cart can enter the path from the tunnel or Kiideer golf course and you can’t see them. On the blind corners going into intersection I have been passed where the offending cart runs both me into the bushes and the oncoming cart off the trail. Not long ago in my cart I was passed on a blind corner by an old fool going who knows how fast as I was driving as fast as was comfortable given the corner. Had there been an oncoming cart this nimrod would have likely had a head on or swerved back into my lane and caused a wreck in that way. Slow down, it’s a multimodal path, be courteous, hey we’re retired. Being a user of both bike and cart bikes don’t bother or scare me but many cart drivers do. Many are extremely inconsiderate.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:48 AM
Sage
Default How many cyclist?

i was not there so I cannot access exactly what the cyclist were doing. Reading OP's version (which I am not disputing), I am curious how many cyclist there were, riding one behind each other.

If it were 3-4+, then I can see how that would be harder to pass, but one or two? I have never been in a scenario where I can not pass anything going 12 mph safely on the multi modal paths.

PS. I do not have a "souped up" cart.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
So you're on a multi-modal path. That's great. You should have a helmet on, but hey that won't affect me one way or another if you lose control or crash into a car at an intersection, so that's all good.

HOWEVER

if I'm behind you, in a golf cart, and the speed limit is 20, and I'm going at a reasonable pace of 16-18mph, then please let me pass you. You were going only around 9mph when I got close. I went to pass you and instead of letting me, you sped up to over 12mph. That meant it would take me a lot longer to pass you, and that's unsafe since it's a 2-way multi-modal and only enough room on it for 2 golf carts passing each other - not 2 golf carts and a bicycle.

It wouldn't have been TOO bad, if it was just as far as the stop sign.

But you went all the way from Buena Vista on the Camino Real path, all the way to Paige Place, refusing to allow me to pass you while you continued to speed up and slow down - almost as if you were daring me to go fast enough to succeed safely (which was not possible). You also rode your bike RIGHT THROUGH those stop signs. Every single one of them. On one, you didn't even slow down. You were going 12 mph right through it. That was the entry to one of the villages near the Savannah center.

Don't do that, guy. And wear a helmet if you value your safety because one of these days, the person behind you won't be me. It'll be someone who doesn't give a damn about anyone but his own convenience.

Well, well, well, and people thought that it was only the golfers that acted like they were entitled! I'll bet this 'biker' hangs out in the passing lane on the highway doing exactly the speed limit too....ha, we know their type

tough to have been stuck behind such a selfish jerk....but, hey they all wear funky colored outfits (that in a lot of neighborhoods up north you'd get the sh*t kicked out of you for wearing) and those tight fitting shorts help them sing those high notes on karaoke night...so what did ya expect anyway

I wonder if this very same thing was happening back in the Roman days when chariots encountered walkers on those Roman Roads?

Could this have also been happening when the automobile first came out and encountered slower traveling horse drawn buggies?

you see where I'm going with this....

this has been going on forever... I'll bet that there's some DNA identifier that we could test for at birth...and if you had it we could send you to behavioral modification classes....

I'm not at the point to say that we prohibit any couple where both sexes carry that DNA marker from marrying or procreating … but let's not take anything off the table just yet until we learn more
Old 04-18-2020, 06:53 AM

I'm glad there are nicer cyclists out there that will get over to the right to let a golf cart pass. My experience, however, is that most cyclists DO speed up just as I am going to pass them ...especially if there is a divide coming up, and then they slow down. It's aggressive on their part, and frustrating for the cart driver..I'm sure they drive a cart too...and I'm sure they are pretty aggressive in the cart when confronted with the same situation. Just be nice!
Old 04-18-2020, 06:57 AM

Get ready for the E-Bike revolution coming soon.
These bikes do 20+ easily.
Will this help or exacerbate the situation?
Old 04-18-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
I'm an advid biker and use the MMPs often. The only time I speed up when there is a cart behind me is if it is unsafe for me to pull over or unsafe for the cart to pass because of an oncoming cart or curve. I speed up so as not to inconvenience the cart. As soon as I see a safe straight away, I slow down, pull as far right as I can and wave the cart on. I've never had anyone in cart not say thank you to me when passing. It's simple. It's called being considerate, sharing and safe. Watch for carts and bikers that don't use turn signals. They are likely the ones to be inconsiderate of others.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:12 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
I'm not sure how a bicyclist is to "let" you pass them. If the multi-modal path is 2-lane, then you just pull out into the oncoming lane (assuming traffic allows) and pass them. If the multi-modal path is 1-lane (there are many areas where they split into two 1-lane paths), then there isn't room in that single lane for your golf cart, a bicyclist and the three feet of clearance that you are required to have by law to be able to pass them. Are you asking them to leave to path to allow you by? Usually, these single-lane sections are relatively short and even if a bicycle isn't going all that fast, you're surely not inconvenience by more than a minute or so. Are you in that much of a hurry?

By the way, the same thing is true for automobiles on roads. In areas where there is a single lane and no multi-modal (or "diamond") path, that lane isn't wide enough for a car or truck, a bicyclist and the minimum three feet of clearance. By law, the driver of the car or truck must yield to the bicyclist and not pass them until there is adequate room, which means either the road is back to two lanes or there is again a multi-model path or bicycle lane for the bicyclist to pull into.

And while there may be some jerks on bicycles who do actively slow down to frustrate drivers, they are in the minority I'm sure. If they are slowing down, it's usually because the road or path has changed inclination to become somewhat uphill. The differences may be so small as to be barely noticed in a motorized vehicle but on a vehicle powered by older human legs, it can definitely slow you down.
Did you actually read his post? The guy was doing 9mph and then sped up when he tried to pass. That’s a dips**t move no matter how you slice it.
Closed Thread

Tags
pass, golf, speed, multi-modal, path

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.