Big Doin's Just West of Brownwood

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Platinum member

I have started using Sweetbay more to avoid the parking at Colony. I also find some of the things I buy regularly much cheaper. So unless Publix has something I really want, I go to Sweetbay now. I'm sure their lack of business is also due to there being less in the plaza in general. Colony has Beall's Outlet and other stores that draw people. So people probably figure since they are going to Colony for one of the other stores, or to buy gas, they might as well shop at Publix. Need a gas station at Pinellas and more variety of shops to draw people.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:56 PM
Veteran member

in order of preference:
1. Aldi. great for staples (sugar, flour, milk, eggs, bread, some produce, frozen foods)
2. SweetBay. excellent customer service. best pricing on deli items. bread. paper goods. sale items, and also most regularly stocked items are less expensive than Publix.
3. Publix. the bakery is excellent. other than BOGO's, they are much too expensive.
4. WalMart. huge selection, pricing is only a few cents difference from other retailers. produce is very inferior.
5. Sam's. only if you want the world's largest container of mayonnaise. and Cheerios.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

I can't figure why everyone thinks "sun rises and sets" on Publix. A new Winn Dixie is a fine grocery IMHO. I don't believe there is much, if any, overall difference in prices. Both have their specials and both have their "loss leaders" from time to time.

Some of the old Winn Dixie stores were not acceptable---but the newer stores are just as clean and nice as any Publix and given how crowded the Colony Publix is----Winn Dixie is a good alternative.

They have been "scratching around" for quite some time west of Powell road. It's obvious that the Developer has commercial plans for this property. He plays his cards pretty close until he has a winning hand. In due time, we will know who and what will be built on that property.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Veteran member

I like Fresh Market for the occasional "treat". Otherwise, I'm a Publix fan. Good prices, nice fresh veggies, good meat/fish counter, excellent fried chicken. I just try to go at odd hours to miss the crowds.

I agree they have been scratching around by Brownwood for awhile but I think their scratching as of late has become more intense and it looks like they are going to do some building.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:53 AM
Sage

The stormdrain/sewer/water connections will be @ Powell road for the new villa neighborhood on the northern portion of that property. They probably have to complete at least a portion of the infrastructure to go across the commercial property.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
The main reason publix didn't build where the new sweetbay is because the developer wanted rent plus per centage of sales and corporate said to high. Instead they will build one closer to brownwood. They were going to build 2 more stores but changed their minds and will go with 2 very busy stores, especially once fruitland park is up and running. As far as shelves being empty of the bogo items, there is always a disclaimer in the add that quanities may be limited. That means they only get x number of sales items oer store and when they are gone, they hopefully willbin on the next truck. Otherwise you can always get a rain check.
Three very busy stores, if the one up by SS is a TV Publix. It wasn't the BOGOs that people complained about not being restocked in the Publix at Colony. It was the general merchandise that people on this forum mentioned their running out of during the busy season.

We like to shop at Winn Dixie in Wildwood for bulk shopping, so I will be glad when Sweetbay switches over. We were told at the Sweetbay store that they started the build before the sale to Winn Dixie started, and the contracts and subs were already signed and in place, so they had to go ahead with it. I'm not sure I believe that (somebody somewhere must have known a sale was in the works).
Old 12-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Veteran member

At an employee awards dinner 3 years ago i sat at the table with a district manager and also a person involved in long range planning. They both said long range plan was for 2 more stores after colony. In the last year the district manager who tours stores quite often and always chats with employees, said when i asked him why didn't publix build at pinellas he said combo of things. One they decided on only 1 more store and didn't like the rent/profit arrangement. This was before the fruitland park project was announced so who knows.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:53 PM

Anyone hear whether a gas station will be in this area?
Old 12-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Three very busy stores, if the one up by SS is a TV Publix. It wasn't the BOGOs that people complained about not being restocked in the Publix at Colony. It was the general merchandise that people on this forum mentioned their running out of during the busy season.
snipped
I do get a chuckle re the comments about either grocery being out of something on a special or just not there in 'season'...it is so easy to get a rain check for same! I love to do that re specials because I can then buy the item when i NEED it rather than when it is on special!

Old 12-18-2013, 03:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
I do get a chuckle re the comments about either grocery being out of something on a special or just not there in 'season'...it is so easy to get a rain check for same! I love to do that re specials because I can then buy the item when i NEED it rather than when it is on special!
Like I said, it wasn't the store specials or BogoS that people were complaining about the Colony Publix being out of. it was their general merchandise that they were running out of during the winter season, and a store manager was quoted as saying they would not adjust their volume for the winter season... which I'm not sure I believe because that just makes no financial sense whatever.

But if you go shopping there because you need items and the stock's not there, that's not a good thing.

I really like the Publix at SS and wish the one at Colony were as spacious. I would brave that parking lot if it were. But I'm happy Sweetbay-turned-Winn Dixie is there, and I will gladly support it.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

OK I will be the sacrificial lamb and ask.....what are BOGO's?
Old 12-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Sage

Buy-one-get-one free
Old 12-18-2013, 10:06 PM

I love shopping at Publix, Nobody has Deli Meats like they do..Boars Head all the way! Bogos are great and produce dept may be slightly higher at times but so worth it. I love everything about the store and will put up with the parking lot anyday..It's good for us to walk anyway!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.