Bike riders on the sidewalks

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2021, 07:06 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaPoulin View Post
I, myself ride a bike. It is only common courtesy when riding on the sidewalks with walkers to let them know when you are coming by yelling out "On your left". Don't just assume people can hear you coming because they don't. I cant believe more accidents don't happen. And then when you ask the riders to say something, they rudely respond back. If you don't want to be bothered with warning people, then ride on the side of the road where you really belong. I wish they had a rule that all bikers are not to be on the sidewalk before 10:00 a.m. When most people are walking their dogs or walking on the sidewalks. We need to all be considerate of one another. We are so lucky in the southern area of the villages to have sidewalks and the paths on the side of the road. There's no reason for us to feel like we are taking our life in our hands when we are walking on the sidewalks. Many people I know have stopped walking for this simple reason. It's wonderful to be able to start your day off without having to worry about getting hurt while you are just trying to get some exercise.
Its illegal to ride bikes on any sidewalk.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagesgal View Post
Many complain about cyclists riding on the road with cars and many complain about cyclists riding on the multi modal paths and now many complaining about cyclists riding on the sidewalks. This is ridiculous.
It’s really getting old. People hate cyclists no matter where they ride. I had thought that the 30 MPH roads with the diamond lanes were places where we wouldn’t get yelled at, but I found out I was wrong a few days ago. I was leading a group of eight and came upon a lone rider who was doing about 1-2 MPH less than us, so we moved into the main lane and apparently took too long to pass. So, some lovely individual in a cart yelled at us for not being in the diamond lane as he passed us via the oncoming-traffic lane.

Everyone seems to hate us. I wonder if it’s because they are jealous that we are in much better shape and better looking than they are. 😃

But seriously, other countries have embraced cycling and cyclists are respected. I wish people in the good ole USA would get with the program and leave the hostile, aggressive attitudes at home.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:22 AM

I have a bell on our bikes and ding it at least 30 feet before I reach the walkers
Old 04-11-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
I, myself ride a bike. It is only common courtesy when riding on the sidewalks with walkers to let them know when you are coming by yelling out "On your left". Don't just assume people can hear you coming because they don't. I cant believe more accidents don't happen. And then when you ask the riders to say something, they rudely respond back. If you don't want to be bothered with warning people, then ride on the side of the road where you really belong. I wish they had a rule that all bikers are not to be on the sidewalk before 10:00 a.m. When most people are walking their dogs or walking on the sidewalks. We need to all be considerate of one another. We are so lucky in the southern area of the villages to have sidewalks and the paths on the side of the road. There's no reason for us to feel like we are taking our life in our hands when we are walking on the sidewalks. Many people I know have stopped walking for this simple reason. It's wonderful to be able to start your day off without having to worry about getting hurt while you are just trying to get some exercise.
In some places a bike rider can get a ticket for riding their bike on a sidewalk. Bike riders go with the traffic, walkers walk against traffic "easy peasy"
Old 04-11-2021, 07:31 AM

Shouldn’t ride on sidewalks period.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,408 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Its illegal to ride bikes on any sidewalk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydavid View Post
In some places a bike rider can get a ticket for riding their bike on a sidewalk. Bike riders go with the traffic, walkers walk against traffic "easy peasy"
Quote:
Originally Posted by talonip View Post
Shouldn’t ride on sidewalks period.
Florida law says otherwise. In Florida, bicycles are allowed on the sidewalks. Easy google search to find references including Florida Statute 316.2065.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-11-2021, 07:44 AM
Default Bicycles and pedestrians

Quote:
Shouldn’t bikes be riding on right with traffic and walkers on left facing traffic, so pedestrians would see incoming bikes or golf carts on multimodal paths.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:46 AM

Where I come from bikers unless small children are not supposed to be on sidewalks. Sidewalks are for walkers
Old 04-11-2021, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Typical of all of these threads. Too many people think the world revolves around them.
That is everywhere including the villages.

I am surprised that two people I knew from business have bought places in the back woods. One in Vermont and another with 140 acres in North Carolina.

I expect there will be posts blaming bike riders, others blaming walkers and other golf carts and cars.

I could visit my friend in Vermont or the one in North Carolina. My back is too old for that.
I could take my mountain bike. I doubt they would be happy seeing me ride off leaving them to do work.

There are options.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:05 AM
Default Electric Bikes

The addition of electric bikes has further exasperated the problem. They absolutely should be prohibited from any walking paths. For some reason it is the men bikers who are the most aggressive and inconsiderate. In Feb. one called my wife a horrible name when he almost crashed into her. I was there and it came close to a physical confrontation. No one speaks to my wife that way.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
It’s really getting old. People hate cyclists no matter where they ride. I had thought that the 30 MPH roads with the diamond lanes were places where we wouldn’t get yelled at, but I found out I was wrong a few days ago. I was leading a group of eight and came upon a lone rider who was doing about 1-2 MPH less than us, so we moved into the main lane and apparently took too long to pass. So, some lovely individual in a cart yelled at us for not being in the diamond lane as he passed us via the oncoming-traffic lane.

Everyone seems to hate us. I wonder if it’s because they are jealous that we are in much better shape and better looking than they are. 😃

But seriously, other countries have embraced cycling and cyclists are respected. I wish people in the good ole USA would get with the program and leave the hostile, aggressive attitudes at home.
Years ago I saw a TV show about a young couple in China. They were environmental professors. Had just had a baby. Formerly they got to work by bicycle. They were apologizing for buying a car, burning fuel, pollution etc. There are so many cars, now, in China that they no longer feel safe on a bicycle.

Everyone thinks they are perfect. Respect is an interesting term. It is always someone else. I've personally seen 20-30 bicyclists going through the round a bouts in a continuous procession so that cars simply cannot turn.

On this tread as on all the others you will see people say, bike riders do did........., walkers,
do did that.............., cars do did...............

Not a single post, I did not realize, I did not see it as others see me.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:17 AM

A bell is the best idea. We use the paths for walks and bikes with a bell are, in my opinion, better for both the bike rider and pedestrians.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:19 AM

Bicycles are vehicles as are golf carts, walkers should stay on the left facing oncoming vehicles. Whether be roads, MMP or paths, this would provide safety for all traveling.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:31 AM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts
Default Take off your earphones

Quote:
Where are these sidewalks? I have never seen any in TV. I always use my bicycle bell or call out when approaching a walker but many of them have earphones on and do not hear me. They need to turn down the volume and stay to the right.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:32 AM
Veteran member
Default Warnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Solely my opinion yelling "on your left" maybe more harmful than helpful. We are a community of seniors. Hearing loss is prevalent with age. Walkers especially on the MMP's tend to hug the right side. Why - because they know a golf cart will be coming behind them where they can't see. They also recognize the sound of a golf cart instantaneously without having to look. Thus they know the situation and are not startled and less likely to jump. So when a cyclist yells the walker needs to deductive reason for multiple items rather than go into a trained response like move over to your right. 1 no forewarning like an engine sound. 2 The yell startles them and then the concentration goes into digesting what was said not necessarily run for cover. 3 Natural reaction when startled is to seek safety. The walker is already on the side of the MMP and a natural reaction maybe moving to center is safer than spraining an ankle on the edge of the blacktop and grass. Thus they went in the exact opposite direction the cyclist wanted them to go.

Solution - maybe ? Remember when we were kids the bikes had the bell you pushed with your thumb ? If most of our cyclists were equipped with this it could be a better situation than yelling. The walker gets used to what that sound means and now instinctively knows how to react. Like how your were trained what the good humor truck sound meant. Eliminates what did they say to interrupt also. Like knowing the sound of a golf cart.

MY Point - a bell VS. yelling could make for more of an instinctive VS. interpretive situation for the walker.

Attachment 89033
I am a biker and always give warning. That being said it is not always safe for bikers to ride on streets with the impaired older drivers either. As to the walkers if they would stay to the left facing traffic like you're taught since you were a child, they would know what type of traffic is approaching at all times. Pretty simple.

Tags
sidewalks, people, walking, reason, side

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.