Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

/// duplicate
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

I am going to ride where I feel safe.

The bells are nice, though. I use them repeatedly. Women generally hear them males not so much.

I have two bells (ding, ding and Brriing, Brrring) a 12 volt motorcycle style horn and a stadium horn. Yes, the walkers get the bell but many are on their phone, listening to tunes or flat out oblivious.

I'll tell you I have had to use the horn and air horn for the carts repeatedly. There are some serious idiots out there. That's why I and others avoid the carts.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Wahhhhhhhhht? You must be referring to the MMP's.

From dictionary.com:
side·walk

/ˈsīdˌwôk/
The Villages Florida Learn to pronounce

noun North American

noun: sidewalk; plural noun: sidewalks

a paved path for pedestrians at the side of a road.

Example:
I guess that picture was taken in one of the old-fashioned villages north of Route 44.

There is no place like that in the new modern areas south of 44..
Old 04-10-2021, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
I guess that picture was taken in one of the old-fashioned villages north of Route 44.

There is no place like that in the new modern areas south of 44..
Yea, lots of antique stuff where we live on the other side of the tracks, I mean 44 over in the 4-30 year old areas. You guys must have moving walkways and no peddle required bike paths down there in the new world.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:03 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I think references to sidewalks, walking paths, multi-modal paths, and golf cart lanes on roads are mixed and very unclear in this thread. I would hope the references people are making would be clarified before this thread takes a turn toward nastiness which can so easily happen due to such misunderstandings.
Don't forget the hike and bike trails.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,079 Times in 2,746 Posts

Remember that when you are riding your bike and you shout "on your left", that hearing aids are very prominently advertised in the Daily Sun and other publications earmarked toward Villagers. Assuming someone hears you is about as bad an idea as assuming a blinker means someone is turning. Be cautious out there.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
We don't ride our bikes north of Route 44. We ride a lot on he walking/biking paths in the Southern Area.

If we encounter walkers with a dog, we slow down a lot and the walkers always pull their dog closer to them. Then we can easily get past them.
This ^^^

If you want to ride your bike at breakneck speed (hell, I know I do!) then the hillsborough/buena vista/pinellas/moyer loop is a great place to ride fast with minimal stops.

Fenny Way->Warm Springs is a pretty decent loop too if you don't want to go up north.

A decent option to stay off of the road is Hogs Eye multimodal path->Waterlilly Bridge->Meggison multimodal path up to Brownwood. Of course you need to deal with maniac cart drivers but it's probably safer than the roads.

Joe
Old 04-11-2021, 05:40 AM
Platinum member
Talking

A lot of the single walkers that I see are listening to their airpod bluetooth devices.
They may not hear a command or bell.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I think references to sidewalks, walking paths, multi-modal paths, and golf cart lanes on roads are mixed and very unclear in this thread. I would hope the references people are making would be clarified before this thread takes a turn toward nastiness which can so easily happen due to such misunderstandings.
MMP refers to Multiple Modes Paths which means bikes, walkers and carts are welcome on them. The bottom line is everyone needs to stay alert, be polite and drive, walk or ride defensively just as we learned in drivers education many years ago.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaPoulin View Post
I, myself ride a bike. It is only common courtesy when riding on the sidewalks with walkers to let them know when you are coming by yelling out "On your left". Don't just assume people can hear you coming because they don't. I cant believe more accidents don't happen. And then when you ask the riders to say something, they rudely respond back. If you don't want to be bothered with warning people, then ride on the side of the road where you really belong. I wish they had a rule that all bikers are not to be on the sidewalk before 10:00 a.m. When most people are walking their dogs or walking on the sidewalks. We need to all be considerate of one another. We are so lucky in the southern area of the villages to have sidewalks and the paths on the side of the road. There's no reason for us to feel like we are taking our life in our hands when we are walking on the sidewalks. Many people I know have stopped walking for this simple reason. It's wonderful to be able to start your day off without having to worry about getting hurt while you are just trying to get some exercise.
I believe that if a bicyclist runs over a pedestrian walking on a multi-modal path, the bicyclist will usually be found to be at fault if it goes to court. One nice thing about bicycles is that they have brakes and can slow down if necessary, or even stop for a few choice phrases.

Riding onto the grass for a few yards sometimes works, but be careful and use both hands. My youngest son is an expert cyclist who likes to ride centuries. One day, however, while riding across his college campus on a sidewalk, holding his laptop computer in one hand and the handlebars with the other, he swerved onto the grass to avoid a pedestrian. His bicycle’s front wheel caught in the crevice between the sidewalk and the grass, flipped him, and he landed abdomen first on the handlebars, rupturing his spleen. Only emergency surgery and removal of his spleen saved his life. That could be you!
Old 04-11-2021, 06:07 AM
Veteran member

Walkers are supposed to walk on the LEFT side of the paths, walking into traffic coming toward them, so they can see what’s coming at them and can step aside.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslices1 View Post
Walkers are supposed to walk on the LEFT side of the paths, walking into traffic coming toward them, so they can see what’s coming at them and can step aside.
But they are all over the place and are rarely on the left facing traffic.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Old 04-11-2021, 06:31 AM

Many complain about cyclists riding on the road with cars and many complain about cyclists riding on the multi modal paths and now many complaining about cyclists riding on the sidewalks. This is ridiculous.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
Multimodal paths. There are no sidewalks. I ride on the neighborhood streets. Just easier that way.
Nice Profile Pic my PB friend!!!!
Old 04-11-2021, 07:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslices1 View Post

Simple but excellent point. The problem should rarely be encountered on MMP's and sidewalks. No reason not to walk on the left on those. Giving this a little further thought the OP mentioned dog walkers. Most people are right handed and it likely be natural to hold the dog leash in the right hand. If you were doing this you might be inclined to walk on the right side such that the leash does not cross your body and be a trip hazard. In this case it is the dog walker that has put the cyclist in a bad situation.

Last edited by rustyp; 04-11-2021 at 08:34 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
sidewalks, people, walking, reason, side

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.