Bikes on the road

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2021, 07:08 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
When bikes stop they lose momentum. On multimodal paths you stop, a lot.

On multimodal paths there are many types of vehicles and walkers which travel at different speeds creating obstacles. Walkers are generally unaware that bikes are behind them no matter how much you signal, speak, or yell. They fail to yeild

Golf carts are unaware of physics, that on four wheels you take corners very slowly and bikes do not. Many golf cart operators are rude and operate their carts in dangerous ways.

Roads do not have tunnels. No tunnels mean you can maintain cadence. Pedal cadence is important to cyclists.

Finally, and some what obvious by now: multimodal paths are dangerous for cyclists. It is legal for cyclists to operate on the road, not so for most golf carts, and not so for walkers when a sidewalk is available.

I hope this answers the question.
Perfect accurate answer
Old 09-18-2021, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Cyclists have to stop at stop signs and yield at yield signs. Why?. Because it's the law. Considering cyclists don't yield the right of way, leading to them getting hit by a car, who are they going to "prosecute" then. Besides, prosecuting drivers for an accident is a pipe dream unless they are impaired, speeding, or acted intentionally.

So how about cyclists embrace cars as part of their "daily driving experience", but don't ignore them like they ignore stop signs and yield signs, and not be in a "hurry" and respect the rights of other vehicles instead of maintaining their "pedal cadence".
I know of 3 motorists prosecuted for major felonies including vehicular homicide when the motorist "close shaved" a group of cyclists leading to one's death. The motorist is still in prison. I've witnessed the arrest of a motorist who injured a cyclist during a ride.

Yes, cyclists should obey the laws like anyone else. That goes without question.

Respect others with right to the road. RELAX ..we live in The Villages!!!
Old 09-18-2021, 07:11 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall22204 View Post
You answered nothing. Bicycles should only be allowed where golf carts are allowed
Thats your opinion. Not the law
Old 09-18-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
It's really nice to cruise along in my car without having to stop/slow down/change lanes for cyclists. ONLY 15 mph slower than the speed limit?????? That's like a car doing 55 on the interstate. <sarcasm>

In reality, I have no problem with cyclists on the roads with one exception-----they ARE REQUIRED to follow vehicular traffic laws, but frequently do not. The best example is blowing through the yield signs at a RB in a pack of 20. YOU ARE REQUIRED TO YIELD. PERIOD. I don't care if it disturbs your "pedal cadence". Too bad. When I have to yield in a car or cart, it disturbs my rhythm as well. What disturbs me more is coming around a RB and having to brake as 20 cyclists continue to blow through a yield sign. And I mean come to a complete stop for these clowns. You are NOT a funeral procession. You have no special privileges. If you want to exercise your "right" to be on a main road, then you should obey the rules that accompany that right. And then God forbid you lean on your horn----note the one finger salutes en masse.
If the cyclists are in the roundabout first, they have the right away as any car does. That is the law. Motorists actions (no matter how frustrated they are the cyclists are using the road) leading to a cyclist injury or death can be prosecuted as a major felony.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Dream on. You hit a cyclist that blew through a stop sign and you think the car driver will be charged with a felony? Well, Disney did open Fantasyland again.
If a motorist had the opportunity to stop to prevent hitting the cyclist...regardless of fault...yes, they can be prosecuted. It happens every day.

I live in a happy world of fact. I don't let emotion rule my interpretation of right vs wrong. Enjoy your day!
Old 09-18-2021, 07:26 AM

What you're seeing is mainly road bikers. There the bikes with skinny tires that are designed to go fast. These bikers don't want to be on trails where you have walkers, runners, golf carts and slower bikers. Please keep in mind they have a right to be on the road.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall22204 View Post
You answered nothing. Bicycles should only be allowed where golf carts are allowed
Third hole? (That’s a joke, son. I say, that’s a joke)
Old 09-18-2021, 07:34 AM

First of all you calling these bikers CLOWNS tells me you don't like them and don't want them there PERIOD. Which makes you the problem. When a group of bikers goes through a ROUND
-ABOUT the WHOLE group has the right away until the WHOLE group goes through. That's the law!!!! Get a grip BOZO!!!!
Old 09-18-2021, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 1776 View Post
If the cyclists are in the roundabout first, they have the right away as any car does. That is the law. Motorists actions (no matter how frustrated they are the cyclists are using the road) leading to a cyclist injury or death can be prosecuted as a major felony.
No kidding. I'm referring to cyclists in packs blowing through the yield sign to ENTER the RB. I hope you are stating that any individual cyclist already in the RB has the right of way, NOT that the first cyclist in a RB gives the right of way to the other 30 cyclists behind him.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
Just curious but I’ve noticed there are always bikers riding on the main road. IE Morse, or Buena Vista, when the Multi paths are literally running parallel. Why do they do this?
I've spoken to several serious bikers (not the road racer ones) and the main reason seem to be that it is safer for them on the main road. Was told that the multimodal path was much more dangerous. They'd all been almost hit & some run off the path by carts while those driving autos (for the most part) were more considerate.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 1776 View Post
If a motorist had the opportunity to stop to prevent hitting the cyclist...regardless of fault...yes, they can be prosecuted. It happens every day.

I live in a happy world of fact. I don't let emotion rule my interpretation of right vs wrong. Enjoy your day!
Agree. In any accident, at least in civil law, it generally considered the fault of the last person with a reasonable opportunity to avoid it.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:45 AM

You are correct. I ride a bike on some paths but not on others. When on the paths there are many walkers wearing earbuds and don’t here you when indicate your going to pass. Maybe one ear bud only might help
Old 09-18-2021, 07:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1975 View Post
First of all you calling these bikers CLOWNS tells me you don't like them and don't want them there PERIOD. Which makes you the problem. When a group of bikers goes through a ROUND
-ABOUT the WHOLE group has the right away until the WHOLE group goes through. That's the law!!!! Get a grip BOZO!!!!
First of all, some people need to learn how to read. I referred ONLY to cyclists who blow through a yield sign as clowns. I also stated I have no problem with cyclists on the roads. So YOU get a grip.

Now, IF, and it's a big IF the law recognizes a pack of cyclists as a single entity and gives them the right to go through a RB, or intersection or whatever as a whole, thank you for correcting me. I will check it out, since I have my doubts that the law would consider a pack of cyclists a protected class that doesn't have to obey the same traffic laws as all other vehicles.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1975 View Post
That doesn't appear to be the law in Florida:
316.2065 Bicycle regulations.

As you seem so sure of your assertion, can you point to the Florida Statute that supports it?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 09-18-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
You do realize that they are the same drivers?
The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
road, bikes, multi, paths, literally

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.