Bikes on the road

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2021, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeser View Post
I am largely in agreement with your post except "the MMPs are NOT dangerous for bikers." MMP's are less dangerous than the roads, but they are not without risk. There are a minority of cart drivers that simply will not stay on their side of the road (or pass you 1-2 feet to your left), and that is particularly dangerous around blind corners. There have been at least one-half dozen times when I have come around a corner only to be head to head with a golf cart coming right at me. One day, I even saw a golf cart slam into a pedestrian and knock her flat on the pavement. Fortunately, the driver was going slow and I think the pedestrian ended up being only stunned.

Please, golf cart drivers, imagine a center line and stay on your side of it.
The most interesting aspect of this thread is how posters split into "tribes". I would think most cyclists also drive a car, a golf cart, and at some point are pedestrians as well. Human nature is such that a cyclist is annoyed when coming up on a slow pedestrian on a MMP. When driving his cart, the same cyclist is annoyed at a slow cyclist. When driving his car on BV or Morse, he is annoyed at so called "street legal" carts. And on the interstate he is annoyed at a car driving 50 in the left lane. It all looks like a matter of perspective, but it is all the same people just driving different vehicles at different times.

As far a cyclists on the roads go, I'm fine with it as long as they follow the applicable laws. It just seems from these threads when they come up that at least some cyclists are very knowledgeable of what the law states about cars, but don't seem to want to know what the law says about the cyclists. Also, there are cyclists and there are cyclists. There are some who are very serious and have even passed me in my cart. Then there are quite elderly riders who are wobbling around at 4 mph---and it's very frightening to see one of them headed out onto BV, especially considering some pedestrians could pass them on the MMPs

However, on the MMPs, even though I don't ride I would vote that the cyclists are the best behaved group. Both pedestrians and cart drivers act like they own the path---I just love to be on the MMP and have 3 pedestrians across the whole path walking right at me, yacking away and not moving 1 inch. Likewise, I've seen carts go full speed around a blind curve in the oncoming lane. At least cyclists seem to have a head on their shoulders.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacjag View Post
In reality, and according to that statute, treating a group of 10 or less as a single entity only applies to stop signs. The prior reference was to groups ignoring yield signs at roundabouts. This statute does not apply and, therefore, the individuals must yield to any vehicle already in the roundabout.
I couldn't find anything that specifically related to yield signs. Do they have to stop individually like cars? Do they get to go in groups of 10 like a stop sign? I don't know, but it would seem odd that the law would allow groups of 10 through stop signs but hold them individually at a yield sign.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 1776 View Post
I get it ..you don't want them on the road ... especially a group. Here's the reality....they are safer in a group and it's not against the law for them to do so. Cyclists riding as a group is actually safer and more convenient for motorists than riding single file.

You don't want to wait on a cycling group as a whole in a RB? Seriously???!! So, you want each individual cyclist to go independently between separate cars???!!! How completely unsafe and obtrusive is that for everyone? How long do you want everyone to wait for 30 cyclists to enter a busy RB just because you don't want to wait 10 seconds?
Calm down... relax...take a deep breath. What are you in such a hurry to do in The Villages that you can't be delayed a few seconds?

SMH 😁

SMH
No, you STILL don't get it. I don't care if they are on the road, I only want them to obey the law. I cited the law that allows groups of 10 through stop signs. Surely you're not suggesting they should go 30 and disobey the law?

But to answer your question, NO, I don't want to wait "10 seconds" at a dead stop in a RB when I have the right of way----some "bozo" may plow right into my rear. How about those cyclists wait 5 seconds to enter the RB, in accordance with the law? I don't think I'm the one who needs to calm down and relax.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:17 AM
Smile Bike riders

As these regular posters are want to do they've taken a legitimate comment/question and turned it into a slam against one group or another: Bikers vs carters, vs walkers, vs runners.

In my opinion there are two issues as it relates to bikers: Single riders and group riders. Don't know if I've seen group riders on the MMPs but if there are, they ought not be there eventhough it's legal to do so. Legal or not, it is unsafe. Single riders on the other hand should ride where they are most comfortable.

I use MMP a lot and have yet to encounter an issue with a biker. Sure, I have to slow down until I can get safely around them but "them's the rules of the road" and wht common courtesy demands. Likewise with walkers/runners though for these folks it's much easier and safer for them to step off the road than for a biker to pull off and stop. Yet,I am always ready to stop if I can not safely swing wide to give them plenty of room whether in cart lane or on MMP.

The main problem with walkers/runners early AM and Late PM is being able to see them as many wear dark clothes and do not carry any kind of light or reflective vest. In the AM on my way to play golf I avoid the MMP where I can for this very reason and remain vigilant for walkers. I drive in the street as long as there are no cars behind me so I don't have to worry about a "pop-up" walker that I couldn't see. Though I know sense is not common, if we all practice it along with the golden rule these and many other issues would go away.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:54 AM

I almost hit one driving down Buena Vista. I went to the sheriffs office on 466 to ask that very question. And the response from the sheriff said because They can. And it’s worldwide. I don’t understand why bikers are allowed to be put themselves in such a dangerous ride. The recreation trails would be perfect for them to use
Old 09-18-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davonu View Post
Wow, I'll address just a couple of the misconceptions conveyed here. I am a long-time bike rider in TV. I ride almost daily and I use the multimodal paths (MMPs) exclusively.

On my average 10-15 mile ride, I encounter a few stop signs. Other than that, it very rare I have to stop. My ride is almost non-stop riding the whole way.

Even more important, the MMPs are NOT dangerous for bikers. In my opinion, the streets are far more dangerous. When I ride on an MMP, I am totally in control of my own safety. On the street, a biker's life is in the hands of every driver of a car or truck going 40+ mph as they drive by. I will not yield my control of my own safety. I have a couple basic rules I abide by on the MMPs to maintain that control...

I ride a hybrid bike, so if I see a cart or pedestrian that I think might be a conflict somehow, I exit onto the adjacent grass as needed. A piece of cake. Almost all areas have those grass exit areas. If I approach an area without an exit area, I search for approaching carts and adjust my speed as needed if necessary to avoid any conflict. Again, no problem at all.

I have ridden my bike on streets in my previous lives. Now riding my bike on the MPs in TV is one of my favorite parts of living here. Safety is a big reason for that. All the beauty and nature in the environment I ride in is just icing on the cake.
You have been lucky. My husband was hit by golf carts from behind 4 times on the multi modal lane and hospitalized each time by careless cart drivers over a 11 year period and only once while driving on the roads, again from behind by a reckless driver. Be was a professional racer, so knows the rules and how to ride. The cart drivers all said that they didn't see him in his bright yellow or orange bike shirt. Be careful out there, there is no fully safe place for bike riders, and on a bike you are never fully in control of your own safety anywhere.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:08 AM
Default Bicyclists on the road

I see nothing wrong with bicyclists in the road. It is when you have multiple bikes on the roan and take the entire lane. They need to stay to the side of the road.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:17 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagesgal View Post
You have been lucky. My husband was hit by golf carts from behind 4 times on the multi modal lane and hospitalized each time by careless cart drivers over a 11 year period and only once while driving on the roads, again from behind by a reckless driver. Be was a professional racer, so knows the rules and how to ride. The cart drivers all said that they didn't see him in his bright yellow or orange bike shirt. Be careful out there, there is no fully safe place for bike riders, and on a bike you are never fully in control of your own safety anywhere.
It is very possible that they didn't see him. I have seen so many drivers, cart and automobile, that absolutely shouldn't be operating anything more complicated than a tricycle.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I couldn't find anything that specifically related to yield signs. Do they have to stop individually like cars? Do they get to go in groups of 10 like a stop sign? I don't know, but it would seem odd that the law would allow groups of 10 through stop signs but hold them individually at a yield sign.
You only stop at yield signs if you have to yield to oncoming traffic...

So, the comparison isn't really there...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-18-2021, 11:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpduffey View Post
I see nothing wrong with bicyclists in the road. It is when you have multiple bikes on the roan and take the entire lane. They need to stay to the side of the road.
One bike, or multiple bikes, they still are entitled to their lane...

You may pass them, in your car when it's safe to go around them...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-18-2021, 11:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
You only stop at yield signs if you have to yield to oncoming traffic...

So, the comparison isn't really there...
Let's just assume I'm talking about yield signs when traffic IS approaching. If there is no traffic then does a tree falling in the forest make a sound??????
Old 09-18-2021, 11:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Let's just assume I'm talking about yield signs when traffic IS approaching. If there is no traffic then does a tree falling in the forest make a sound??????
I don't know... But the corollary to that is, "If a man speaks in the forest and his wife isn't there to hear him, is he still wrong?"

I think we ALL know the answer to that one!

-Tom Petty
Old 09-18-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagesgal View Post
I’m sorry for your husband’s misfortune.

But I think I’ve been “lucky” at least partially due to the riding habits I detailed in my post. I am not on the pavement when a cart is anywhere near me. If that’s luck, I plan to maximize it every time I ride.
Old 09-18-2021, 12:48 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 1776 View Post

Yes, cyclists should obey the laws like anyone else. That goes without question.
Yes they should obey laws and rules of the road, but unfortunately the majority don’t!
Old 09-18-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
No, you STILL don't get it. I don't care if they are on the road, I only want them to obey the law. I cited the law that allows groups of 10 through stop signs. Surely you're not suggesting they should go 30 and disobey the law?

But to answer your question, NO, I don't want to wait "10 seconds" at a dead stop in a RB when I have the right of way----some "bozo" may plow right into my rear. How about those cyclists wait 5 seconds to enter the RB, in accordance with the law? I don't think I'm the one who needs to calm down and relax.
I'm totally calm...lol! Enjoying the absurdity of comments. Cyclists are here to stay...in fact, we're growing in numbers everyday.
The majority of owners are cyclists in the new areas south.
They are below 65 and cycle into all areas of TV. How do I know...because I'm one of them.
Whether you let 10 or 30 through at a RB doesn't matter. Just remember, you hit or cause a cyclist to be injured...there's going to be witnesses (a lot of us wear GoPros) and if you could have avoided them...you are going to be held responsible. That's not conjecture...it's fact...and the law.
Enjoy your day ..I'm going out to ride!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
road, bikes, multi, paths, literally

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.