Bikes on the road

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
That does answer it, thanks. i don’t drive my golf cart anywhere, as I’m in a newer section and there’s no place to go yet. I do however ride my bike and agree about momentum and really agree about walkers never knowing I’m coming up behind them. But I only ride my bike so much here because they have so many bike baths. I love it. No golf carts allowed. Thanks again.
To be a safe walker, walk facing on coming traffic, bikers should ride with the traffic, problem solved.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:09 AM
Cool Why? because...

the multi-paths have walkers, gawkers, and carts all over them. Bikes have access to the roads too, please share the road!:
bigbow:
Old 09-19-2021, 07:35 AM
Default Great analysis, however.

It would be nice if they rode in tantrum ,not parallel across the road blocking cars. Very little conversation happening so why ride side by side.? Speaking of physics , when a 2 ton object strikes a 150 lb object, it always wins. Be careful out there. Winter is coming and it will get crowded!
Old 09-19-2021, 08:10 AM
Default There are bad everyone

Like a couple others replied, there's bad walkers, car drivers, bikers, walkers...
However, being a polite and safety conscious car driver, I have found a good number of bikers, who seem to purposely driven to aggravate car traffic.
I agree that they have as much right to the road as everyone, but there is common courtesy, when car traffic is traveling 2 - 4 times faster and the bikers insist on blocking the road (not riding close to the curb) or hugging the lane divider on a 4 lane or poor signaling.
In TV... there is definitely bad everyone on the road...enough to go around, but the bad bikers create the most dangerous risk to themselves and vehicle traffic.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:18 AM

Bikes, just like cars are allowed on the road so, please share the road with your Village bikers!
Old 09-19-2021, 09:46 AM

If nothing else, all this conversation should have caused everyone - regardless of travel mode - to be more aware of cyclists. Cyclists should obey the law - as motorists and cart drivers should. Cyclists have a legal right to the road ..within the law...as much as anyone else.

I want to reiterate something because I've been a competitive race cyclist for many years. I follow the law. Whether or not I'm entitled to the whole lane or not, I choose to ride within 3ft of the road stripe/curb...I stop and yield when I'm supposed to....that being said, I've had beer cans/bottles thrown at me, motorists get so close they've bumped my leg as they drove by - even when they had no oncoming traffic and plenty of lane to maneuver around me.

I have turned motorists in and they have been ticketed and prosecuted. I will NOT hesitate to do that here. Remember, many of us cycle in groups...for safety and for WITNESSES! Many of us use GoPros. If you willfully endanger us when we are abiding by the law - just because you don't like us being there - you can and will be prosecuted.

I know this doesn't apply to the majority of folks who read this...thank God! But, there are some - and I have witnessed them purposely try to scare or endanger cyclists because they don't like us.

The above is for you.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davonu View Post
Wow, I'll address just a couple of the misconceptions conveyed here. I am a long-time bike rider in TV. I ride almost daily and I use the multimodal paths (MMPs) exclusively.

On my average 10-15 mile ride, I encounter a few stop signs. Other than that, it very rare I have to stop. My ride is almost non-stop riding the whole way.

Even more important, the MMPs are NOT dangerous for bikers. In my opinion, the streets are far more dangerous. When I ride on an MMP, I am totally in control of my own safety. On the street, a biker's life is in the hands of every driver of a car or truck going 40+ mph as they drive by. I will not yield my control of my own safety. I have a couple basic rules I abide by on the MMPs to maintain that control...

I ride a hybrid bike, so if I see a cart or pedestrian that I think might be a conflict somehow, I exit onto the adjacent grass as needed. A piece of cake. Almost all areas have those grass exit areas. If I approach an area without an exit area, I search for approaching carts and adjust my speed as needed if necessary to avoid any conflict. Again, no problem at all.

I have ridden my bike on streets in my previous lives. Now riding my bike on the MPs in TV is one of my favorite parts of living here. Safety is a big reason for that. All the beauty and nature in the environment I ride in is just icing on the cake.
I live near Spanish Springs, and there is a male biker in my area that rides fast, and only in the street. He almost wiped me out while I was crossing the street from my house, with my dogs in a leash! You can’t hear or see bikers who ride fast, and there is no where to go once they are on your heels! I wish the fast bikers would bike in an unpopulated area. One of these days either he or I will get hurt.

karengearhartrealtor@gmail.com
Old 09-19-2021, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 1776 View Post
If nothing else, all this conversation should have caused everyone - regardless of travel mode - to be more aware of cyclists. Cyclists should obey the law - as motorists and cart drivers should. Cyclists have a legal right to the road ..within the law...as much as anyone else.

I want to reiterate something because I've been a competitive race cyclist for many years. I follow the law. Whether or not I'm entitled to the whole lane or not, I choose to ride within 3ft of the road stripe/curb...I stop and yield when I'm supposed to....that being said, I've had beer cans/bottles thrown at me, motorists get so close they've bumped my leg as they drove by - even when they had no oncoming traffic and plenty of lane to maneuver around me.

I have turned motorists in and they have been ticketed and prosecuted. I will NOT hesitate to do that here. Remember, many of us cycle in groups...for safety and for WITNESSES! Many of us use GoPros. If you willfully endanger us when we are abiding by the law - just because you don't like us being there - you can and will be prosecuted.

I know this doesn't apply to the majority of folks who read this...thank God! But, there are some - and I have witnessed them purposely try to scare or endanger cyclists because they don't like us.

The above is for you.
As you know I agree with a lot of what you say, and really only disagree on one thing. But I find it hard to believe that law enforcement would ticket someone much less prosecute them unless the LEO witnessed it. I don't think the word of someone "turning them in" or even a go pro video would do that. And if it did, even a mediocre lawyer would have that case dismissed in about 2 seconds, since you would have to prove intent.

However, it's ridiculous that someone would endanger a cyclist on purpose.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
Just curious but I’ve noticed there are always bikers riding on the main road. IE Morse, or Buena Vista, when the Multi paths are literally running parallel. Why do they do this?
Bicycles have the same rights, privileges and responsibilities on the road as a motor vehicle. That said, some riders do not live up to them. I have ridden roads on over 35 tours in more than 30 states and have experienced good riders and good drivers as well as bad examples of both. Respect is a two way street - pun intended.

It is my understanding that if there are three or more riders in a group TV wants you riding on the streets. So when you see a group of 8 or 10 riders they are most likely in one of the bike clubs and will ride properly.

Some states allow a bicyclist to treat a stop sign as a yield sign, but all states require riders to stop at stop lights. Most police departments follow this as a matter of policy, but riders should visibly slow down and not just roll the stop sign. I have seen riders pulled over for rolling a stop sign when traffic conditions warranted it. Have also seen a rider pulled over for speeding. (Now there is a ticket to be proud of. Over 40 in a 30 on a nice downhill into town.)
Old 09-19-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
As you know I agree with a lot of what you say, and really only disagree on one thing. But I find it hard to believe that law enforcement would ticket someone much less prosecute them unless the LEO witnessed it. I don't think the word of someone "turning them in" or even a go pro video would do that. And if it did, even a mediocre lawyer would have that case dismissed in about 2 seconds, since you would have to prove intent.

However, it's ridiculous that someone would endanger a cyclist on purpose.
Mr....I know of one person in prison today because of vehicular homicide involving a cyclist. I've helped others receive citations and I've personally seen another arrested by an officer at the scene after he almost ran over 3 of us.

Believe what you want ...or better yet...Google prosecutions involving endangering cyclists, etc.

You obviously haven't kept up with the legal rights of cyclists on the road mean just as much as someone in a vehicle.

By the way...these incidents happened in States not nearly as cyclist friendly as Florida.

Last edited by Topgun 1776; 09-19-2021 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 09-19-2021, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Mr....I know of one person in prison today because of vehicular homicide involving a cyclist. I've helped others receive citations and I've personally seen another arrested by an officer at the scene after he almost ran over 3 of us.

Believe what you want ...or better yet...Google prosecutions involving endangering cyclists, etc.

You obviously haven't kept up with the legal rights of cyclists on the road mean just as much as someone in a vehicle.
You may be right, I just don't know. All I know is that in general tickets are only issued when an infraction is witnessed by a LEO or captured on an official traffic cam. Any LEO's out there that could shed light on this?????? Are the situations you are referring to involving personal injury or just someone with their undies in a bunch over a near miss????

Here's a quote from "googling" it:

"A cyclist who regularly submits videos of close passes to police has described the force’s attitude towards such footage as “absolutely vile” after he was told in an email that it would only consider referring drivers filmed endangering cyclists for prosecution when injury or damage had happened – and then, only where there is “concrete evidence and that the matter is in the public interest.” The police force has since said that “often education is the most suitable option.”

Last edited by golfing eagles; 09-19-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 01:13 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Excellent post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
When bikes stop they lose momentum. On multimodal paths you stop, a lot.

On multimodal paths there are many types of vehicles and walkers which travel at different speeds creating obstacles. Walkers are generally unaware that bikes are behind them no matter how much you signal, speak, or yell. They fail to yeild

Golf carts are unaware of physics, that on four wheels you take corners very slowly and bikes do not. Many golf cart operators are rude and operate their carts in dangerous ways.

Roads do not have tunnels. No tunnels mean you can maintain cadence. Pedal cadence is important to cyclists.

Finally, and some what obvious by now: multimodal paths are dangerous for cyclists. It is legal for cyclists to operate on the road, not so for most golf carts, and not so for walkers when a sidewalk is available.

I hope this answers the question.
Excellent post and spot on. Riding a bike on any of the main roads in TV is not for the “faint of heart”.
Old 09-19-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
You may be right, I just don't know. All I know is that in general tickets are only issued when an infraction is witnessed by a LEO or captured on an official traffic cam. Any LEO's out there that could shed light on this?????? Are the situations you are referring to involving personal injury or just someone with their undies in a bunch over a near miss????

Here's a quote from "googling" it:

"A cyclist who regularly submits videos of close passes to police has described the force’s attitude towards such footage as “absolutely vile” after he was told in an email that it would only consider referring drivers filmed endangering cyclists for prosecution when injury or damage had happened – and then, only where there is “concrete evidence and that the matter is in the public interest.” The police force has since said that “often education is the most suitable option.”
What decade are you living in? What obscure link did you get that from...or did you invent it? I googled "Motorist charged with endangering cyclists" and got 100s of hits...like this one...of criminally negligent homicide...

"The teenage driver who ran a red light in Brooklyn earlier this month and smashed into another car, which then struck and killed 52-year-old cyclist Jose Alzorriz, has been charged with eleven crimes, including manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide. Both of those charges are felonies.".

Running the red light didn't cause the CNH charge, killing the cyclist did.

While a criminal court may be limited to a fine or jail time...a civil court case will bankrupt you. If me or my fellow cyclists are obeying the law...and someone threatens us in with/in a motor vehicle, I will use both remedies to the utmost of my ability.

My advice is simply learn to live with us on the road...and don't take your preferences and anger out on us...because we're here to stay.
Old 09-19-2021, 01:51 PM

Bikes have as much right to be on the road as you automobile, paths are for walkers and carts!
Old 09-19-2021, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
What decade are you living in? What obscure link did you get that from...or did you invent it? I googled "Motorist charged with endangering cyclists" and got 100s of hits...like this one...of criminally negligent homicide...

"The teenage driver who ran a red light in Brooklyn earlier this month and smashed into another car, which then struck and killed 52-year-old cyclist Jose Alzorriz, has been charged with eleven crimes, including manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide. Both of those charges are felonies.".

Running the red light didn't cause the CNH charge, killing the cyclist did.

While a criminal court may be limited to a fine or jail time...a civil court case will bankrupt you. If me or my fellow cyclists are obeying the law...and someone threatens us in with/in a motor vehicle, I will use both remedies to the utmost of my ability.

My advice is simply learn to live with us on the road...and don't take your preferences and anger out on us...because we're here to stay.
No, the running a red light most certainly led to the CNH charges...

If the cyclist had run the light and had been hit, there would have been no charges filed...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
road, bikes, multi, paths, literally

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.