Bill to abolish special districts??

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2022, 10:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,324 Times in 597 Posts
Default Bill to abolish special districts??

I heard on the radio that Florida may abolish special districts. Apparently Disney is a special district.

As a newcomer, I am still confused by the political districts in Florida. Would that impact us?
Old 04-20-2022, 10:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I heard on the radio that Florida may abolish special districts. Apparently Disney is a special district.

As a newcomer, I am still confused by the political districts in Florida. Would that impact us?
If you don’t go or agree with the flow seems as retribution it could be eliminated. According to state records, there are more than 550 CDDs spread throughout Florida, ranging in size from 100 acres to more than 10,000 acres.
Old 04-20-2022, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post

Search the net regarding Disney to get the full story why they are being targeted.
Old 04-20-2022, 12:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Maybe not good news for TV.
Old 04-20-2022, 12:59 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

They are being targeted because they stated their opinion. Not allowed in Florida.

Florida does not have state income tax, a big part of the reason is Disney. They bring in 50 million tourists per year. They pay over a billion in income tax per year. They bring in over $75 billion in tourist revenue per year. They employ over 40,000 central Florida residents.

But, they committed a sin, by stating that they support thousands of employees and millions of guests, and worst of all they did it publicly.

So much for fee speech.

I hope they don’t move out of the state, I kind of like not paying state income tax.
Old 04-20-2022, 01:04 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
It may be a constitutional issue of Free Speech addressing the Government which we can disagree with according to the first amendment. In private forums Facebook, Twitter and TOTV or at work, speech can be controlled.
Although the First Amendment says “Congress,” the Supreme Court has held that speakers are protected against all government agencies and officials: federal, state, and local, and legislative, executive, or judicial.
Interpretation: Freedom of Speech and the Press | The National Constitution Center.
Old 04-20-2022, 01:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
The head honcho in announcing the review, it was for special districts formed before 1967. That would include Disney. Convenient huh?

Hardly has anything to do with free speech……..
Old 04-20-2022, 01:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
It may be a constitutional issue of Free Speech addressing the Government which we can disagree with according to the first amendment. In private forums Facebook, Twitter and TOTV or at work, speech can be controlled.
Although the First Amendment says “Congress,” the Supreme Court has held that speakers are protected against all government agencies and officials: federal, state, and local, and legislative, executive, or judicial.
Interpretation: Freedom of Speech and the Press | The National Constitution Center.
This is true, and the action is certainly retribution by the government. But, I expect they don’t have a chance to stop the retribution.

I tried to avoid any political reference, oh well.
Old 04-20-2022, 01:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
This is true, and the action is certainly retribution by the government. But, I expect they don’t have a chance to stop the retribution.

I tried to avoid any political reference, oh well.
They could close the park.
Old 04-20-2022, 01:22 PM
Platinum member

They could, I expect they don’t. It would be very expensive.

As I said. I don’t expect anything will come of it. It seems nothing ever comes of anything any more
Old 04-20-2022, 01:23 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,249 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
MUCH more likely that they would just make a gagillion dollars per year instead of a gagagillion.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 04-20-2022, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Not for another year...I just renewed my Annual Pass!
Old 04-20-2022, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
They are being targeted because they stated their opinion. Not allowed in Florida.

Florida does not have state income tax, a big part of the reason is Disney. They bring in 50 million tourists per year. They pay over a billion in income tax per year. They bring in over $75 billion in tourist revenue per year. They employ over 40,000 central Florida residents.

But, they committed a sin, by stating that they support thousands of employees and millions of guests, and worst of all they did it publicly.

So much for fee speech.

I hope they don’t move out of the state, I kind of like not paying state income tax.

You get taxes other ways which comes out same or more. There no free lunch.
Old 04-20-2022, 01:36 PM
Sage

Quote:

So much for fee speech.

I don’t think Disney was following Florida law? There not going to move there most productive park
Old 04-20-2022, 01:37 PM
Sage

Quote:

More room for villages.
Closed Thread

Tags
special, districts, abolish, florida, bill

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.