Bill to abolish special districts??

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2022, 05:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
Let's be honest, I though t you were in favor of the constitution? Remember that pesky part about the government may Not do anything too prevent free speech. There is NO doubt whatsoever why this is being done now. And that is in direct violation of the government attempting to prevent free speech. And yes, you SHOULD get stung if you goo directly against the constitution.
So, you agree that corporations are entitled to free speech?
Old 04-20-2022, 05:38 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I don’t think Disney was following Florida law? There not going to move there most productive park
With all due respect, Reedy Creek Improvement District was created as an incentive for Disney to build in Central Florida. Disney was certainly following current Florida law. CDD’S were also created as an economic development incentive for developers to build communities like The Villages. Apparently what Florida Government gives it believes it can also take away without repercussions. Sounds to me a very slippery slope to be going down. Walt Disney has created thousands of jobs and brought billions and billions of tax money to the State of Florida. As Yogi says “it ain’t over until it’s over.” Stand by for future developments on this issue.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:46 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Disney was happy to move California jobs to Lake Nona. Chapek has blundered too many times to keep his job. Don’t know why corporations have to comment on issues that don’t concern them
Old 04-20-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I heard on the radio that Florida may abolish special districts. Apparently Disney is a special district.

As a newcomer, I am still confused by the political districts in Florida. Would that impact us?
Back to the actual question, rather than an argument about Disney - as reported by the actual legislature, the voted bill is for CDD’s formed before 1968. TV did not form CDD’s that far back - TV CDD’s were formed & sold in the 1990’s. So, no - the proposed legislation doesn’t seem to affect TV (it’s said there are 116 CDD’s in FL, so some of them might be impacted). Hope that answers your original question!
Old 04-20-2022, 07:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Forgot to mention that Orlando was the 7th highest airport in World last year based on passenger traffic. Atlanta was #1. I bet that Orlando probably had more people who left airport and stayed some time and spent money(taxable) in Florida.

Law that allowed Disney this exemption has been around for 55 years and this has never been an issue.
I was also thinking of the airport and the number of flights that come in day and night. It is also a huge commercial flight hub.

I predict it is going to be a long-running lawsuit costing everyone, including the taxpayers, a lot of money.

Stupid stupid, stupid.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-20-2022, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,913 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
Let's be honest, I though t you were in favor of the constitution? Remember that pesky part about the government may Not do anything too prevent free speech. There is NO doubt whatsoever why this is being done now. And that is in direct violation of the government attempting to prevent free speech. And yes, you SHOULD get stung if you goo directly against the constitution.
Let's be more honest. This is NOT a free speech issue. Disney is a publicly traded corporation. As such, it's obligation, in fact it's only legal obligation, is to try to make money for it's shareholders. Does anyone think that Disney is going to enhance it's bottom line by taking a stand in favor of questionable curriculum for 5 year olds???? After all, doesn't Disney stand for family fun and entertainment?
But beyond that, they made the statement that they will spend money to fight similar legislation in other states! That's right, spend SHAREHOLDER money to wage a political battle that flies in the face of what Walt Disney created. I can pretty much guarantee that if they actually spend that money there will be class action lawsuit filed within a day.

BTW, I'm not particularly in favor of overturning these old agreements as retribution, Florida could be cutting off its nose to spite its face

But I like your acquiescence that "corporations are people too"
Old 04-20-2022, 08:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
So, you agree that corporations are entitled to free speech?
I think everyone, including corporations have a right to free speech which the government can not interfere with except in very carefully defined circumstances - same with people. The circumstances include things like speech that can directly lead to death, national security, etc. All RIGHTS can be regulated.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Let's be more honest. This is NOT a free speech issue. Disney is a publicly traded corporation. As such, it's obligation, in fact it's only legal obligation, is to try to make money for it's shareholders. Does anyone think that Disney is going to enhance it's bottom line by taking a stand in favor of questionable curriculum for 5 year olds???? After all, doesn't Disney stand for family fun and entertainment?
But beyond that, they made the statement that they will spend money to fight similar legislation in other states! That's right, spend SHAREHOLDER money to wage a political battle that flies in the face of what Walt Disney created. I can pretty much guarantee that if they actually spend that money there will be class action lawsuit filed within a day.

BTW, I'm not particularly in favor of overturning these old agreements as retribution, Florida could be cutting off its nose to spite its face

But I like your acquiescence that "corporations are people too"
I don't recall ever saying I didn't think corporations are people too. But, thank you for attributing that to me.

And as in all rights, they can be restricted or limited under some circumstances.

As to the "only obligation is to make money". Yup, and what happens when a company does something that the share holders feel cost them money, they shareholder hold the company liable and sues the.

Please tell me you are not so naive as to see NO connection to the attempt to revoke the agreement with Disney, and Disneys comments. Seriously. Yeah, kind of funny how every time I let go of a hammer it drops, purely coincidence.

Sorry, I am NOT buying it, in fact, The Governor said as much in his public statements.

This is exactly a free speech issue, Because it is a government agency using their position of power to restrict an individual or companies freedom to say what they believe. Now, I understand that KNOWING something and proving it (especially when it is WHY something was done) is very hard, and I have already said, I don't think there is anything Disney can actually do.

But, then I think the entire world is entering a new dark ages, and is being led there by Authoritarians around the world - and right here in Rivercity.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:48 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Disney was happy to move California jobs to Lake Nona. Chapek has blundered too many times to keep his job. Don’t know why corporations have to comment on issues that don’t concern them
Why does anyone have to comment on anything that doesn't concern them? Why do people comment on a woman having an abortion, that is between her and her doctor, but it certainly gets a lot of talking.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Forgot to mention that Orlando was the 7th highest airport in World last year based on passenger traffic. Atlanta was #1. I bet that Orlando probably had more people who left airport and stayed some time and spent money(taxable) in Florida.

Law that allowed Disney this exemption has been around for 55 years and this has never been an issue.
It never was an issue until Disney spoke out defending LGBTQ rights. Then within days, it's an end of the world issue. I don't know if it is true, but I expect at least a few of the 50 million people that visit Disney every year, might have gone into that airport at some point.

This type of nonsense is having consequences all over the country, with companies moving or transferring people Even the military has announced they will relocate any members that feel threatened by recent laws in-acted in Florida to bases in other states.

Tell me are we great yet?
Old 04-20-2022, 09:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,324 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaJones View Post
Back to the actual question, rather than an argument about Disney - as reported by the actual legislature, the voted bill is for CDD’s formed before 1968. TV did not form CDD’s that far back - TV CDD’s were formed & sold in the 1990’s. So, no - the proposed legislation doesn’t seem to affect TV (it’s said there are 116 CDD’s in FL, so some of them might be impacted). Hope that answers your original question!
Thanks for responding to the actual question. It appears that this bill won’t affect us.

However, does anyone know what would happen if all of the special districts-including The Villages-were abolished?
Old 04-21-2022, 05:29 AM

Thousands of employees and millions of guests don’t make decisions relating to what is taught to Florida school. The resident employees can vote like all residents.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:41 AM
Platinum member
Default Mickey's in the mouse trap

Lets be honest. This is not really about " free speech". Disney has thrown down the gauntlet by stating they will fund campaigns against the children protection laws embraced by the florida government and elsewhere.
I took my children and gc to disney parks to be entertained only. They should not be telling us how to raise our children.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:54 AM

Last edited by BlackhawksFan; 04-21-2022 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Realized same question had been asked
Old 04-21-2022, 05:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I don’t think Disney was following Florida law? There not going to move there most productive park
They were following the law their special district was created to encourage them to move here. New businesses will look at this when they consider moving here and then they won’t. Florida gives and takes away if you speak out.
Closed Thread

Tags
special, districts, abolish, florida, bill

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.