Bill Pay ?

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2021, 05:53 AM
Veteran member
Default Last chance

First off I applaud you for actually thinking about this.
The most important thing among others is to print off a spreadsheet every month and keep it by the computer showing all the bills that were paid or need to be paid every month. I happen to have three children in their mid thirties and forties, that I have updated occasionally with the spreadsheet showing bills. Please note there are some bills you only pay once a year or every 6 months like the homeowners, the auto insurance, golf cart insurance and of course your taxes for your house.
If you use Chrome on your computer, then chrome does keep usernames, !!! ( Only if autofillnis turned on), there should be a copy of your username and your password on your computer, yes believe it or not it's there in settings and then auto fill. Of course you must save your username and your Chrome password somewhere easy to find on your computer monitor as an example . So hopefully a relative or good friend or trustee can easily find it.
Some of the other things you should be doing is making a folder called after I die and keeping it somewhere in your house like your master bedroom closet they should include, things like your social security number, your birth certificate, all of the car registrations, and a complete list of assets and liabilities and where they can be found. I have known friends that don't tell their wives or husbands everything just because they don't want them thinking about it. Whether this is right or wrong doesn't matter but you do owe your spouse the ability to go on with life after you. I'm sure I feel left out a few things but you should also have of course your last will and testament a copy in your home as well as at a lawyers or Bank and the living will or a living trust. And actually at least once a month you should discuss your personal finances for the month and what the bills were just so they understand what's coming in and what's going out and don't be derogatory about that really expensive dress she bought.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:01 AM
Default Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
My wife isn't interested learning about computers.
I'm worried about what will happen to our finances if I die before her.
I have all my username and passwords filed in the safe.

I try to have statements, (charge cards, Utility's bills, checking acct.) mailed to the house, but a couple are on auto pay that I pay on line.

What's your system?
When my husband passed away we had a wonderful financial advisor Andy Patrick that has a office inside of Citizens First Bank, doesn’t work for Citizens but one of the perks from the bank to help me out. He has been a life saver. He takes care of my financial situation, very happy with him.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:17 AM

Quote:

I try to have statements, (charge cards, Utility's bills, checking acct.) mailed to the house, but a couple are on auto pay that I pay on line.

What's your system?
Good question. Several of the replies were helpful. Having been the executor of wills myself, I have spent several days making up a document I call "Will Assist", that lists all issues like what money comes in where, the names and phone numbers of of my brokers, insurance companies, etc. I also show where the key documents are located. I have not looked for a commercially available program like what I have done, but I imagine there is one. It really was not difficult to do; just took time. I Took a full month because I made notes of what happened daily in that month, and turned that info into a helpful suggestion/description. I then made only one copy of that document, and put it into our safe deposit box. The executor (our son) has access to that box. I made a second copy of the document, then sat down with him to answer any questions he had, then destroyed the copy that not in the safe deposit box. If you do this, go into mine detail such as under life insurance, give the policy number, and tell them exactly where the policy is kept, like wooden file cabinet, third drawer. Once done, it is easy to tune it up once a year or so.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:22 AM

I’m in the same boat, my wife is a texting queen but computers….
As a few said here already is setup a trust with a professional. They will guide you and your wife. Setup a executor, in my oldest daughter, who knows what to do. I even scanned all the trust info I was given and put it on a thumb drive for each of my kids to have.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:02 AM
Default Death notes

In addition to a trust I have in NOTES on my device all passwords and how everything is controlled - need a password to get into my device and another different password to get into notes - that info is emailed to my trustee whenever anything changes plus trustee has passwords to access NOTES.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:21 AM
Default Understand autopay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
That is a problem we all face. Two or more people should but perhaps should not both do this. If, they try it will become did you pay the bill for? I do not like auto pay.
Many people do. Auto pay you give someone, actually not someone but an entire company access to your financial information. Big brother IS watching you and we, many of us, make it far too easy.

Statements to your home. I can and do argue that both ways. On line billing is cheaper for the company. They do not need to pay postage and they can use your printer and pay you nothing for it. On the other hand, a financial statement. Lost or STOLEN in the mail who now knows what I have where it is and my name and address. Sometimes my account number and social security number. ID theft? We provide tons of information to places such as your doctor, the test he requests etc. Do we think everyone with access to your information has security clearance?

Computers-I would be lost without mine. The price of this great societal change is your privacy.
Autopay is not intrusive as you might believe. The account and routing numbers used with autopay and on your personal checks are the same. They all run through the clearing house together. Anyone that you write a check to has the same access to your account information, as well as your signature.
Janis Creason
Dauphin County Treasurer
Old 10-06-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:

What's your system?
Check out this option- saw it posted by a couple in TV who started this - could be very useful for both of you
Purchase a Box | Nokbox
Old 10-06-2021, 08:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,228 Times in 774 Posts

Bill pay online, I don't trust the mail, wife used to do the bills, but I do them now, gives her more time to go shopping....and make more bills....LOL
Old 10-06-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:

What's your system?
Don't us auto pay from the AP company (credit card, utility, phone, etc.), use online bill pay from your bank. This way it is all in one place, with one login, and you can see the complete history of who was paid and when. They will even send paper checks out to those who do not accept auto pay (lawn care, pet sitter, etc.). With one login, you will see a near compete picture of who was paid, when, and from what account (assuming all of your checking accounts are with the same bank). This way with just two logins, one to your bank and one to your investment management firm, you can see nearly all incoming and outgoing funds.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
That is a problem we all face. Two or more people should but perhaps should not both do this. If, they try it will become did you pay the bill for? I do not like auto pay.
Many people do. Auto pay you give someone, actually not someone but an entire company access to your financial information. Big brother IS watching you and we, many of us, make it far too easy.

Statements to your home. I can and do argue that both ways. On line billing is cheaper for the company. They do not need to pay postage and they can use your printer and pay you nothing for it. On the other hand, a financial statement. Lost or STOLEN in the mail who now knows what I have where it is and my name and address. Sometimes my account number and social security number. ID theft? We provide tons of information to places such as your doctor, the test he requests etc. Do we think everyone with access to your information has security clearance?

Computers-I would be lost without mine. The price of this great societal change is your privacy.
A separate account can be set up for auto pay. They don’t have access to your financial information. Just that account.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:56 AM
Default Credit card note

Here’s something important to check. My husband passed away this year and I found this out the hard way. The main credit card we had used for years and years for everything including all subscriptions that auto charged was NOT a joint account. Apparently when he opened it, not thinking, he put it in his name with me as an approved user. When I called the bank a couple of months after he passed to let them know of his death and change the account to my name only, they immediately cancelled the account. Immediately. That moment. I lost all the reward points that I intended to use for travel back for his memorial. I am still fighting this fight and will likely need a lawyer. So please, please check your credit cards and make sure they are JOINT accounts. Pls do it today.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

What's your system?
My wife is like yours, but luckily we have a grandson in law that’s a wiz when it comes to computers. I worry about that too! But it’ll work out but the great thing is we won’t be around to have to worry about it or know anything about it, things will work out, one way or another!
Old 10-06-2021, 09:08 AM

You have had some great advice. My question is whether you have a plan if you become incapacitated? Your wife could face these same challenges while you are still alive.

My mom took care of all of the finances. When she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, but before she lost her ability to completely reason, I made sure that my parents visited an attorney/estate planner. Both of my parents executed a Power of Attorney, naming me as POA. I didn't need to use it for ten years, but having it was SO helpful and saved multiple headaches. Truthfully, it was invaluable - and I'm an attorney.

My suggestion would be that you and your wife do the same. If you have a child you trust, giving him/her the ability will significantly help them in the future.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:

What's your system?
I have EVERYTHING on autopay - just in case I go first. The late-payment demons won't be pestering my spouse all at once. He'll have spaced out time to learn how to do it all himself this way.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You might want to leave instructions on home maintenance.
Closed Thread

Tags
pay, acct, statements, charge, cards

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.