Bird attack

Old 07-21-2020, 09:08 AM
Default Bird attack

Does anyone know what kind of bird is out around 4:00 in the morning, and sleeps in the street. It seems like it's guarding it's nest, because if I get near it, it dive bombs me. It has a distinct screech. I see and hear it also around 8:00pm at night, very high in the sky......Thank you

Old 07-21-2020, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlene Widmer View Post
Does anyone know what kind of bird is out around 4:00 in the morning, and sleeps in the street.
Maybe it's a homeless bird?
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

It's probably a night hawk. I think that's the right name. They have a nest on or near the ground, and at dusk they will start flying high overhead looking for predators. They will swoop down and almost hit you in the head, and they make the strangest sound. I used to walk my dog after dark and would encounter them frequently, especially in the spring.

From Wikipedia: "The common nighthawk is a medium-sized crepuscular or nocturnal bird of the Americas within the nightjar family, whose presence and identity are best revealed by its vocalization. Typically dark, displaying cryptic colouration and intricate patterns, this bird is difficult to spot with the naked eye during the day. "

Old 07-21-2020, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,937 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
It's probably a night hawk. I think that's the right name. They have a nest on or near the ground, and at dusk they will start flying high overhead looking for predators. They will swoop down and almost hit you in the head, and they make the strangest sound. I used to walk my dog after dark and would encounter them frequently, especially in the spring.

From Wikipedia: "The common nighthawk is a medium-sized crepuscular or nocturnal bird of the Americas within the nightjar family, whose presence and identity are best revealed by its vocalization. Typically dark, displaying cryptic colouration and intricate patterns, this bird is difficult to spot with the naked eye during the day. "
Usually don’t nest in streets, on roof tops or tops of building that have tar and pebbles. Probably had juvenile close the just left the nest?

Tags
bird, 800pm, sky, dive, bombs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.