Bird Feeders in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 12-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Question Bird Feeders in The Villages

Some of my neighbors have bird feeders in their yards. Doves and cranes are the major visitors to the feeders. I wonder, however, if these are allowed here. It seems that the cranes could rely to much on the seeds and not eat their natural diet. Anyone know if these re OK or not?
Old 12-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Platinum member

Nothing in my covenants prohibiting them.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,542 Times in 1,926 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I love the birds here. I would have loved to feed them so I could see them close at hand. It is allowed. Most places it has to be under your eaves.

HOWEVER, I have learned not only from reading this forum but from people who are veteran Florida residents that feeding birds attracts other not lovely critters like snakes and palm rats. Also a goodly share of the same people do not have palm trees planted because of the Palmetto bugs and other crawleys.

The folks who also have lived here for a good while say that the birds have enough natural food to sustain them.

But you certainly may.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Platinum member

Just do not put it on a fence.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 12-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Veteran member

I agree with Gracie.
A neighbor of mine has a feeder out back and when there's food in it the most frequent visitor is squirrels; 2nd- snakes; 3rd birds!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 12-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Sage
Default House torn up on WESH News last week.

WESH2 showed a home in the Orlando area that was virtually destroyed by rodents and other critters getting in the attic and even biting wires and small water pipes, damaging the interior ceilings badly and this was directly linked to the next door neighbor habitually leaving out food for wildlife and birds.

The news also had someone from an agency that showed that the next door neighbors had been feeding wildlife for years and in so doing were causing a major nuisance in the neighborhood and those creatures (rats, raccoons, squirrels)invaded the next door persons home. The damage was shown on the news, it was awful.

They showed paper plates left on the ground and debris from peanut shells and even knocked on the door of the neighbor that said they had stopped, but the agency said she hadn't stopped, they just couldn't catch her in the act.

Now that was an extreme situation, but it sure made me think. I know bird feeders do attract snakes.

I just watch the birdies on the golf courses and flying over and don't think about feeding them.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
WESH2 showed a home in the Orlando area that was virtually destroyed by rodents and other critters getting in the attic and even biting wires and small water pipes, damaging the interior ceilings badly and this was directly linked to the next door neighbor habitually leaving out food for wildlife and birds..
I used my birdfeeders last year, but all I attracted were blackbirds and doves.

Not worth it, I think. I did grow some beautiful sunflowers.

connie

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 12-25-2013, 10:55 PM

I have 3 feeders up I have had NO problems and have so many birds some time I fill them twice a day we love the birds.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,193 Times in 838 Posts

Did a little online reading. Birdfeeders do not directly attract snakes. The fallen seeds and husks however are yummy to rodents. And the presence of rodents attract snakes. Thus if you want to not have rodents then snakes, don't let seed residue collect at your feeder.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:48 AM
Sage

On the note of birds, last Tuesday evening, a week ago, heading north on Morse, many carts had pulled over into the grass on the EAST side of the street and were viewing what looked to be thousands of white birds in the trees at some area of preserve of some kind. It was just north of 466.

Anyone else see this? It was about five in the evening.

Wowser moment for us, even from the car.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-26-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:09 AM
Sage

Gracie...they are there every evening. That is where they return to roost/nest after a day of exploring the Villages. It is quite a sight.

Bird feeders.... Neighbor had one, never seemed to attract any pretty birds, and I did see a small critter scurrying around It on the ground one day.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
On the note of birds, last Tuesday evening, a week ago, heading north on Morse, many carts had pulled over into the grass on the west side of the street and were viewing what looked to be thousands of white birds in the trees at some area of preserve of some kind. It was just north of 466.

Every day for years.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Gold member

They do sell a tray, that you hang from the bottom of the bird feeder, that catches all the seeds that go flying, as the birds feed. Also catches the seeds that are broken open by the cardinals etc. Easy to install to bottom of feeder. The tray is almost twice the size of feeder in circumference. Only a suggestion!
Old 12-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I brought our bird feeders down with us but I used to use one to hang plants that attracted humming birds. Nothing in our restrictions. I just haven't hung them up yet because I'm not sure I'll actually use them untill we use the patio more.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:05 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
On the note of birds, last Tuesday evening, a week ago, heading north on Morse, many carts had pulled over into the grass on the EAST side of the street and were viewing what looked to be thousands of white birds in the trees at some area of preserve of some kind. It was just north of 466.

I saw them also and did a double take. I thought they were white egrets, but we went by so quickly I didn't get that good a look at them.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.