Bird Songs

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2019, 07:10 AM
Default Bird Songs

This is going to sound like a totally inane question —- do you hear lots of birds in The Villages? We are moving there soon, but right now I’m on my porch loving listening to the sounds of all the various birds around me (Illinois rural).
And so hoping I get to to those sounds there - all year and not just few summer months.
Where best locations to hear and see most bird activity?
Thanks All.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:26 AM
Veteran member
Default Bird songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by milling73 View Post
This is going to sound like a totally inane question —- do you hear lots of birds in The Villages? We are moving there soon, but right now I’m on my porch loving listening to the sounds of all the various birds around me (Illinois rural).
And so hoping I get to to those sounds there - all year and not just few summer months.
Thanks All.
We often comment on how much the birds are "talking" when we are on our lanai or walking. You won't be disappointed. And there is an added benefit of the many waterfowl you will see! Many we had never encountered in either New England or Virginia.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I recently changed and upgraded my hearing aids, and I never realised there were so many of them chuntering away!
Old 04-27-2019, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Thanks All.
This club can answer your question.

Villages Birders 3SAx5,6,7,8,9,12@9AM Paradise Alice Horst
8352 Se 168th Sedgewick Place The Villages FL 32162 (973) 508-2307
Old 04-27-2019, 08:55 AM
Veteran member
Default Birdsongs

Not only do we hear a lot of birds, we have to clean up after them. Droppings on the driveway, the cage, all over the place. The Jays and Ravens will poke through plastic garbage bags on trash day and drag out waste. This Spring we have to watch out for the Mockingbirds. If they're nesting near your house, the male may dive-bomb you.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:

Thanks All.
Thought the same when moving from Illinois. Not to worry, there are plenty of bird songs to be heard. Think you'll enjoy the Sandhill cranes the most.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2019, 09:10 AM

A cardinal wakes us up every morning, the house finches carry on conversations all day, the mockingbird and thrush sing a medley, and even the bluebirds can be heard periodically. The more mature your landscaping, the more you will hear. And the mourning doves, the chickadees, the titmice, the jays, the owls, the osprey, etc. etc.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

If you have a bird feeder you will get birds, lots of them and every different kind. We put our bird feeders well away from the house and into the open lawn area so as not to attract vermin and since then our yard has become a bird paradise. We have a nesting box for blue birds and we get at least three nestings a year Bluebirding Basics - nests and eggs, timetable, nestboxes, predators, house sparrows, food and water. Our bluebird box is near our sunroom so we see them all year. They are very aggressive and fight off anything that comes near their box. This year has been a great year for American Gold Finches, some are already bright yellow and will be on their way north soon. We have had a Painted Bunting, just once and for only two days, but I will never forget it. This year we have a Rose Breasted Grosbeak that is not supposed to be in Florida, but it has been feeding for the past week, maybe on its way back North. The smaller finches seem to leave for the summer, but then we have the Blue Jays and all the larger birds. So, yes, we do have birds in Florida. We also have a great Wild Bird Center in a shopping center off 441 where you can get everything a bird needs or wants!!!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-27-2019, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Depends in area. In my area the only birds I here every morning are mocking birds, male cardinal, and few Hollywood finches. IMO you will not have the amount of song birds here you hear in Illinois. I came from Oklahoma and there nowhere near the amount of song birds inside the villages, maybe out of town but I doubt it unless you get close to coast or wetlands. Something I really miss.

Mocking birds have about 17 to 20 songs, so they might make up the difference
Old 04-27-2019, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I recently changed and upgraded my hearing aids, and I never realised there were so many of them chuntering away!
Probably one mocking bird
Old 04-27-2019, 12:32 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

If you live on a pond you will see and hear birds you didn't know existed. Fishing birds both large and small, cranes, ducks, even Anhingas in addition to all of the song birds, very enjoyable to sit on the lanai and watch them. One thing we don't have in our area are Canadian Geese and I'm very grateful not having them.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:11 PM
Veteran member

Saw three Canadian geese today at the big pond at Palmetto golf course. I told them snowbird season has ended. They said something nasty in reply. I think it was in French.
Closed Thread

Tags
birds, sounds, bird, hear, rural

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.