Black snake in shrubs-Dangerous?

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2013, 03:15 PM
Default Black snake in shrubs-Dangerous?

I disturbed a 4 ft. long, all black snake while trimming my shrubs, it slithered away & hid in another shrub. Does anyone know what kind it might be, or if it is dangerous?
Old 02-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Veteran member

Probaby a black racer, not poisonous.

Nonvenomous snakes
Old 02-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf View View Post
I disturbed a 4 ft. long, all black snake while trimming my shrubs, it slithered away & hid in another shrub. Does anyone know what kind it might be, or if it is dangerous?
Probably a black racer. I have run into them before in the Villages and elsewhere in Central FL. If you give it room to move and do not corner it, it usually will not bite but try to get away. They eat rodents so there good to have around. http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/colcon.htm
Old 02-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Wildlife in The Villages.........including snakes.
http://www.districtgov.org/community...on-BDA2010.pdf
Old 02-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

99.9% it is a black snake...your friend...eat many other pests you do not want around.

Do not kill it or any other snakes.

btk
Old 02-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Dancing Thyme

I had a couple of them in my lanai and it seemed they were more afraid of me than I was of them (if that was at all possible)..... they were tormented by the schnauzers and didn't seem to be aggressive with the dogs at all. I left them alone and they went out the same way they came in.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 02-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Sage

probable certaintity leads to it being a black racer. Totally harmless and they do eat mice and rats.

Once when I was giving a snake demonstration to a group of second grade students at the National Zoo in Washington, DC, I was handfeeding a dead mouse (microwaved to approximate living temperature) to a black racer. The snake was eating the mouse and I was engrossed in my own comments to the kids. Before I knew what was happening, the 5 foot snake had consumed the mouse as well as my thumb that was holding the mouse. Snake teeth are curved backward so I had quite a time releasing my thumb without hurting the snake. The school kids thought it was a great ending to the show.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Once when I was giving a snake demonstration to a group of second grade students at the National Zoo in Washington, DC, I was handfeeding a dead mouse (microwaved to approximate living temperature) to a black racer. The snake was eating the mouse and I was engrossed in my own comments to the kids. Before I knew what was happening, the 5 foot snake had consumed the mouse as well as my thumb that was holding the mouse. Snake teeth are curved backward so I had quite a time releasing my thumb without hurting the snake. The school kids thought it was a great ending to the show.
Yikes! I suspect it makes hitchhiking more difficult.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.