Blackberry Festival...No blackberries

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Sage

Everything is always wonderful in the Daily Sun. That's why they don't report too much on accidents and disasters - hard to make them wonderful.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybill2 View Post
We just got back as well. Took forever to park---thought there would be booths selling blackberries. Nary a one in sight. Don't know if they expected such a crowd. We didn't go inside either as the line was way too long. Husband is a member and we thought we would go inside member's lounge for a drink but was so crowded we just left.
your husband is a member and he did not know the line was for food and not entrance into the building?? Apparently not a very active member?
I think the vendors were nice, had tons of interesting stuff. And isnt it nice to support locally operated businesses?
I think people just like to complain too much
Old 06-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Sage

Respectfully, when you hold a specific festival, say blackberry, blueberry, cherry.....people expect to be able to buy, taste or look at the featured product. Those of us who couldn't stand in the heat outside the legion, were out of luck. My husband and I saw all of the people standing in line but had no idea only members could enter. What if we had stood in line for 1/2 hour or so only to be turned away because we weren't members? There should have been a sign saying that it was for members only and that the berries were inside the legion. How were the rest of us supposed to get berries if we couldn't get inside? What am I missing here? There were lots of vendors but nothing that made it worth cruising around in the sun and heat and fight the parking. I think people were disappointed because there weren't many to be had and they ran out. Too much hype for what it was. Good effort, but in my opinion, it fell short. Sorry.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Respectfully, when you hold a specific festival, say blackberry, blueberry, cherry.....people expect to be able to buy, taste or look at the featured product. Those of us who couldn't stand in the heat outside the legion, were out of luck. My husband and I saw all of the people standing in line but had no idea only members could enter. What if we had stood in line for 1/2 hour or so only to be turned away because we weren't members? There should have been a sign saying that it was for members only and that the berries were inside the legion. How were the rest of us supposed to get berries if we couldn't get inside? What am I missing here? There were lots of vendors but nothing that made it worth cruising around in the sun and heat and fight the parking. I think people were disappointed because there weren't many to be had and they ran out. Too much hype for what it was. Good effort, but in my opinion, it fell short. Sorry.
Even though I wasn't there, I believe that all the berry products were inside the building in the large room to the left where the general public is welcome. There is a seperate room not being used for the festival that is for members only which was not part of the festivities.

i
Old 06-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

What a bunch of complainers.............
Old 06-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What a bunch of complainers.............
I think we have a right to complain. Parking was difficult but we managed. We were willing to stand in line so we did. We stood 30 minutes in the sun. One women was getting very red faced and had to sit down. We finally got inside. I'm anticipating getting blackberries. We stood in line for another 30 minutes. It was at least air conditioned. We had arrived at 11:15 am. It was now 12:30 and they yelled No more blackberries. They should have had enough berries. It was a berry festival and they played it up all week in the Daily Sun. I won't be there again.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Gold member

I'm trying to figure out how one can run out of blackberries for very long when there is a blackberry farm just up the road and it is loaded with them. All someone putting on the festival had to do was run there and fill up again. Just a little thought required.
In reality, they're different!
Old 06-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcneill View Post
hmmm...I'm thinking that some folks might be a little jelly-ous that I got cobblers and cheesecakes and ber(ries) Oh, my!
George, that's a serious break in your penance. Party back on at Georges!
Noon Monday. All the blackberry cobbler and cheesecake you can eat!

Your punishment is to bring a large supply of berries and ice cream to the June Crispers meeting.
In reality, they're different!
Old 06-04-2012, 12:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coz120 View Post
your husband is a member and he did not know the line was for food and not entrance into the building?? Apparently not a very active member?
I think the vendors were nice, had tons of interesting stuff. And isnt it nice to support locally operated businesses?
I think people just like to complain too much
We knew which door was what-----The line outside at the door for the food/ and blackberry products was almost the entire length of the building and you had to wait in this outside line to get into that area. The member's lounge did not have a line outside but the lounge was completely full with standing room only. I just assumed--as others did-- that there would be more blackberries to purchase and not just one booth inside. We always attend the American Legion Festivals.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Oh for Pete's sake. I am sure they didn't expect such a crowd. It is the American Legion, a nice group of folks. The person in charge of planning is probably in the dog house.

Now here is what I would do if it was hot and there were long lines.

I would go home and get some ice cream out of my freezer and eat it on my porch with Sweetie and Helene and never think another thing about it.

Just a bump in the road.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:42 AM
Default Seriously?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
I think we have a right to complain. Parking was difficult but we managed. We were willing to stand in line so we did. We stood 30 minutes in the sun. One women was getting very red faced and had to sit down. We finally got inside. I'm anticipating getting blackberries. We stood in line for another 30 minutes. It was at least air conditioned. We had arrived at 11:15 am. It was now 12:30 and they yelled No more blackberries. They should have had enough berries. It was a berry festival and they played it up all week in the Daily Sun. I won't be there again.
You people do know this is Florida right?.....OF COURSE its hot!!!
I assume everyone who attended has either a television or radio with access to some sort of weather report. If heat is that much of an issue, STAY INSIDE. Aside from that, there was a nice breeze (with some big gusts toward the end BTW) and it wasnt that hot anyway. I just moved here from Central NY and I was ok with the days heat. There was air conditioning in the building and if you wanted AC that bad, you always could have jumped on the big red bus and donated a pint......Just sayin'
Old 06-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
I think we have a right to complain.
Yes, you have the right to complain, everybody has a right to complain if they're prone to doing so. However, this is an event put on by veterans and those veterans are volunteers and not professionals.

I've planned and ran several (at least 7) events years ago for a pro veterans organization I belong to up north, where it was easier to anticipate the number attending than it would be for an event like the A.L. was having. Despite it being easier, it was still difficult at best to estimate all the volumes and needs to successfully provide what was needed to pull the event off.

As for myself personally, I would rather not criticize or dis those veterans for their current faults or alleged faults in favor of being expressively thankful for their past service to all of us.

So, if anyone wants to continue complaining about the shortcomings of those veterans like it's an everyday commercial restaurant or business, feel free to do so. After all... that is your "right"... thanks to them!

Kudos to those who have served, both past and present!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 06-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Maybe you were to bring your own
Old 06-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Veteran member

As for myself personally, I would rather not criticize or dis those veterans for their current faults or alleged faults in favor of being expressively thankful for their past service to all of us.

So, if anyone wants to continue complaining about the shortcomings of those veterans like it's an everyday commercial restaurant or business, feel free to do so. After all... that is your "right"... thanks to them!

SKYGUY:
For you to equate the good people here voicing their opinion of a berry festival as attacking the good deeds the veterans have done for our country is way out of line. Not one person said a negative thing about our veterans. The OP nor anyone else had that in mine and it was unkind for you to put that in print.

Last edited by RedChariot; 06-04-2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: ADDITIONAL THOUGHT
Old 06-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Skyguy is a good fellow.

I think Skyguy was just trying to make a point. I understood his view. I think he was just saying it was a not for profit, charitable event held by amateurs tryin' to do a good thing.

If say...Publix was advertising something about selling Blackberries and ran out than we might have a beef since they are in business to turn a profit.............imho. But probably not since it falls to me under don't sweat the small stuff.

So it was a little disappointing to go to something you looked forward to and not have what you expected.

But if everyone looked at things the same way,.............................

I wouldn't have all these damned accumuated posts.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.