Bleach marks on clothes

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Veteran member
Default Bleach marks on clothes & PIN HOLES

We are have trouble with bleach marks on color clothes and towels. We use a small amount of bleach for white clothes only and rinse the bleach cup with a lot of water. We do not have a problem every time we wash clothes. I purchased a swim pool test kit. Tested chlorine level of our water every moring about 8 am for a week. 3 of the days the level was 1.5 ppm. (about normal level of a swim pool). 2 of the days the level was above 5 ppm (above the "shock the pool" level) Called the water dept. They come out about 3 hrs later and and tested the water and it was about 1.5 ppm. (my test kit now shows 1.5 ppm). It may be a problem with the overnite water monitoring problem. They said we are the only one having problems. Had the washing machine repair person check the machine. He found no problem but could smell chlorine in the water. (never told him about my test) He said if the chlorine level is high in the water you may get color streaks or PIN HOLES in clothes. There are other post about pin holes in clothes. If you are having a problem you may want to call the water dept. (352) 750-0000. They will not do any more checks without more complaints. We live in Sanibel.

Last edited by 2 Oldcrabs; 09-13-2012 at 09:41 AM. Reason: added heading
Old 09-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Sage

Here's how I solved my problem. We have a Bravos Maytag top loader. I ran a load of whites then ran a load of colored clothes after. Some of the bleach stayed in the bleach cup or farther down in the machine and put spots on my colored clothes. What I do now when I run whites is pour the bleach directly into the water instead of using the bleach cup. No more spots on the colored clothes.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:05 PM

Funny you should mention this. A few months ago I washed a set of sheets in my front loader and out came a set of streaked sheets as though I had poured bleach on them. I couldn't figure out what happened to them as this has never happened before. (I live in St. James)
As far as the pin holes in clothes that is a constant problem since I have moved here. There was a thread on this board about that problem and many people were having the same problem. I know it isn't my washer, and I never had this problem before I moved here. The holes are most apparent in my shirts. Nearly every shirt I own has holes in them. I would love to know that it is due to the water and all it takes is for a group of us to make a complaint to the water department.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Default Bleach spots on colored clothes

I have had the same problem off and on for the past several months.
Ruined two pairs of navy pants with white patches after removing from the washer. I did not use bleach in the previous load. White articles end up with blue spots. Very odd I think.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Veteran member

Why not just use Clorox 2 bleach & do away with all the bleach problems?
Old 09-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The situation as stated by the OP is the bleach in the WATER that come into your home from the water company; not the bleach you put into the wash yourself.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
The situation as stated by the OP is the bleach in the WATER that come into your home from the water company; not the bleach you put into the wash yourself.
Maybe read the first sentence Again then.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Downsized, didn't mean to offend. When I reread my post it did sound a little curt. Sorry....
Old 09-16-2012, 06:31 AM
Veteran member
Default Test kit

You can buy " Free Chlorine" test strips from the Pinch-a-Penny store
(Kohl shopping center) for about $7. Anything above 2ppm is unacceptable.
I started testing every day. Early AM the level is about 4ppm. After about 10AM it is down to 1.5ppm. Can not get the water dept to check before 10AM. They do not start work until 9AM. They do not have other complaints.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.