Used needles found in mulberry rec.center

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2021, 11:42 AM
Default Used needles found in mulberry rec.center

For the 3rd time I have found used hypodermic needles found in this area. 2 with caps on them 1 without . I brought one to the rec. office yesterday and asked if there was a container to dispose of the needle. Her response was they do not and it was not their problem. Are you serious ! The safety and security of the people here is absolutely their problem. What do we have to do wait for someone to get stuck by one of these needles or heaven forbid a grand child gets a hold of it. There is a simple solution to this problem, install sharp container somewhere behind the desk or near the bathrooms and have the local fire department change them out properly and securely. To have the staff at mulberry say it is not their problem and that I should take the needle home with me because they are not a hospital is un acceptable period ! This now makes me think that they have no training in these situations at all. Do they have training in blood borne pathogens incase there is a person that falls or any other osha training ? This problem needs to be addressed ASAP . Who do I talk to about this problem? Any help is appreciated, thank you
Old 09-04-2021, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcostello View Post
For the 3rd time I have found used hypodermic needles found in this area. 2 with caps on them 1 without . I brought one to the rec. office yesterday and asked if there was a container to dispose of the needle. Her response was they do not and it was not their problem. Are you serious ! The safety and security of the people here is absolutely their problem. What do we have to do wait for someone to get stuck by one of these needles or heaven forbid a grand child gets a hold of it. There is a simple solution to this problem, install sharp container somewhere behind the desk or near the bathrooms and have the local fire department change them out properly and securely. To have the staff at mulberry say it is not their problem and that I should take the needle home with me because they are not a hospital is un acceptable period ! This now makes me think that they have no training in these situations at all. Do they have training in blood borne pathogens incase there is a person that falls or any other osha training ? This problem needs to be addressed ASAP . Who do I talk to about this problem? Any help is appreciated, thank you
Start here.

John B. Rohan, Director of Recreation

352-674-1800
John.Rohan@Districtgov.org
Old 09-04-2021, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcostello View Post
Did she really tell you to bring the needle home with you? Did she REALLY say that? Was she aware that was not your needle and that you found the needle? You are just joshing with us. Right? Please say she did NOT say that.
Old 09-04-2021, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

The sky is not falling. Where did you find the needles? If they was in the trash it is mulberry problem cause they have contractors empty the trash? I also think if it was in lawn area, it is mulberries problem do to mowing? I never seen needles, but lots of beer and whiskey bottles. Was it along CR 42?
Old 09-04-2021, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

While this may be an issue, it is totally not surprising that the Villages declines to have Sharps containers. There are lots of rule about them and they must be disposed of as regulated medical waste, not thrown in the regular trash. All their staff and cleaning companies would need to be trained in biohazards with the required course repeated annually and all be vaccinated against Hep B. A company that handles medical waste would have to be hired to pick up the sharps container.
Old 09-04-2021, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Oh my gosh! How dare them!!! They would not take your dirty old needle from you? How much do you pay them to dispose of used needles? I would really be surprised if it is in their job description to handle contaminated needles that folks bring in to them. If folks are going to pick them up, they should also dispose of them rather than ask others to do it for them. Kind of like getting all bent out of shape when you find a dog turd, so you pick it up and take it to the reccenter and ask the employee to take care of it. Not their job.
Old 09-04-2021, 03:45 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

The people you should be upset with are the ones that leave those syringes laying around after they use them.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:10 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Put your head in the Sand ! The Heroin use here is out of control... pretend it's a Diabetic.... Time to call the Police , and let Drug enforcement stop this
Old 09-04-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Did she really tell you to bring the needle home with you? Did she REALLY say that? Was she aware that was not your needle and that you found the needle? You are just joshing with us. Right? Please say she did NOT say that.
God’s honest truth.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:30 PM

Are you serious ? Did the right thing and asked if there was a place to dispose of the needle. Some people like you have no idea
Old 09-04-2021, 05:33 PM

The fire department is already trained and handle medical waste. No reason they could not check the sharps container once a week to dispose of it seeing they already do it for their needles
Old 09-04-2021, 05:34 PM

They where all on the ground.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Put your head in the Sand ! The Heroin use here is out of control... pretend it's a Diabetic.... Time to call the Police , and let Drug enforcement stop this
Call sheriff over a used needed, how exactly are they going to stop something that already happened.

However since you have personal experience on “out of control drug use” are they your friends, or do you belong to the task force. Finding a vein on an elderly person is just hard to do. I would think weed or coke, would be a better choice. So can you share where the out of control drug use is in TV?
Old 09-04-2021, 05:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

////
Old 09-04-2021, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Why am I always suspicious when someone's first post is about stuff like this. Found needles on three different occasions to boot..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Closed Thread

Tags
problem, needles, training, found, needle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.