Blind Golf Cart Drivers

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Question Blind Golf Cart Drivers

Just curious as to if there is a restriction on a legally blind person driving a golf cart.
Heard on the radio of a person playing boce with binoculars because they could not see. He stated he moved to the village because he could not see to drive a car, but could drive a golf cart.
I also know 2 people who are legally blind, but still drive a golf cart.
Doesn't a golf cart driver need to see where he is going?
Just wondering.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Sage

Legal blindness does not mean a person cannot see at all. If the better eye is 20/200 or worse with corrective lenses, they are legally blind. (BTW, there is no such thing as being legally blind without your glasses, which I hear all the time.) Or if their field of vision is very limited, they can be legally blind. In both cases, they may have sufficient vision to navigate comfortably anywhere, but their vision is below standards required for a general driver's license. Their vision is usually adequate to operate a golf cart at golf cart speeds.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

There is absolutely no doubt there are people here driving cars and golf carts that cannot see.

Did you ever wonder why some folks wait until the last minute only to pull out in front of you? Because they can't see you yet. When they finally do they pull out.

Regarding golf carts....I walk 2-3 miles every day on the Multi modal paths. Every once in a while one will come right for me and at the last minute jerk the wheel to miss me, usually accompanied by oh my GOD I am sorry I didn't see you.

I vote for mandatory eye tests for driving vehicles every year 65 and above (maybe 70).

btk
Old 02-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Sage

We have to have an eye test to drive a car...so why not a golf cart. I know "legal blindness" can have lots of facets to it. Macular degeneration...that would be a scarey scenario if that person were driving.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Platinum member

At one volunteer group here in TV, my friend and I often sat at a table with a guy who we deduced was completely blind, until he announced in conversation that he was legally blind. He proudly mentioned he drove himself around in his golf car.

I often worried about that, as the piece work he did at our particular table was put in a special box set in front of him. He did it by FEEL and did not ever look down at what he was doing. His 'box' was always re-done by someone after he left.
Of course, it was redone without complaint, they were happy that HE was happy to volunteer, but his work would fall apart and not be usable otherwise.

I wondered what I would choose to do about driving if I were in his position. I really don't think I could chance it.

He appeared to have no fear about driving around TV.
He certainly made his way to the recreation center on time every week.
I never decided if his bravado came from courage, stubbornness, or lack of common sense... but always said. "be safe out there!" when he left.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Location: Brooklyn, NY Queens, NY Village of Summerhill, Village of Santiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
We have to have an eye test to drive a car...so why not a golf cart. I know "legal blindness" can have lots of facets to it. Macular degeneration...that would be a scarey scenario if that person were driving.
I know several people with Macular degeneration that drive a golf cart.
The VIP (Visually Impaired Persons) group meets once a month at Bridgeport.
Most people show up driving a golf cart.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Regarding golf carts....I walk 2-3 miles every day on the Multi modal paths. Every once in a while one will come right for me and at the last minute jerk the wheel to miss me.btk
BTK - Maybe they know you!
Old 02-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Just causz somebody don't see you don't mean their blind. They may just not paying attention where their going and besides some villagers think the side roads paths for LSV are just for golf carts and not walker's, Jogger's, Bikers, or scooters.

I see it everyday all over America from people that can see perfectly. Their is no test to stop that... Just like the Stop and yeild to your right at four way stops. You have to STOPPED and behind the stop sign before you in line! Not the red neck walts on through or stop in the middle of the street then look.

I know the majority of use do really good "looking out for the knuckleheads". I have feeling as population grows it will just get worse especially in the electrionic ditigal age.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Not really. Macular degeneration affects the central vision in the eye, i.e., the part measured on an eye chart. The peripheral vision is not affected. So, like the person described above, fine detail may be difficult, but the big picture is OK. You don't need 20/20 to see another vehicle in front of you, nor see the brake lights or turn signal.

I'd be more concerned about the guy I encountered today on Morse, riding his bicycle north against the flow of traffic between the bridge and 466. You don't need excellent eye sight to see the error in that.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Platinum member

[QUOTE=mikeod;631574] Macular degeneration affects the central vision in the eye, i.e., the part measured on an eye chart. The peripheral vision is not affected. So, like the person described above, fine detail may be difficult, but the big picture is OK. You don't need 20/20 to see another vehicle in front of you, nor see the brake lights or turn signal.]

Interesting to know that. Thanks, Mike!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:36 PM

I actually observe a lot of "blind", or is that inconsiderate, vehicle drivers here in TV.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:18 PM

Driving in TV requires much more patience and vigilance than almost anywhere else. I have neighbors in their 90's who wouldn't be allow anywhere near a car but zip up and down in their carts. By and large they can operate the carts safely but certainly not a car on a high speed street. And then there are the others: Too drunk, too medicated, too mad at the world, and too mechanically incompetent to be driving any vehicle on the roads. Them's the folks to be watchin' out fer!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.