Blue Bird identity???

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2014, 06:25 AM
Sage
Default Blue Bird identity???

Saw the most beautiful blue bird yesterday in The Village of Hadley. Can anyone give me a clue as to what it might have been???

Just answered my own question - I believe it was an Eastern Bluebird, but could not swear it wasn't a Mountain Bluebird. Really appeared to have a blue chest as well as back. Hopefully will see him again and take better note.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,350 Times in 2,071 Posts
Default Cornell Bird Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Saw the most beautiful blue bird yesterday in The Village of Hadley. Can anyone give me a clue as to what it might have been???

Just answered my own question - I believe it was an Eastern Bluebird, but could not swear it wasn't a Mountain Bluebird. Really appeared to have a blue chest as well as back. Hopefully will see him again and take better note.
This looks like a very good site for bird identification. Eastern Bluebird, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Old 05-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

One of the members on TOTV posts wonderful pictures from all over TV. Here is a recent shot of an Eastern Bluebird that Alkemorkam posted on TOTV. They are clearly here.

The Villages Florida
Old 05-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

The blue chest would indicate it is something other than an Eastern Bluebird. Keep an eye out for it and try to get more info. Eastern Bluebirds have reddish/rust on a large portion of their breasts.

Very unlikely it is either a Western or Mountain Bluebird.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:18 PM
Veteran member

Based on your observation of a blue chest, could have been either a Indigo Bunting or Blue Grosbeak. Both are very "blue"…..

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 05-15-2014, 05:10 AM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,112 Times in 1,224 Posts
Default This is a male and female Eastern Bluebird.

this was taken in The Villages.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Eastern BLuebird pair.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	41018  
Old 05-15-2014, 05:54 AM
Sage

Thank you for the pics - I was so enthralled by the blue I didn't really take note of anything else. Keeping my eyes open in hopes of seeing this bird again so I can get a more thorough look.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.