Blue origin has landed

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2021, 09:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
Happy for her but think whole thing was a waste of time and money. They could have rode a rollercoaster at six flags and had as much fun. Boring zzzzzzzz
Ah, got it, so they should only waste their money on things you would waste your money on?

okay.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:26 AM
Veteran member

Every time one of the private rockets goes up it reminds me of Ayn Rand and the entrepreneurs that make America great. As a science fiction reader it is truly amazing how far we have gotten over the years, private rockets, miniature phones we carry around in our pockets and computers that can tell us what the weather will be tomorrow haha.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb993 View Post
Great News: Yuri Gagarin first human to journey into outer space in his capsule, Vostok 1 completed one orbit of Earth on 12 April 1961. It's great that American private enterprise has been able to advance to be able to send rockets with humans into space. But, the technology has been available since before 1961. So what is all the nonstop hoopla about sending a lesser journey 60 years later? Seems like these these Billionaires are mostly interested in shooting a rocket into space shaped like a phalanx to boost their self esteem. What are they compensating for with these huge displays?
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...
(often attributed, though many say incorrectly, to Sigmund Freud)
Old 07-21-2021, 08:03 AM

I don’t know. It seems to me that calling them astronauts is like calling a kayaker a sailor or someone who dips their toe in the water a swimmer.

I was really excited about these things a decade ago, but seeing what SpaceX is doing in Boca Chica, TX right now is what is lighting my rockets.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

I don't care if they fly into space, but I do appreciate the fact that every time a billionaire spends money on any projects or products, a bunch of folks are working and making a salary. The more the wealthy folks spend the more the working folks gain. When the gov makes something or does something, no one makes money but everyone pays via taxation.
So, even though I do not care for these folks that made trip into space for a minute, I appreciate how much money they donated to the economy. Like I said, when the wealthy spend money, the working people gain.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
When the gov makes something or does something, no one makes money but everyone pays via taxation.
Say what? No one makes money? So, Boeing employees work for free on NASA’s upcoming SLS rocket? Boeing doesn’t make a profit so that their stockholders are left empty handed. The people who support the Boeing workers do that for free, too?

I’m sorry, but what you said sounds like regurgitated propaganda.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
Say what? No one makes money? So, Boeing employees work for free on NASA’s upcoming SLS rocket? Boeing doesn’t make a profit so that their stockholders are left empty handed. The people who support the Boeing workers do that for free, too?

I’m sorry, but what you said sounds like regurgitated propaganda.
Isn't Boeing a private industry? I believe someone already mentioned the failures of the space program run by NASA. AND remember, even if the gov uses contractors the taxpayer is STILL paying for it.
Case closed.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Isn't Boeing a private industry? I believe someone already mentioned the failures of the space program run by NASA. AND remember, even if the gov uses contractors the taxpayer is STILL paying for it.
Case closed.
So your position is billionaire create money, and the government takes it from us?

I thought the complaint was the government printed the money it spends. I can't keep up with all this.

Someone made a part used in every Boeing product, Boeing get a HUGE amount of government subsidies. That generates jobs, which generates taxes and pays the debts.

Companies charge "taxes" too, they just call it profit. Same idea, take money from the customer (citizens) to run and grow the business.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Case closed.
Only a part of government effort is done by civil servants. Most is done by contractors such as Boeing. No doubt that the government pays for it, but we the people benefit from the spending by the jobs it creates and the profits the corporations pass on to their shareholders.

And, even the work done by civil servants helps us as a whole. Those people are employed. They spend the money they earn. That creates more jobs that are purely private.

You were talking like it was money down the drain. It isn't.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbartle1 View Post
Happy for Wally Funk.
I was really happy for Wally. This was a dream come true for her and so nice of Bezos to offer her a seat.

I had to laugh at Kelly Ripa for commenting on the shape of the rocket. Both the rocket and Amazon’s logo have the same distinct profile. I asked my husband if I was the only one who noticed this. Apparently not!
Old 07-21-2021, 11:03 AM
Sage

Wow, such rationalizing! The gov does NOT create, it TAKES. Sure, the gov is good for some things. I did not say otherwise. But, the gov sucks at business, and no one can dispute that.
Contractors that work for the gov are being paid with taxpayer money. That means, it cost us. Private industry creates REAL jobs that cost us nothing, but really stimulates the economy. The gov cannot stimulate the economy, even with welfare.
Like I said, Billionaires spending money is a good thing. Any wealthy spending money is a good thing. If they purchase a yacht, someone else builds it. Someone provides the materials, etc. If they purchase an expensive car, the same. The gov takes from us and spends OUR money inefficiently.
Printing money does nothing for the country, other than deflates the value of the dollar.
On the other hand, if the gov pays private sector contractors to provide a service, it DOES save us some money. Why? Because they do the job better AND they pay all the benefits to their employees instead the gov being required to pay benefits such as retirement pension and health insurance.
We are now seeing the private industry doing the space program better than our gov and it is not costing the taxpayer.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Wow, such rationalizing! The gov does NOT create, it TAKES. Sure, the gov is good for some things. I did not say otherwise. But, the gov sucks at business, and no one can dispute that.
Contractors that work for the gov are being paid with taxpayer money. That means, it cost us. Private industry creates REAL jobs that cost us nothing, but really stimulates the economy. The gov cannot stimulate the economy, even with welfare.
Like I said, Billionaires spending money is a good thing. Any wealthy spending money is a good thing. If they purchase a yacht, someone else builds it. Someone provides the materials, etc. If they purchase an expensive car, the same. The gov takes from us and spends OUR money inefficiently.
Printing money does nothing for the country, other than deflates the value of the dollar.
On the other hand, if the gov pays private sector contractors to provide a service, it DOES save us some money. Why? Because they do the job better AND they pay all the benefits to their employees instead the gov being required to pay benefits such as retirement pension and health insurance.
We are now seeing the private industry doing the space program better than our gov and it is not costing the taxpayer.
You are saying it in a way that seems to say the government is a big black hole and money goes in and nothing comes out.

There are many examples TODAY of government ineffciency. But, historically the government did a good job investing in our country - Interstate highway, post office, public schools, NASA, Internet, and more and more.

And as much as some hate the post office it was for decades the model of the best post office in the world.

As much as some people love to hate the public school system people came from all over the world to learn how we taught school because it was so successful.

The interstate Hiway system made a massive boost to our economy.

Nothing cost nothing. Private jobs are no different than government contracts when it comes to impact on the economy...

As much as you say "the government can't" - just saying it doesn't make it so.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
You are saying it in a way that seems to say the government is a big black hole and money goes in and nothing comes out.

There are many examples TODAY of government ineffciency. But, historically the government did a good job investing in our country - Interstate highway, post office, public schools, NASA, Internet, and more and more.

And as much as some hate the post office it was for decades the model of the best post office in the world.

As much as some people love to hate the public school system people came from all over the world to learn how we taught school because it was so successful.

Nothing cost nothing. Private jobs are no different than government contracts when it comes to impact on the economy...

I believe you are talking in absolutes. I did not say that we have a BAD gov. I said that private industry does a better job in BUSINESS than the gov. I said that I liked to see the wealthy spend money, because it boosts the economy and folks live better because of their spending. Do I dare say "trickle down?" I know some folks get all up in arms about it, but the gov does NOT manage business efficiently. For every thing you mentioned that the gov has done well at in the past, private enterprise has done better. Post office, security, infrastructure, etc.
I know folks get excited when someone criticizes the gov, but the point made was that the private space program is doing well and saving the taxpayer money. Saving the taxpayer money seems like a good thing to me.
When the wealthy spend money, the rest of us profit from their spending. And the economy also flourishes.
That is what I see when I see SpaceX
Old 07-21-2021, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post

"Was"...

How many times did you repeat that word?

-Tom Petty
Old 07-21-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I don't care if they fly into space, but I do appreciate the fact that every time a billionaire spends money on any projects or products, a bunch of folks are working and making a salary. The more the wealthy folks spend the more the working folks gain. When the gov makes something or does something, no one makes money but everyone pays via taxation.
So, even though I do not care for these folks that made trip into space for a minute, I appreciate how much money they donated to the economy. Like I said, when the wealthy spend money, the working people gain.
When government spends, NASA employees receive salaries, infrastructure is improved, etc., etc., and life goes on.
Closed Thread

Tags
blue, moon, landed, happy, wally

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.