Biking on main streets

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2014, 08:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts
Default Biking on main streets

I did a search to check on this, but still unclear...

This morning, about 8:30, we drove up Buena Vista from 466a to 466. During the trip we saw at least 8 individual bikers in the right lane - most decked out in their bike suits, helmets, mirrors, etc. They were not riding together, but spread along BV during the drive. A few were not going fast at all. We were driving in the right lane, and each time had to swerve around each biker.

I don't seem to recall running into bikers (not truly...) on BV or Morse before. Aren't they mandated to take the Multi-Modal paths? Of course going around the roundabouts is challenge enough - but with a bike???

What gives?
Old 10-22-2014, 08:09 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Riding a bike in the Villages is the same as riding a bike on any other local road. Bikes and their riders are not restricted from the roads in any way. Cars should give the same courtesy extended to riders any place else and the bike riders should do same. Lucky for you they were not riding together [as some of the clubs do] and been a victim of their blowing around the traffic circles! Now that is an experience!

Old 10-22-2014, 08:36 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Do remember that the law is there must be a three foot clearance between you and the bike when passing. This applies to cars, trucks, golf carts, motorcycles and scooters. You may find bicyclists inconvenient but they do have the legal right to share the road with you.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-23-2014, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,403 Posts

Wasn't that question on the drivers test?
Old 10-23-2014, 10:56 AM
Veteran member

The ones that go out there and ride in a pack at a decent speed don't bother me. I don't mind that they blow a stop sign if they do it in a safe way.

The ones that worry and scare us the most are what my wife and I refer to as "The Wobblers". These are the ones that ride at 10 MPH or less and wobble all over the road, ride two abreast, ear buds listening to the radio or their playlist and totally oblivious to the traffic around them.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:36 AM
Eternal Member

Today I was headed south on Buena Vista and there were 5 or 6 bicyclists in the right lane single file. All of a sudden, they spread out and took the entire right lane. Then the leader put out his left arm and all of them moved to the left lane without looking behind them. Then they proceeded through the Buena Vista/Camino Real circle without even slowing down. They went 3/4 around the circle and shifted into the right lane before exiting on Camino Real.

It was like a death wish waiting to happen.

Z
Old 10-23-2014, 12:22 PM

I'd like to hear from any of the bikers out there and get their perspective on how to share the road, what scares them etc. Anyone?
Old 10-23-2014, 03:30 PM

What I don't understand is, golf carts are not allowed on the roads unless they are registered, insured and can maintain 30 miles per hour, if bicycles want to use the roads they should have to register and insure them just like cars and golf carts especially if they want the same rights of the road as the afore mentioned vehicles.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:45 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-SRT View Post
What I don't understand is, golf carts are not allowed on the roads unless they are registered, insured and can maintain 30 miles per hour, if bicycles want to use the roads they should have to register and insure them just like cars and golf carts especially if they want the same rights of the road as the afore mentioned vehicles.
Actually what I have asked in the past is if a golf cart goes faster than 20 mph the owner can be charged with driving an unregistered vehicle. Yet many bikers can well exceed 20 mph and the owner is not charged...and be clear that under the rues of the road bikes are vehicles and subject to the same rules as cars or carts.

Bicyclist all over the country are viewed with the same frustration by driver Articles have been written about the tension between auto drivers and cyclist. George is right about the wobblers they are the scariest of all but least we forget many cyclists believe the rules of road do not apply to them. In New York city some cyclist that are messengers remove their brakes
Old 10-23-2014, 04:19 PM
Eternal Member

A street legal cart can go on roadways which have a 35 mph speed limit or less. The street legal cart may not exceed 25 mph.

A golf cart that is non-street legal may be on roadways which have a 30 mph speed limit or less. The non-street legal cart may not exceed 20 mph.

No such limitations on bikes.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I can absolutely guarantee you that they knew who was behind them - almost all serious cyclist have mirrors. They probably went through the roundabout at 20 mph or less, which is typically what many cars do and I am sure they entered the roundabout when it was clear to do so. Cyclist have every right to take up an entire lane, as do cars. It sounds to me that they were practicing safe riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
Today I was headed south on Buena Vista and there were 5 or 6 bicyclists in the right lane single file. All of a sudden, they spread out and took the entire right lane. Then the leader put out his left arm and all of them moved to the left lane without looking behind them. Then they proceeded through the Buena Vista/Camino Real circle without even slowing down. They went 3/4 around the circle and shifted into the right lane before exiting on Camino Real.

It was like a death wish waiting to happen.

Z
Old 10-23-2014, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
...Then the leader put out his left arm and all of them moved to the left lane without looking behind them...
Z
Just like when you drive your car, a cyclist will also use mirrors to avoid turning their head. Usually they attach to your glasses or helmet because on a bike turning your head can be dangerous.

The Villages Florida
Old 10-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Well, that is not what the law says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-SRT View Post
Old 10-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

A golf cart doesn't take a header when running over a squirrel or a bump. A bike can and frequently does. While there is some debris on a surface street, there is a tremendous amount on most paths, although most golf cart paths here are pretty clean and smooth. In TV, golf cart drivers are under the illusion all paths are for them and should not be shared by walkers, runners, dogs, bicyclists, etc. the drivers with this attitude make the paths hazardous for bikes. A walker can safely move to the grass area, most bikes cannot. On the road, there is nearly always enough room for a car to pass a bike safely and legally. Again, this is not always the case on the paths. Most experienced bike riders will take a road over a path any chance given. It's just safer and easier.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-23-2014, 05:27 PM

There should be NO bikes (pedal) on any roadway that has a posted speed of 35 mph or more.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.