Our LPP

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Default Our LPP

The wife and I are visiting TV on our Lifestyle Preview Plan on May 1. We are very excited about it.
(We're more than half convinced that TV is going to be our home in the near future. Planning to retire next year around this time.)

The timing of buying and selling our home hear in NY has me thinking that I might prefer selling here and renting nearby until the right unit becomes available. We will be interested in a pre-owned unit and I don't see that coming off just on our schedule.

My question to all my TV forum friends is-where would you recommend renting close by?

We see that all year renting in TV is hard to find and it seems a bit expensive.

We wouldn't mind a hours drive as we are New Yorkers and an hour on the pleasant roads of Florida is nothing to us.

I'm asking now as we may take some time to check this out on our visit next week.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Dear Ivanhoe, Welcome!

I am not clear as to what kind of unit you are thinking you'd like.

Because there are always all classification of homes available in resale homes to buy...all of the time!! Villages homes, older and modular, Villas, small to large, cottages, Designers and the bigger Premiers. I wonder if you have looked at the site, thevillages.com.

But perhaps I misunderstand your post. There is no reason to drive a long distance to rent something either, because homes can be rented for a year here inside of The Villages. There are 63(?) villages now and the tenth championship golf course in under constuction and there are....32(?) executive course and a lot of pickleball courts, swimming pools and recreation centers, each with a gorgeous theme inside.

You will be so overwhelmed when you arrive! I know you will love it, but feel free to ask all of the nice people who post on this forum anything and everything. We have all been a beginner here.

Kindest wishes,
Gracie
Old 04-22-2011, 07:31 PM

Houses in Bayside should sell fairly well (I grew up there!)...and renting could be a lot cheaper outside of TV. We also thought of renting, but you will never get the full flavor unless you are inside TV. It really seems to be a "WAY OF LIFE" that brings in the people. You can retire almost anywhere in Florida, as there are many available and inexpensive places out there, but TV seems to have a lot to offer for a fun way to spend our retirement years!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the quick response everyone.

I see now that I make a mistake by not clicking on the "long term" rentals.

I assumed that these were something like one or two year leases.

It appears that there are many more options under this rubric than others so we will be looking there and will most likely attempt to rent in TV.
Some of the many units are within our budget which makes me much more at ease.

Thanks again for you help.

Looking forward to being a good neighbor!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:05 PM

While it may be cheaper to rent an off-TV property, renting in TV gives you a day after day, full feel for what your new lifestyle will be.

I haven't really looked at year-round rental costs. Wifey and I have done the LPP but we also have subsequently stayed at properties found on two rental sites that may be of use to you. The sites are ****.com, then follow links until you get to the villages and also vacationrentals.com, then follow links until you get to the villages.

If renting in TV, you can so easily check out via golf carts, bikes, walks what mornings in one area, evenings in another area....shopping and whatever. You won't get that experience living a drive away.

I would consider any extra $$ and any inconvenience as an investment/research cost
Old 04-23-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoe View Post
The wife and I are visiting TV on our Lifestyle Preview Plan on May 1. We are very excited about it.
(We're more than half convinced that TV is going to be our home in the near future. Planning to retire next year around this time.)

The timing of buying and selling our home hear in NY has me thinking that I might prefer selling here and renting nearby until the right unit becomes available. We will be interested in a pre-owned unit and I don't see that coming off just on our schedule.

My question to all my TV forum friends is-where would you recommend renting close by?

We see that all year renting in TV is hard to find and it seems a bit expensive.

We wouldn't mind a hours drive as we are New Yorkers and an hour on the pleasant roads of Florida is nothing to us.

I'm asking now as we may take some time to check this out on our visit next week.
WOW, we are planning about this time next year and are planning on a pre-owned as well. We also are possibly planning to rent and then buy. The advantage of renting within TV is you can get the Sun (local paper) daily delivered to your door (even while renting) and have access to daily open houses by both TV and other realtors. We have made 7 weekly visits and during each visit we would have our morning coffee and plan the open houses to visit in the morning (normally 10:00-12:00) and then the afternoon open houses (normally 2:00-4:00). You also will be "on property" and can spend your time riding around TV and not commuting (something I'm sure you are tired of doing).

Hopefully we can make a rental arrangement (month or two) that wouldn't tie us down on a long term rental should we find that "dream home" with maybe a quick close!!

One think you didn't mention is whether you are moving furniture. We are planning to buy a furnished home, as we don't plan to bring our "stuff" from this house, only to find it won't fit in our Villages home.

Best of luck on whichever plan of attack you choose. After our first visit in 2005, we know 100% that TV was definitely for us.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:47 PM

Thanks jg,

That's very helpful advice!

We are going to be "traveling" light...plan to sell our place here in NYC as a "turn key" and will buy furniture to suit the pre-owned unit in The Villages.

We are assigned as agent for this coming trip and I would expect that this person would be offering us possible opportunities for purchase once we get our priorities in order.

I really like that idea -viewing open houses- and of being in the environment.

I wonder if, after you are assigned an agent, you must use them for any future purchase.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
.......I wonder if, after you are assigned an agent, you must use them for any future purchase.
I don't believe it's a requirement. But as a personal and professional courtesy, you should work through them, particularly if you've been utilizing their help and occupying their time with having them show you (and educate you) about TV and the various housing options, etc. If you're not happy or just not 'clicking' with them, bring it to their attention and/or contact a TV sales office and request a different sales person be assigned.

It does get confusing, though: If you go into an open house (listed through TV) by yourself, for instance, there are TV sales reps there wanting to show you the place. Some will ask if you're already working with someone - some don't. They will tell you that all the sales people cooperate with one another. But I've always wondered how that works in execution......

Bill
Old 04-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks jg,

I wonder if, after you are assigned an agent, you must use them for any future purchase.
Some people have used an outside real estate agent, (a buyers agent), in addition to the TV agent to show you other properties not listed by TV agents.

Linda Sears of Morris Realty was highly recommended to me, (352) 205-0713Unfortunately, I can't buy anyhthing until my condo sells.

Best of Luck.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:55 PM

OK Bill,

Thanks for that input. I would certainly not want to step on anyone's lively hood and was curios about how it worked.

Hopefully we will be happy with our assigned agent..we've come to expect that at TV.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.