Bonifay/Fernindina smell

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2012, 07:09 AM
Veteran member

Used to operate sew plants(aerobic plants) and there is no reason that they should smell if they are running right. And if they are having a hard time with them there is an additive that can mask the smell. Just my experience and opinion.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueHeronFan

Not sure if this is the problem with the oder or not, but I have noticed when we haven't had a decent rain in awhile and the ponds a low, some of the water must get caught in the storm sewer tubes and becomes stagnet.

I have noticed a similar oder near Pimlico rec center when that is the case.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:27 PM

Where are the Bagart and Bacall golf course located
Old 01-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Why would a golf course stink? Just wondering.
Because the golfer won't admit he does
Old 01-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Sage

BlueHeron is right. I played golf at Pimlico last week and noticed an unpleasant odor coming from the ponds that are drying up.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Gold member

There is no sewerage treatment plant near Bonifay. All of the treatment is done at the plant that near the Bacall golf course. You may have noticed a lot on construction going on there while they were getting ready to open the new sections south of 466A - that was the expansion of the treatment plant to handle the entire "Final Phase".
Old 01-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Default NJblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
There is no sewerage treatment plant near Bonifay. All of the treatment is done at the plant that near the Bacall golf course. You may have noticed a lot on construction going on there while they were getting ready to open the new sections south of 466A - that was the expansion of the treatment plant to handle the entire "Final Phase".
Hi NJ, have seen the ongoing work at Bacall area plant and think it would be great if it is the last sewerage treatment plant. I find it hard to believe that Brownwood (given the size of it) is going to pump all it's sewerage to that site. I am curious, who told you that bacall is handling the entire "final phase"?
Old 01-16-2012, 03:56 PM

There are also different sensitivities to smells. One person may not even notice a smell while someone else finds it objectionable. Those sensitive to odors might relate to being around someone that had an overdose of cologne or perfume. The wearer probably isn't aware of how strong it is.
Same thing with the trains - it bothers some, others don't notice or tune it out. (Or turn off their hearing aids.)
Old 01-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHeronFan View Post
Not sure if this is the problem with the oder or not, but I have noticed when we haven't had a decent rain in awhile and the ponds a low, some of the water must get caught in the storm sewer tubes and becomes stagnet.

I have noticed a similar oder near Pimlico rec center when that is the case.
I just noticed the Pimlico smell today as I was driving on Belvedere, quite pungent. In four winters, I've only noticed the smell once near Pimlico. But I have noticed it often in a few other pond areas.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:16 PM
Gold member
Default Rain!

We need a good steady rain for several days. To refill the ponds and dilute that sewage.

It was explained to me when the ponds are low that sewages is tansfered to water you lawns. Ehewwww!
Old 01-16-2012, 11:00 PM

Speaking of foul odors, sewer processing plants and other things, here is a picture taken on Jan 13, 2012 of what appears to be a processing plant/facility of some sort off Bonifay Path across the street from the Bonifay Country Club. As is the custom it is hidden from the road by high bushes and one has to give a good hard look to discover it. Anyone interested can take a drive down and check it out.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20120113_001 (2).JPG
Views:	177
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1609  
Old 01-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3puttharry View Post
Hi NJ, have seen the ongoing work at Bacall area plant and think it would be great if it is the last sewerage treatment plant. I find it hard to believe that Brownwood (given the size of it) is going to pump all it's sewerage to that site. I am curious, who told you that bacall is handling the entire "final phase"?
I had a tour of the plant a couple of years ago which included a presentation by the head of The Villages sanitation department. He said that the plant there, once it was enlarged, will handle all of the building south of 466A.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeball View Post
Speaking of foul odors, sewer processing plants and other things, here is a picture taken on Jan 13, 2012 of what appears to be a processing plant/facility of some sort off Bonifay Path across the street from the Bonifay Country Club. As is the custom it is hidden from the road by high bushes and one has to give a good hard look to discover it. Anyone interested can take a drive down and check it out.
This is the water storage tank that they are using instead of the tall towers that you see around. There is one similar to that off Morse near Bonita. This will not give off any odors.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
We need a good steady rain for several days. To refill the ponds and dilute that sewage.

It was explained to me when the ponds are low that sewages is tansfered to water you lawns. Ehewwww!
Not true. The water used for residential irrigation (south of 466) is a combination of the ponds (which are fed by rain runoff) and the lower aquifer (not the same aquifer that we get our drinking water from). The irrigation water for the golf courses, however, does have a component from the waste water treatment plant (along with the ponds and the lower aquifer).

I have seen the water coming out of the waste water treatment plant up close (could literally reach out and touch it). It has no odor and is so clear that you would think that you could drink it - but hasn't been purified to the extent that you really could drink it.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 PM

Tall water towers are necessary to generate the necessary water pressure via the law of gravity. A tower 70 ft tall will generate at least 30 psi of discharge pressure. A so called water tower of no significant height off the ground would generate very little pressure and be of no practical use. That's why we have numerous tall towers around TV.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.