Bottle brush bush

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2008, 01:39 AM
Default Bottle brush bush

I have 2 bottle brush bushes and they are looking kind of weepy. One produced a lot of red flowers but the other one didn't. I used Miracle Gro on them and I can't seem to get the green color looking healthy. Does anyone have any suggestions.

you can email me at wacko23@comcast.net
Old 04-20-2008, 03:52 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Bottle brush bush

Root rot and canker are problems if the soil is kept too wet.* When I noticed this problem in one of my Bottlebrush trees, I dug around the base 6 or 8 inches down to expose and air out some of the roots.* I also applied some fungicide while I was down there.* Within 3 or 4 months I noted significant improvement.*

By the way, the form of the Bottlebrush Tree is often "weeping", like a miniature Weeping Willow.* There's a ton of great information if you Google "Weeping Bottle Brush" or "Bottle Brush Tree or Shrub"* There is also a cultivar that is better suited to north central Florida than the most common varieties: Lemon Bottlebrush - this is less susceptible to front damage.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 04-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We bought a house day before yesterday (It is new) and after the fact realized we will need to shade the screen porch from evening sun. I know nothing about the flora of central Florida. What is fast growing and will give good shade? I heard that planting a palm tree is best left to the "experts" because a novice can leave air pockets. I love gardening. I read Mr. Mucci's advice to Google the plant name, but I don't even know the plants that grow in this zone. Any recommendations on books about plants here?
Old 04-20-2008, 05:08 PM

This site might give you some usefull information

http://publicserver2.sjrwmd.com/waterwise/
Old 04-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Veteran member

A book I just bought for myself that I obviously thought was pretty helpful is "Florida Top 10 Garden Guide."* It gives the recommended top 10 plants for each of the 3 main climate zones of Florida in the following categories:

Annuals
Bulbs
Perennials
Roses
Shrubs
Trees
Palms
Vines
Ground Covers
Fruit Trees

His recommendations for Trees include:

Bald Cypress
Evergreen Magnolia
Flowering Dogwood (needs to be planted in broken shade - so this is not a "primary" shade tree)
Live Oak (water oak is a fast growing variety of Oak and would be good for quicker shade)
Maple (Florida Sugar Maple or Red Maple)
Pine (Loblolly, Longleaf, Sand, Slash) I like to plant thes in a cluster of 3 or 4, 7 or 8 feet apart - it makes a nice little shaded* "grove" - and the pine needles make a great self-sustaining ground cover.
Redbud
River Birch
Texas Olive
Trumpet Tree

Some of these grow faster than others.* Generally, the more they are fertilzed (e.g. twice a year with the requisite number of fertilizer stakes) and watered as specified, the faster they will grow, especially during the first 3 or 4 years after planting.

For instant shade, you will need to spend several hundred dollars for a 10 to 12 foot tall tree with a 3" calipre (radius as measured about 4' above ground level.)

Remember, the faster they grow, the more susceptible they are to wind damage - the wood is softer.* And usually, the faster they grow, the cheaper they are for a given size.

Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 04-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Gold member

Watch out for the fast growing trees as you may find within 3-5 years they are too large and too close to your home. Personally I like some varieties to Holly bushes and Trees. They are evergreen, give shade, don't have major leaf drops and those with red berries attract many varieties of birds. Trees can be shaped and bushes cut to form a hedge.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Sage

Gracie, you just brought up another point that would be buyers should consider. Where does the sun hit my house? The sun can be brutal. A sun facing lanai can get very, very hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl
We bought a house day before yesterday (It is new) and after the fact realized we will need to shade the screen porch from evening sun. I know nothing about the flora of central Florida. What is fast growing and will give good shade? I heard that planting a palm tree is best left to the "experts" because a novice can leave air pockets. I love gardening. I read Mr. Mucci's advice to Google the plant name, but I don't even know the plants that grow in this zone. Any recommendations on books about plants here?
Old 04-20-2008, 08:52 PM

What's this I hear about Epson Salt to keep Palm trees green. I see a lot of them with yellow leaves. How much, how often? Or is this even true? My daughter has one in a pot left at her home by previous owner (approx. 6 ft. tall) and I think it retains too much water, thus yellow leaves. Could that be the problem? Thanks
Old 04-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Sage

Yes on the epsom salts. I think about 2#, 4x per year on a mature palm. Spread the salts from the dripline in to about 12" from the trunk. I don't know that this is correct, but it's what I do, and my palms look great.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Sage

Sam, stupid question here. 2lbs, 4 times a year? What is a dripline??? So we should use less for newer trees, I'm assuming. Please 'splain. :dontknow:
Old 04-21-2008, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the tip on Epsom Salt. I take it you just put it in/on soil like fertilizer or do you mix that with water? And, if so, how much water? I'll do the same with mature and half it with the one that is six ft tall in pot. Take care.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Sage

Bump (Hoping Sam will see the question) :dontknow:
Old 04-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Waiting for Sam to answer these questions, too.

I have an immature Queen Palm about 14 feet tall that was planted last summer. We have already cut off 2 branches due to yellowing. The base of the tree has one of those extra drip heads installed, mess barrier, with about 3 inches of stone on top.

My question is the same as Cajungirl...do I mix the salts with water before pouring it around the outer base of the tree?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Veteran member

If you run over to Walmarts and look at the ingredients of PALM fertilizer, you will see it is mostly magnesium sulfate. If you run over to the pharmacy and look at Epsom Salts, it is also magnesium sulfate and probably half the price. So buy a large bag of Epsom Salts and spread 2 lbs 4 times a year beginning at the dripline ( the outermost reach of the branches to no closer to the trunk that 12 inches. Sit back and watch your palm thrive. Mine nearly doubled in girth in a year ( sorta like I do).

Handie :joke:
Old 04-22-2008, 12:14 AM
Sage

:bigthumbsup: Thanks for the info handiman and Sam!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.