Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
The females tend to be meaner! LOL jk
oh, You!!
Old 01-16-2021, 10:11 AM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
When I was younger I frequently defended females, but as I grow older and maybe wiser, I find I like men better. The way they think, the way they don't eat cats.

Oh, we were talking about alligators.
That's true, women can get "catty".
Old 01-16-2021, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
I feel awful now. I hope I am not the cause of his demise. In the future I will never call attention to an animal again. Lesson learned and hoping the alligator doesn't pay fot it.
listen, this thread can be removed, don't upset urself. gators are EVERYWHERE, there's a few up in our area, we just look & admire & they move on their way. because there are so many, your Brad may be long gone, & by the time somebody sees this post, he's most likely moved on to a whole other location. not for 1 minute do we expect serious forum members here are going to find you& camp out looking for him, lol. just keep it on the lowdown in ur neighborhood, & don't worry!! oxo
Old 01-16-2021, 10:25 AM

Over time, I've learned that there are some myths about alligators. First and foremost, their speed, agility, and aggressiveness. Gators are much more comfortable(and aggressive) in water, which is their natural habitat. On land, they're not very comfortable, as they can only run short distances before tiring. Their main weapon, is to grab their prey(primarily small animals), drag them under water, and drown them. They can't chew, so they let the item rot, then ingest it. I would think cats are too agile and fast, but small dogs, more likely. I've spoken to a few divers(fetching golf balls in retention ponds), and they've all been bitten about a dozen times. No big deal. They just carry a stick and poke them around the eyes. They don't like it, and scurry off. They're very aware of the size of humans, and will not go after larger objects, lest other circumstances(mating season, protecting young, or VERY hungry). And even then, the results are very rarely fatal.

As for Larry, I'm pretty sure he/they get removed when they become too comfortable with human interaction, not merely because they're named, identified, or even watched. It's when they start getting fed, and then learn to cozy up to humans. That's when something bad happens. Alligators will generally run into the water when approached by humans. When they don't, you can pretty much bet they'll get removed.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:18 AM

You really need to think about cat lovers that live in TV.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
I think Brad the Alligator can survive very well without your intervention. If you want to give him a treat, you may venture to the edge of the pond.
Now that's funny.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:59 AM
Sage

Last edited by Barefoot; 01-16-2021 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Post deleted
Old 01-16-2021, 12:10 PM
Sage

Last edited by Barefoot; 01-16-2021 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Post deleted
Old 01-16-2021, 12:11 PM

I call him Lucky! I think he is pretty chill. Any time I have seen him with my dog he has jumped in the water.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Their relocated pond to deep fryer
Old 01-16-2021, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,352 Times in 5,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
I feel awful now. I hope I am not the cause of his demise. In the future I will never call attention to an animal again. Lesson learned and hoping the alligator doesn't pay fot it.
Well if it is a lion or a tiger you can let us all know.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,573 Times in 516 Posts

The alligator will do fine.

You people need to learn to SHUT UP about the wildlife here in The Villages, especially the gators. It’s the quickest way to get rid of them by talking about them.....
Old 01-16-2021, 03:43 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
The alligator will do fine.

You people need to learn to SHUT UP about the wildlife here in The Villages, especially the gators. It’s the quickest way to get rid of them by talking about them.....

All the alligators will not be removed because some people inform authorities about what they perceive as a nuisance alligator. Having worked several years for FL FWC (BTW this organization has undergone many name changes in the past so some may know of them by a different acronym) each nuisance case is individually investigated. If you report it to local authorities they are charged to report it to FWC. FWC makes the call.

The alligators are still protected by FL law, just no longer classified as endangered. Mass culling of docile gator populations does not occur. Estimates I have seen has the current FL gator population over 1,000,000. Given that an individual gator is deemed a threat to humans, or specific wildlife, it will be removed or destroyed.

If you feel threatened by a gator, report it. Just do not be surprised if the FWC does not remove that gator if they deem it not a nuisance. They certainly are not going to annihilate the entire gator population of an area for one nuisance gator.

"you people need to learn to shut up ...", really? Not a great way to influence people.

Last edited by Joe V.; 01-16-2021 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:50 PM

There was a very large gator (7+ feet) by the Loblolly pond behind our house and another, smaller (4-5') one. We've enjoyed watching them sun themselves on the opposite bank and I privately named them Boots (the big one) and Purse. Well, a bit over a week ago, Boots started venturing onto the golf course, to the point several golfers visibly freaked out. A couple of times, he/she positioned itself right across the cart path. Now we haven't seen Boots in about a week and I suspect someone came and dealt with it. We never saw it being overtly aggressive, but it had clearly lost its fear of humans--no good. (Purse is still around and sunning him/herself.)
Old 01-16-2021, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,743 Times in 704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
All the alligators will not be removed because some people inform authorities about what they perceive as a nuisance alligator. Having worked several years for FL FWC (BTW this organization has undergone many name changes in the past so some may know of them by a different acronym) each nuisance case is individually investigated. If you report it to local authorities they are charged to report it to FWC. FWC makes the call.

The alligators are still protected by FL law, just no longer classified as endangered. Mass culling of docile gator postulations does not occur. Estimates I have seen has the current FL gator population over 1,000,000. Given that an individual gator is deemed a threat to humans, or specific wildlife, it will be removed or destroyed.

If you feel threatened by a gator, report it. Just do not be surprised if the FWC does not remove that gator if they deem it not a nuisance. They certainly are not going to annihilate the entire gator population of an area for one nuisance gator.

"you people need to learn to shut up ...", really? Not a great way to influence people.
Excellent points, both about FWC and manners.

People would be surprised how many calls FWC receives about “an alligator in a pond” in The Villages. As you stated, more often than not, the gator remains, as it’s not deemed a threat.
Closed Thread

Tags
alligator, brad, pond, small, east

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.