birdcage question

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2015, 10:18 PM
Default birdcage question

I am a newbie to Talk of the Villagers and a newbie to Florida. I recently moved to The Villages and had a birdcage built. Is it usual for condensation to drip down the vertical aluminum posts of a bird cage in the morning and puddle on the concrete floor? (There's one particular post, adjacent to the gutter, which definitely accumulates the largest puddle of water.)
... I'm afraid to think about what the puddle(s) will look like during a heavy rainy.

I asked the contractor who built the birdcage about this and he said its all normal. I inquired about caulking the joints at the top of the posts where the water appears to be dripping through. He said that he didn't want to do that as it would create a place for water to sit and become stagnant and moldy.

Any thoughts on this from birdcage owners?
Old 01-23-2015, 02:01 PM

Old 01-24-2015, 08:55 AM
Gold member

I have a gutter in my birdcage that leaks at the 2 joints it has. I have tried to stop the leaks with that spray that guy advertises, don't work. I tried RV self leveling caulk, don't work. I tried a whole gallon of roof cement, don't work. Trying to find a contractor to remove the gutter and dome part of the birdcage and replace with a solid roof. So far, no luck at that either. I would not recommend a birdcage that has a gutter in it.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:19 AM
Sage

We live in a semi-tropical area. It's not like "up north" we've found. Condensation (from humidity) does form and drip so this may be your issue. I would inquire with "maybe" a company like T & D and ask them re: this if it's a problem you can't live with. Oh...I've noticed with our lanai that a green 'substance' occurs (moss?) One just has to be sure to pressure wash areas on a regular basis to get rid of this. We never knew about "having" to pressure wash homes before moving here, having to have a "bug man" neither so it's just something we need to adapt to living in a different area of the country.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
We live in a semi-tropical area. It's not like "up north" we've found. Condensation (from humidity) does form and drip so this may be your issue. I would inquire with "maybe" a company like T & D and ask them re: this if it's a problem you can't live with. Oh...I've noticed with our lanai that a green 'substance' occurs (moss?) One just has to be sure to pressure wash areas on a regular basis to get rid of this. We never knew about "having" to pressure wash homes before moving here, having to have a "bug man" neither so it's just something we need to adapt to living in a different area of the country.

Well said. Sometimes the condensation "puddles" can be lou-lou's.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
I have a gutter in my birdcage that leaks at the 2 joints it has. I have tried to stop the leaks with that spray that guy advertises, don't work. I tried RV self leveling caulk, don't work. I tried a whole gallon of roof cement, don't work. Trying to find a contractor to remove the gutter and dome part of the birdcage and replace with a solid roof. So far, no luck at that either. I would not recommend a birdcage that has a gutter in it.
2 of my neighbors just had birdcages installed, and the next door neighbor has one original with the house. ALL 3 have the large gutter between the house and the birdcage. If you do not have this, then all of the rain coming off the roof will go into the birdcage. As for the leaks, if the house is relatively new, call home warranty, if not, I would contact a company like T&D, and discuss the problem to see if they can provide a permanent fix.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:25 PM

We recently had a birdcage installed and we do find occasional, small puddles of condensation in the morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.