Broward Factory Service Agreements. Buyer Beware

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2022, 06:23 PM
Default Broward Factory Service Agreements. Buyer Beware

If you are thinking of entering into a service agreement with Broward Factory Services, make sure you READ Everything, ask questions, get answers, and make sure everything is in writing. I signed up online, then found out that signing up online is considered a Corporate agreement and may or may not include services offered at your local office. I recommend you call and talk with a representative in your area rather than going online. There are different types of agreements. I thought I had a Gold contract, meaning appliances would be replaced if they could not be repaired. I didn’t realize that some of my appliances were under a Silver Contract, which means repair costs only. Broward has an inspector come out, look at your appliances, and get serial numbers. He/she cannot tell you if something is not going to be covered. After the inspection I was told that my HVAC system, my oven, and my dishwasher would be covered as part of my Gold status. My washer, dryer, and refrigerator were not covered because either parts were no longer available or they were too old. My washer and dryer were 2009 and my refrigerator is newer than that. No idea why it wasn’t covered since it was purchased as a bundle with the stove, microwave, and dishwasher. My air conditioner had to be replaced within 2 weeks of signing the agreement so it was not covered - pre existing issue and nothing is covered until 30 days after signing. That cost $6700, but $1000 less than Broward quoted. I didn’t read the agreement, partly because I never got a copy. My washer stopped working. Since I had been told it wasn’t covered, i had someone other than Broward look at it. The cost of replacing the motor was as much as buying a new one so I spent $600 on a new washer. Now I find out I could have had Broward look at it because it was part of a Silver agreement that I knew nothing about and they may have been able to repair it at no cost to me. I spent $100 to have a repairman come out. Many of my friends are happy with the services they have gotten. My advise is Buyer Beware!
Old 04-21-2022, 08:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

These warranty contracts are huge money makers to the businesses offering them.'

Insure your life and home do not understand why people do not self insure everything else
Old 04-22-2022, 07:35 AM

I had some issues with Broward in the home I bought last year. Their standard gold contract, if you dive into the small print, excludes electronic circuitry and computer boards, which is the brains of newer refrigerators, HVAC, ovens, washers and more. Coverage of these is $100 more and I was told the real estate agent was responsible to tell me that. So a covered fridge wasn't covered. Too bad so sad. Gotcha capitalism at its worst. They then asked for renewal which for a year is over $800 to actually have real insurance.
And....the small print says the item must fail first, not be failing but broke and then they determine who to fix, what to fix and if replaced whatever brand they want. My homeowners insurance is only $300 more that that and covers a lot more. IMO this is a bad deal.
Old 04-22-2022, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja966 View Post
I had some issues with Broward in the home I bought last year. Their standard gold contract, if you dive into the small print, excludes electronic circuitry and computer boards, which is the brains of newer refrigerators, HVAC, ovens, washers and more. Coverage of these is $100 more and I was told the real estate agent was responsible to tell me that. So a covered fridge wasn't covered. Too bad so sad. Gotcha capitalism at its worst. They then asked for renewal which for a year is over $800 to actually have real insurance.
And....the small print says the item must fail first, not be failing but broke and then they determine who to fix, what to fix and if replaced whatever brand they want. My homeowners insurance is only $300 more that that and covers a lot more. IMO this is a bad deal.
In general, home warranties are definitely a bad deal. I understand that only about 8 percent of the premiums charged are used to make repairs. You will never get a local high quality repair company because they aren't going to share their profit with a warranty company. So, don't be surprised if some guy in a pickup truck from Ocala or Orlando comes to your house. You usually have no option to replace an appliance instead of repairing it. But, the worst part is that the warranty company may not be available for several days, even when you need an HVAC unit or a water heater repaired. There are good companies in The Villages who can respond to replace a water heater or repair an HVAC unit usually in less than 24 hours.
Old 04-22-2022, 08:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

When we bought our house 5 years ago, I had the seller throw in a Broward home agreement for 1 year.

In the first 3 months I called for a outlet problem I had.
A guy from Broward came to the house, check out the problem, turn to me and said: "You need a electrician"

Ya Think?
Old 04-22-2022, 10:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
When we bought our house 5 years ago, I had the seller throw in a Broward home agreement for 1 year.

A guy from Broward came to the house, check out the problem, turn to me and said: "You need a electrician"

Ya Think?
Well he did tell you where to go.
Old 04-23-2022, 05:20 AM
Default Waste of $$

Never bought one and never will.
Old 04-23-2022, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awolfe View Post
If you are thinking of entering into a service agreement with Broward Factory Services, make sure you READ Everything, ask questions, get answers, and make sure everything is in writing. I signed up online, then found out that signing up online is considered a Corporate agreement and may or may not include services offered at your local office. I recommend you call and talk with a representative in your area rather than going online. There are different types of agreements. I thought I had a Gold contract, meaning appliances would be replaced if they could not be repaired. I didn’t realize that some of my appliances were under a Silver Contract, which means repair costs only. Broward has an inspector come out, look at your appliances, and get serial numbers. He/she cannot tell you if something is not going to be covered. After the inspection I was told that my HVAC system, my oven, and my dishwasher would be covered as part of my Gold status. My washer, dryer, and refrigerator were not covered because either parts were no longer available or they were too old. My washer and dryer were 2009 and my refrigerator is newer than that. No idea why it wasn’t covered since it was purchased as a bundle with the stove, microwave, and dishwasher. My air conditioner had to be replaced within 2 weeks of signing the agreement so it was not covered - pre existing issue and nothing is covered until 30 days after signing. That cost $6700, but $1000 less than Broward quoted. I didn’t read the agreement, partly because I never got a copy. My washer stopped working. Since I had been told it wasn’t covered, i had someone other than Broward look at it. The cost of replacing the motor was as much as buying a new one so I spent $600 on a new washer. Now I find out I could have had Broward look at it because it was part of a Silver agreement that I knew nothing about and they may have been able to repair it at no cost to me. I spent $100 to have a repairman come out. Many of my friends are happy with the services they have gotten. My advise is Buyer Beware!
We had a contract with them and when we needed them they spent more time trying to get out of fixing!!! CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED!
Old 04-23-2022, 06:20 AM

Couldn’t agree more! Appliance service contracts in general aren’t worth the paper they’re written on. My wife and I recently bought a resale, the previous owners had a contract with Broward. Our washing machine was in need of repair. The prior owner showed us a repair order which stated the machine had been repaired the month before (new shocks), signed by the repair tech and owner. A different repair company checked the machine and found THE ORIGINAL shocks still in the machine! No wonder it was still doing the Watusi across the room. What a ripoff that company is!
Old 04-23-2022, 06:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

I stick with manufacturers warranty.
Reckon if it doesn't go wrong within that period, appliance will live until you feel like replacing it, or dies of old age..
Never ever purchased extended warranties/insurances. Consider them a ripoff.
JMO.
Old 04-23-2022, 06:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjon309 View Post
Couldn’t agree more! Appliance service contracts in general aren’t worth the paper they’re written on. My wife and I recently bought a resale, the previous owners had a contract with Broward. Our washing machine was in need of repair. The prior owner showed us a repair order which stated the machine had been repaired the month before (new shocks), signed by the repair tech and owner. A different repair company checked the machine and found THE ORIGINAL shocks still in the machine! No wonder it was still doing the Watusi across the room. What a ripoff that company is!
Wow great way to lose a customer for life
Old 04-23-2022, 06:49 AM

Quote:

Ya Think?
I've had them for two houses since 2014. Never had a problem with appliances. An outlet is not covered. My home today has a 14 yr old heat pump. They said as long as parts are available they will fix it. Not sure homeowners insurance covers appliances, air conditioners, dish washers, clothes washer and dryers.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

We are not huge fans of home warranties but decided to buy one to protect against failure of our 21 year old AC . First year no claim , second year they (Choice Home Warranty) replaced dishwasher , clothes washer and provided prompt quality rated repair techs that made the decision the units cost more to repair than replace. Friends saying they have paid 7/9 thousand dollars for AC /furnace replacements , it’s a gamble so far we are winning .Premium vs.repairs.
Old 04-23-2022, 10:33 AM

Not sure told you Broward covered electrical, to my knowledge they do not, they just cover appliances, hot water heater and heat and A/C.

Quote:

Ya Think?
Old 04-23-2022, 10:36 AM

I have had Broward Factory Service for years and I've always seemed to get my monies worth. They've always been professional and knowledgeable on anything I've ever called them on. When it was time to replace my heat and A/C I called 4-5 companies and they were the most honest and fair priced of them all. I've never had a problem with Broward.
Closed Thread

Tags
covered, broward, agreement, washer, appliances

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.