Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Wow great way to lose a customer for life
Absolutely!
Old 04-23-2022, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by awolfe View Post
If you are thinking of entering into a service agreement with Broward Factory Services, make sure you READ Everything, ask questions, get answers, and make sure everything is in writing. I signed up online, then found out that signing up online is considered a Corporate agreement and may or may not include services offered at your local office. I recommend you call and talk with a representative in your area rather than going online. There are different types of agreements. I thought I had a Gold contract, meaning appliances would be replaced if they could not be repaired. I didn’t realize that some of my appliances were under a Silver Contract, which means repair costs only. Broward has an inspector come out, look at your appliances, and get serial numbers. He/she cannot tell you if something is not going to be covered. After the inspection I was told that my HVAC system, my oven, and my dishwasher would be covered as part of my Gold status. My washer, dryer, and refrigerator were not covered because either parts were no longer available or they were too old. My washer and dryer were 2009 and my refrigerator is newer than that. No idea why it wasn’t covered since it was purchased as a bundle with the stove, microwave, and dishwasher. My air conditioner had to be replaced within 2 weeks of signing the agreement so it was not covered - pre existing issue and nothing is covered until 30 days after signing. That cost $6700, but $1000 less than Broward quoted. I didn’t read the agreement, partly because I never got a copy. My washer stopped working. Since I had been told it wasn’t covered, i had someone other than Broward look at it. The cost of replacing the motor was as much as buying a new one so I spent $600 on a new washer. Now I find out I could have had Broward look at it because it was part of a Silver agreement that I knew nothing about and they may have been able to repair it at no cost to me. I spent $100 to have a repairman come out. Many of my friends are happy with the services they have gotten. My advise is Buyer Beware!
Wow-several lessons. My mother taught me never to sign anything without reading it.
That saved me tons of grief. Often, we are told you have no need to read it. Strange reaction when I tell them they have no need of my signature.

In general the guidance is do not sign and pay for above the warranty that comes included in the purchase price. Often, when the salesman suggests extended warranty for you new xxxx. The profit on the extended warranty may be more than the PROFIT on the item. To push it the sales person often is paid some sort of bonus.

Budget? We keep an emergency fund. For others, they may need, want an appliance fund.

On a lighter note. My sister has a refrigerator still working with the motor on top.
The motor has the date of manufacture and it was made in 1936
Old 04-23-2022, 04:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja966 View Post
I had some issues with Broward in the home I bought last year. Their standard gold contract, if you dive into the small print, excludes electronic circuitry and computer boards, which is the brains of newer refrigerators, HVAC, ovens, washers and more. Coverage of these is $100 more and I was told the real estate agent was responsible to tell me that. So a covered fridge wasn't covered. Too bad so sad. Gotcha capitalism at its worst. They then asked for renewal which for a year is over $800 to actually have real insurance.
And....the small print says the item must fail first, not be failing but broke and then they determine who to fix, what to fix and if replaced whatever brand they want. My homeowners insurance is only $300 more that that and covers a lot more. IMO this is a bad deal.
If, I understand? Real estate agent was responsible to tell me that? HUH? Sounds like a resale and the seller took out a warranty on the appliances so as to avoid any responsibility. I think there is an implied 30 day warranty. When we sold our previous home we GAVE the purchasers the washer and dryer and stated no warranty. They both were in the house when we bought it and were still working.
Old 04-23-2022, 04:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
We are not huge fans of home warranties but decided to buy one to protect against failure of our 21 year old AC . First year no claim , second year they (Choice Home Warranty) replaced dishwasher , clothes washer and provided prompt quality rated repair techs that made the decision the units cost more to repair than replace. Friends saying they have paid 7/9 thousand dollars for AC /furnace replacements , it’s a gamble so far we are winning .Premium vs.repairs.
Wow a 21 year old AC that is impressive. I believe your utility company will do an energy audit for you-FOR FREE. I expect you will be shocked how quickly a newer unit will pay for itself in saving electricity. Interesting service. They sell electricity not appliances.
Old 04-23-2022, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Wow-several lessons. My mother taught me never to sign anything without reading it.
That saved me tons of grief. Often, we are told you have no need to read it. Strange reaction when I tell them they have no need of my signature.

In general the guidance is do not sign and pay for above the warranty that comes included in the purchase price. Often, when the salesman suggests extended warranty for you new xxxx. The profit on the extended warranty may be more than the PROFIT on the item. To push it the sales person often is paid some sort of bonus.

Budget? We keep an emergency fund. For others, they may need, want an appliance fund.

On a lighter note. My sister has a refrigerator still working with the motor on top.
The motor has the date of manufacture and it was made in 1936
Very often the salesman gets paid for the warranty and the profit on warranty is higher than on the appliance. Staples used to have warranty on $ 20 items with cost of warranty 5.

In the long run almost all people will be way ahead by self insuring
Old 04-24-2022, 01:20 PM
Default Broward Factory

I am Con Davidson the sales manager of Broward Factory in the Ocala, Villages area and Clermont.

Have been selling Broward Factory for 5 years, do a seminar in the Villages at Bob Evans at Colony Plaza every Monday and Thursday at 1 PM.

This customer went on Line and bought a warranty , that we sell in California, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, Florida, and other states.

It's a warranty that cost a lot more that a warranty we sell in the Villages called the Villages Special. It also covers less appliances , and Has fees.

The Villages Special is a product we sell to all Villages residences only at our seminars , or in there homes , or over the phone. Has no fees, covers a lot more appliances, cost a lot less and has no waiting time or home inspection.

If this customer had a problem or questions she could of called me or our office and we would of helped her. Instead she rights a story about buying on line and ordering the wrong product.

She just bought the wrong product on line instead of buying a warranty designed for all Village residences.

We have many very happy customer in The Villages , Ocala and Clermont that I take care of everyday.

Con Davidson

Osceola Hills Villages residence

407 738 6257
Old 04-24-2022, 02:10 PM

I am the original poster and I started out admitting I made mistakes. But I had no idea there are different ways to purchase the maintenance contract and I am not sure how I would have known that. I tried to go to the Bob Evans presentation when I heard about one a few days after I completed my application. I was not looking for a free lunch, but hoped to get more information about what i was getting. I was told it was too late since I filled out an Application on line.
Old 04-24-2022, 03:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by awolfe View Post
I am the original poster and I started out admitting I made mistakes. But I had no idea there are different ways to purchase the maintenance contract and I am not sure how I would have known that. I tried to go to the Bob Evans presentation when I heard about one a few days after I completed my application. I was not looking for a free lunch, but hoped to get more information about what i was getting. I was told it was too late since I filled out an Application on line.
After one year change it or if you are unhappy to see if you can cancel.
Old 04-24-2022, 04:03 PM

I received a refund from Broward.
Old 04-24-2022, 06:49 PM
Veteran member

BTW:

I am a happy BFS customer. In fact, when I had to have a repair on my fridge in my rental, BFS lent me a fridge till they got the part and fixed mine.

Good Service.
Old 04-24-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestpair View Post
I am Con Davidson the sales manager of Broward Factory in the Ocala, Villages area and Clermont.

Have been selling Broward Factory for 5 years, do a seminar in the Villages at Bob Evans at Colony Plaza every Monday and Thursday at 1 PM.

This customer went on Line and bought a warranty , that we sell in California, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, Florida, and other states.

It's a warranty that cost a lot more that a warranty we sell in the Villages called the Villages Special. It also covers less appliances , and Has fees.

The Villages Special is a product we sell to all Villages residences only at our seminars , or in there homes , or over the phone. Has no fees, covers a lot more appliances, cost a lot less and has no waiting time or home inspection.

If this customer had a problem or questions she could of called me or our office and we would of helped her. Instead she rights a story about buying on line and ordering the wrong product.

She just bought the wrong product on line instead of buying a warranty designed for all Village residences.

We have many very happy customer in The Villages , Ocala and Clermont that I take care of everyday.

Con Davidson

Osceola Hills Villages residence

407 738 6257
Yep, first name checks out.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVJim View Post
Yep, first name checks out.
If your saying what I think you are not very nice at all.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
If your saying what I think you are not very nice at all.
Agreed...

-Tom Petty
Old 07-08-2022, 11:35 AM
Default Broward Factory Service

Regarding Broward Factory Service, If you ever have a problem and need to talk with the service manager “Steve” There in Summerfield, You will find a very unfriendly and uncurious customer experience with him. Silver service with Broward Factory Service, means every excuse will be made not to take care of your problem right down to the garbage disposal. They say its covered, but they will not open it to fix it or replace it under Silver service so its basically not covered if it jams permanently. I offer a better option in home warranty service for my Villages neighbors. I used to own a Real Estate Company in North Carolina, and used First American Warranty Company exclusively with over 100 contracts with them. They never made excuses on why they could not fix your problem, they just either repaired or replaced as necessary. Their prices are around the same as Broward, but do have a $65 service call fee. Their plans running around $500 per year covers all Appliances, Air Conditioners, Heating, Water Heater, Electrical, Plumbing, Ceiling fans and garage door openers. Washers and Dryers are extra if you need that. They are much better in value than Broward. I am presently trying to get a meeting with the local 1st AM Warranty Regional Representative to inform them of the mismanagement of Broward Service and their Manager and their unfair practices and pricing plans. Please look at their Service Warranty Program, and I hope none of you ever need to talk with the Service Manager Steve at their Summerfield office. You will be talked down too, sworn at and told to never call them again if you try to get help or consideration from them. As a side note, avoid American Home Shield, they also train their technicians to avoid repairs when ever possible. First American Home Warranty is the absolute best and will now return to them myself and hope many of you will see their value for yourselves.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,740 Times in 5,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfredhead View Post
Regarding Broward Factory Service, If you ever have a problem and need to talk with the service manager “Steve” There in Summerfield, You will find a very unfriendly and uncurious customer experience with him. Silver service with Broward Factory Service, means every excuse will be made not to take care of your problem right down to the garbage disposal. They say its covered, but they will not open it to fix it or replace it under Silver service so its basically not covered if it jams permanently. I offer a better option in home warranty service for my Villages neighbors. I used to own a Real Estate Company in North Carolina, and used First American Warranty Company exclusively with over 100 contracts with them. They never made excuses on why they could not fix your problem, they just either repaired or replaced as necessary. Their prices are around the same as Broward, but do have a $65 service call fee. Their plans running around $500 per year covers all Appliances, Air Conditioners, Heating, Water Heater, Electrical, Plumbing, Ceiling fans and garage door openers. Washers and Dryers are extra if you need that. They are much better in value than Broward. I am presently trying to get a meeting with the local 1st AM Warranty Regional Representative to inform them of the mismanagement of Broward Service and their Manager and their unfair practices and pricing plans. Please look at their Service Warranty Program, and I hope none of you ever need to talk with the Service Manager Steve at their Summerfield office. You will be talked down too, sworn at and told to never call them again if you try to get help or consideration from them. As a side note, avoid American Home Shield, they also train their technicians to avoid repairs when ever possible. First American Home Warranty is the absolute best and will now return to them myself and hope many of you will see their value for yourselves.
Do yourself a favor and set up a separate bank account for home repairs and fund it every month.

Don't buy a home warranty from any company.
Closed Thread

Tags
covered, broward, agreement, washer, appliances

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.