Brownwood (all-wood) Apartments

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2019, 05:30 AM
Default Brownwood (all-wood) Apartments

Home after a five week National Park road trip out west, was very surprised to see the Brownwood apartments built Three stories high, entirely framed in wood and sheathed in chipboard/oriented strand board. Fire Safety and Security questions..........smoke free buildings? Prohibited open flame within apartments? Regular scheduled fire evacuation drills using stairways in lieu of elevators? Tenants with mobility issues only placed on ground floors? Villages Firefighters familiarization with building and apartment floor plans, truck/ladder access to exterior of buildings in complex?
Old 10-05-2019, 06:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Give these folks a call:
Building Services | Sumter County, FL - Official Website
VCDD Public Safety
Old 10-05-2019, 06:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

florida building codes regarding wood framing for residential building - Bing

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-05-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward III View Post
Home after a five week National Park road trip out west, was very surprised to see the Brownwood apartments built Three stories high, entirely framed in wood and sheathed in chipboard/oriented strand board. Fire Safety and Security questions..........smoke free buildings? Prohibited open flame within apartments? Regular scheduled fire evacuation drills using stairways in lieu of elevators? Tenants with mobility issues only placed on ground floors? Villages Firefighters familiarization with building and apartment floor plans, truck/ladder access to exterior of buildings in complex?

Cheaper than steel & concrete.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwel
Old 10-05-2019, 07:01 AM

Fire trap
Old 10-05-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Azz View Post
Fire trap

Typically such structures have a fire suppression system capable at all exposure points.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."
George Orwell
Old 10-05-2019, 07:45 AM
Veteran member

After scanning the Florida building codes I'm quite sure a fire sprinkler system will be installed throughout the building....
Old 10-05-2019, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Normal construction around the country, they seem to keep up with the latest building codes.

Wonder where residents will put their golf carts?
Old 10-05-2019, 08:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

The apartments are one year lease, when you sign lease will determine where your apartment is. Not sure i would invest in a cart to sit outside in a parking space, but at other care facilities they park their carts outside, some have a car port. As for the structure the structure had to have approval. Not worried if we chose to live there.

Last edited by thelegges; 10-05-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Looks like brick veneer around the first floor.

The Villages Florida

The elevator shafts were built first out of block.

The Villages Florida

Most motels I stay anymore will have these, apartments shouldn't be any different.

The Villages Florida
Old 10-05-2019, 11:15 AM

Great input from all, a sprinkler system for fire suppression should do it.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

You can also bet that they will have fire risers allowing the Fire Dept to pump high pressure water to the upper floors.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 10-05-2019, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

The wood construction is a standard building technique for a 3 story building. Even many hotels are constructed with wood. It should not present a fire hazard. The problem is that, if I were to live in the building, I would want a top floor unit. Otherwise, you will very likely have a noise problem with the people living above you, especially if the people above you are heavy. I have never seen a wood floor constructed in a way that will eliminate noise transmission to the unit below. Sometimes, they will install a thin concrete floor topping which doesn't work. And, over time the wood floor joists will start to squeak, and the noise problem will get worse. Just my opinion.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:46 AM

I would think renting a home all year in TV would be a lot cheaper than renting these apartments. Either way, no maintenance for the tenant and full amenities.
I see no benefit to living in an apartment building unless it's in a downtown big city location.
When we were first married the tenants above us would practice their bowling with a real bowling ball.

George Orwell

Last edited by PrudentLifer; 10-05-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrudentLifer View Post
I would think renting a home all year in TV would be a lot cheaper than renting these apartments. Either way, no maintenance for the tenant and full amenities.
I see no benefit to living in an apartment building unless it's in a downtown big city location.
When we were first married the tenants above us would practice their bowling with a real bowling ball.

George Orwell
I agree. It reminds me of people who worked in downtown Washington, DC, and would buy a townhouse 40 miles from work with more than an hour daily commute.
Closed Thread

Tags
apartments, fire, buildings, brownwood, stairways

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.