Bugs/snakes in November?

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2012, 07:20 PM
Veteran member
Default relax and enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie3456 View Post
I'm renting near Ft. Sumter Landing for the month of November, and am curious to know what kinds of bugs, snakes, etc. I may run into (or run away from!) Is it late enough in the year for me to relax? Thanks for any input on this.
Having lived here for almost 4 years I can tell you that we had more insects in Pennsylvania than I have seen here yet. Houseflies are non-existent here, and the few spiders seem to be confined to the outdoor areas (eaves) and the pest control folks do a great job in eliminating their webs. as far as snakes, other than in naturally wooded areas the likelihood of you encountering one in your paved and cultivated yard is rather remote. the presence of 'good snakes' usually indicates that the 'bad snakes' will not move in; eliminate the good snakes and the bad ones will seize the opportunity to make themselves at home. geckos/lizards/frogs.....what's the harm....they eat insects. and none of them come into the house.

there is nothing to be so apprehensive about.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemom View Post
All you who have lived here years and never have seen a snake........LUCKY. We moved in only a month ago and the first week here was a fat 3 foot snake in our driveway and just yesterday morning went into the garage (door was closed) and there was another 3 foot snake in the garage. Couldn't open garage door fast enough to get him out. Not sure what kind, both were dark brown & black, no rattles, or whether or not he was venomous. Watch your pets and just be aware.
Thanks for being honest. I've also heard about the snakes.
Just wondering if you bought in a "new" village under construction or an older settled village?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimivillager View Post
Sorry to say we do have brown widow and black widow spiders. I saw 2 brown recluse(widow) in Amelia at my home. (poisonous)
I was bitten by a spider which caused a large infected area on my abdomen back in 1994........while staying in an upscale rental condo in Venice, while waiting for our newly purchased condo to be remodeled "top to bottom".

It must have been between the sheets........said the realtor.

My mom, who was 84 at the time, was bitten all over in her bedroom......she had red welts all over her body. This was a gorgeous condo on the beach......not a cheap room.

Never ever have we had these experiences before......

But the stories that exterminators told me..........I could write a book.
It isn't just Venice, Florida.........

As far as lizards, they were cute....both in Venice and in The Villages on the lanai.........harmless.

But in Disney World once, at one of the main top Disney Resort Hotels on the premises..........we had just checked in with the kids to our room and hubby spotted this giant ROACH (which you all call palmetto bugs).

He captured it in a cup from the bathroom.......put the lid on and carried it down to the front desk..........with all the people waiting to check in. They said they would spray the room again.

It isn't something one would expect in Disney World.......we were on the major plan with all the dinners every day at all the different "countries" by Epcot, breakfasts at our hotel, etc...........all the activities and boating for the children, etc.

We also saw roaches in TV where we rented....but they were dead ones.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
Have the boa constrictors & anacondas migrated up from the Everglades, yet?
Not yet, except for collectors of such.......but the killer bees are on their way.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.