Building a home in Newell - seeking any words of wisdom

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2023, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
I understand the business decision but very sad to see dreams can no longer come true.

Reduces the likelyhood we'll build another.
It’s heartbreaking to walk through Street of dreams, today, and find out 40 items in that section only 2 have a RED dot availability.

New name should be Street of Disappointment.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:35 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Most new houses don’t come with Washer/Dryer as in many years in the past, so install could have been aftermarket, no inspection.

Our 2010, 2012, 2014 came with W/D. 2023 we bought our own.

In most places it's code to install the basics like a dryer vent and washing machine spigots and drain, even if they don't come with the house.
Old 01-21-2023, 01:22 AM

I was with a Villages agent today. It was shocking to hear how different the Design Process has changed in the last year. I understand the Villages is not a "custom builder" but it would be nice if they offered a few more options in todays market.
Old 01-21-2023, 06:09 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeintl View Post
We just selected a lot and are having a new home built in Newell, near the Franklin Rec Center. Meeting with the design team next week. I would like to hear from folks that have gone thru this experience. Seeking any words of wisdom or advice regarding this process.

Also, considering the color of the exterior, I was thinking of a light off white/beige but according to our designer gray is the most popular. Are darker colors less likely to show mold?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
One last opinion of mine I should have included earlier. When you are building/buying/designing it may be best to think further down the road. Will you resell later, is this the “Dream” home where you will never move from again? If it became a rental, consider how the market is softening up because of all the new external options in Wildwood and just across 501. These factors should be carefully considered when building. You may not want that new quartz countertop, or MDF cabinets installed.

Also consider expenses that many new homes seem to eventually go through like water filters, softeners, solar tubes, landscaping, gutters, painted garage/lanai floors/driveways etc. These things don’t have to be done overnight, but they are possibly future costs to flush through the mind when designing.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 02-25-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeintl View Post
We just selected a lot and are having a new home built in Newell, near the Franklin Rec Center. Meeting with the design team next week. I would like to hear from folks that have gone thru this experience. Seeking any words of wisdom or advice regarding this process.

Also, considering the color of the exterior, I was thinking of a light off white/beige but according to our designer gray is the most popular. Are darker colors less likely to show mold?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
Although there is no longer a true customizable option, I did hear that if there is an existing plan they have on file that has been customized, they may build that for you. That would be the closest I think you can get to a truly customized plan, but then again, it would be someone else’s customized home. I worked on ours for over a year to customize. No way I could’ve made choices in one week!
As for exterior colors, I would recommend a light color. There is a lot of thermal mass if you are talking concrete. That will hold heat or cold longer than siding. Talk to Florida paints and get a good idea how hot, say a navy, exterior paint can be. Good luck!
Closed Thread

Tags
home, newell, seeking, words, wisdom

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.