Building a home in Newell - seeking any words of wisdom

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2023, 06:49 PM
Default Building a home in Newell - seeking any words of wisdom

We just selected a lot and are having a new home built in Newell, near the Franklin Rec Center. Meeting with the design team next week. I would like to hear from folks that have gone thru this experience. Seeking any words of wisdom or advice regarding this process.

Also, considering the color of the exterior, I was thinking of a light off white/beige but according to our designer gray is the most popular. Are darker colors less likely to show mold?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2023, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

We went through the design process at the end of 2020. From what I understand it’s a lot different now. Try to get into as many model homes as you can. Get an idea what finishes are available. As far as house color. Just drive around the villages closest to you. If you see some colors you like write the address down. They can look up what colors were used. Same goes for roof color.

Most of all pack your patience. There are a lot of decisions to make. The better idea you have of what you want will make the process a little less stressful.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 01-16-2023, 08:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,159 Times in 2,252 Posts

We did the build our own design process in 2013, and as noted above, it appears to be much different now. We got 3 stretches on out house and were able to pick our house color and almost all of the items in the house.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Drive around and look at other houses. When you find one in the colors you like, write down the address. When you eventually meet with a designer, give them the address and say you want your house to be that color.

The same with the driveway light and the lights over the garage. Identify the design you like so you can choose it easily when you meet with the designer.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:30 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Electric cars and plug in hybrids are in the future I would add a 220 volt outlet (clothes dryer outlet) in the garage.

My wife says get the whole house (built in) vacuum.

Last edited by Toymeister; 01-17-2023 at 03:36 AM.
Old 01-17-2023, 06:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Any advice from anyone prior to September 2022 for design appointments throw it out the door. You are no longer overwhelmed by choice, minimal is the norm.

Change is drastic, for choices, of everything. No moving of interior walls, only front and rear stretch, 2 appliance packages, (at our time, no gas top drop in available, but it can change daily). Few choices for faucets, basic shower heads, only. Drawer pulls, 2 choices. We could not customize our closets, wire rack only. You can no longer add electric outlets, lights. Standard is the new norm, Everything you really wanted is after market now.

What you can choose is Elevation, of house, outside color, drive around pick 3-5 colors with roof, front door and garage color. Write addresses, info will be looked up for you. If no one has the color you choose close to your home it’s yours. In years past 20 shades of beige was the color of choice. Now 20 shades of grey, is the in color. I would say 65% of custom is grey in our village. With exception of a few dark blues, black, and one very pink house.

Interior walls can be painted but same color, in all rooms. Light fixtures have choices, but much less than before. Choice of front doors, (double was available at our time) handles and finish. Get stacking lanai doors. Some windows can be in middle of room or on the side. (Wish we would have chosen one large bedroom window instead of two small.)

Cabinets, painted, or wood, if you want a color cabinet, all baths and or laundry must be same color. Kitchen island can be different color than rest of cabinets, but those have to be all same color.

Choices of flooring, tile, much less, but still choices. Height of floor molding ( go big).

If you want a pool at build, 2 choices at our meeting so we are going after market.

Design team is no longer the overwhelming week long meeting it used to be. RED dots are your friend ( you will understand this at your meeting)

Big deep breath, Enjoy, second guessing will pass, then in 4-6 months you get to enjoy your new home.
Old 01-17-2023, 06:55 AM
Default Hold expectations

QUOTE=asianthree;2176609]Any advice from anyone prior to September 2022 for design appointments throw it out the door. You are no longer overwhelmed by choice, minimal is the norm.

Change is drastic, for choices, of everything. No moving of interior walls, only front and rear stretch, 2 appliance packages, (at our time, no gas top drop in available, but it can change daily). Few choices for faucets, basic shower heads, only. Drawer pulls, 2 choices. We could not customize our closets, wire rack only. You can no longer add electric outlets, lights. Standard is the new norm, Everything you really wanted is after market now.

What you can choose is Elevation, of house, outside color, drive around pick 3-5 colors with roof, front door and garage color. Write addresses, info will be looked up for you. If no one has the color you choose close to your home it’s yours. In years past 20 shades of beige was the color of choice. Now 20 shades of grey, is the in color. I would say 65% of custom is grey in our village. With exception of a few dark blues, black, and one very pink house.

Interior walls can be painted but same color, in all rooms. Light fixtures have choices, but much less than before. Choice of front doors, (double was available at our time) handles and finish. Get stacking lanai doors. Some windows can be in middle of room or on the side. (Wish we would have chosen one large bedroom window instead of two small.)

Cabinets, painted, or wood, if you want a color cabinet, all baths and or laundry must be same color. Kitchen island can be different color than rest of cabinets, but those have to be all same color.

Choices of flooring, tile, much less, but still choices. Height of floor molding ( go big).

If you want a pool at build, 2 choices at our meeting so we are going after market.

Design team is no longer the overwhelming week long meeting it used to be. RED dots are your friend ( you will understand this at your meeting)

Big deep breath, Enjoy, second guessing will pass, then in 4-6 months you get to enjoy your new home.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-17-2023, 07:04 AM

We first visited the Villages last February and decided we wanted to build. All summer I scanned Houzz, Pinterest, Magazines, etc. I had my dream house ready. We walked into the Street of Dreams with our realtor (luckily he had warned us of the change) and everything I looked at he shook his head. Can’t get. Not even a gas stove! I went home and burst into tears! After much reflection we decided to proceed. We worked with Amy and she made the entire week as pain free and informative as possible. They start our house Friday in Newell and we are so excited! Once you are able to move past the lack of choices, you realize that if you want something different then choose the least expensive from the Villages choices and redo after market. I too recommend driving around and visiting the model homes. We actually changed our model three times! As mentioned before put in as many stretches as you can! Best of luck😋
Old 01-18-2023, 06:06 AM
Veteran member

Don’t build anywhere near the turnpike, power lines etc.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,611 Times in 946 Posts

I would say stretch wherever you can, add a golf cart garage, if you can
And don’t sweat anything else - go with builder grade and change it out as you live there.
There’s a high probablility you will be moving to another home within 5 years.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:03 AM

I would agree that the design process has changed completely since we did it in 2021. With that said, I first think it’s important to understand how much room you really need. We measured our existing rooms (back then in our old house) and figured out how much kitchen space we’d need, spare bedroom size, garage size etc. We did a few stretches which we don’t regret. I’d also recommend going to the models. Depending on lot size there are only so many floor plans that will fit on a give lot size. Have a couple in mind.

The average villagers moves 3 times. Too big or too small of house and garage are some of the top reasons. Location and annoying neighbors follow closely behind.

Explore getting appliances from a big box retailer. TV had limited options when we designed. We got ours from Best Buy.

If you’re doing your own closets, let them know. They won’t put up the wire ones and you won’t have to parch holes or paint over the holes.

Go thru your final contract draft with a fine tooth comb. We found mistakes that our designer made. You will be responsible ($$) for any changes, even if not entirely your fault.

Although frowned upon, walk thru your build weekly. You might find mistakes.

If they’re not doing this now automatically, elevate the lanai floor to be level with house floor….I.e no step down.

I also opted for a hose bib and electrical outlet by the back (but inside)of the lanai. This way I can water plants in the lanai and also have electricity back there.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,248 Posts

Provided gas is available at the home, not a big deal to run a gas line to the stove post purchase. Run one to the patio for a gas bbq grill audio.

Think about making a list of upgrades to add after and line up the contractors. Especially flooring.

Maybe even try to have major work done after purchase but before moving on.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:33 AM
Sage

Old 01-18-2023, 07:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
I would agree that the design process has changed completely since we did it in 2021. With that said, I first think it’s important to understand how much room you really need. We measured our existing rooms (back then in our old house) and figured out how much kitchen space we’d need, spare bedroom size, garage size etc. We did a few stretches which we don’t regret. I’d also recommend going to the models. Depending on lot size there are only so many floor plans that will fit on a give lot size. Have a couple in mind.

The average villagers moves 3 times. Too big or too small of house and garage are some of the top reasons. Location and annoying neighbors follow closely behind.

Explore getting appliances from a big box retailer. TV had limited options when we designed. We got ours from Best Buy.

If you’re doing your own closets, let them know. They won’t put up the wire ones and you won’t have to parch holes or paint over the holes.

Go thru your final contract draft with a fine tooth comb. We found mistakes that our designer made. You will be responsible ($$) for any changes, even if not entirely your fault.

Although frowned upon, walk thru your build weekly. You might find mistakes.

If they’re not doing this now automatically, elevate the lanai floor to be level with house floor….I.e no step down.

I also opted for a hose bib and electrical outlet by the back (but inside)of the lanai. This way I can water plants in the lanai and also have electricity back there.

Hope that helps a bit.
Big changes since 2021. Only front and back stretch, no additional rooms.
Only washer and dryer could be refused
Had to have wire rack installed, no choice for none
No change in lanai floor height allowed
No change in water bibs, or any electrical outlet, and NO additional ones.
New norm is “NO” to original model. If you need something different than choose a model that works better.

We have been going to site daily, since day one. Workers greeted us, having short conversations about the build.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:55 AM
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Any advice from anyone prior to September 2022 for design appointments throw it out the door. You are no longer overwhelmed by choice, minimal is the norm.

Big deep breath, Enjoy, second guessing will pass, then in 4-6 months you get to enjoy your new home.
THIS IS THE TRUE POST TO READ. This is EXACTLY what we experience when we designed in Newell.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, newell, seeking, words, wisdom

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.