Building a home in Newell - seeking any words of wisdom

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2023, 02:07 PM

I would change the guest bathroom with a tub to a walk-in shower.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:57 PM
Default Suggestions

EXPAND ALL OF THE HOUSE. Especially the garage at the very least.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
I would agree that the design process has changed completely since we did it in 2021. With that said, I first think it’s important to understand how much room you really need. We measured our existing rooms (back then in our old house) and figured out how much kitchen space we’d need, spare bedroom size, garage size etc. We did a few stretches which we don’t regret. I’d also recommend going to the models. Depending on lot size there are only so many floor plans that will fit on a give lot size. Have a couple in mind.

The average villagers moves 3 times. Too big or too small of house and garage are some of the top reasons. Location and annoying neighbors follow closely behind.

Explore getting appliances from a big box retailer. TV had limited options when we designed. We got ours from Best Buy.

If you’re doing your own closets, let them know. They won’t put up the wire ones and you won’t have to parch holes or paint over the holes.

Go thru your final contract draft with a fine tooth comb. We found mistakes that our designer made. You will be responsible ($$) for any changes, even if not entirely your fault.

Although frowned upon, walk thru your build weekly. You might find mistakes.

If they’re not doing this now automatically, elevate the lanai floor to be level with house floor….I.e no step down.

I also opted for a hose bib and electrical outlet by the back (but inside)of the lanai. This way I can water plants in the lanai and also have electricity back there.

Hope that helps a bit.
If you elevate lanai floor to be level with your house, Sumter county will consider it additional living space and charge you real estate taxes accordingly.

I do not believe the average Villager moves 3x, I think that is an incorrect urban legend. At most twice and many people we have met are still in their first home.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwirish View Post
Don’t build anywhere near the turnpike, power lines etc.
We don’t have power line, but turnpike is 4 streets over. We had more road noise from previous homes in our neighborhood streets than the turnpike. Giving advice that one has no immediate experience on facts is pointless.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:38 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
We don’t have power line, but turnpike is 4 streets over. We had more road noise from previous homes in our neighborhood streets than the turnpike. Giving advice that one has no immediate experience on facts is pointless.
You can’t hear the turnpike in Newell, there is a large 30 foot earthen berm between the village and the turnpike. You can actually hear a pin drop in most areas.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 01-18-2023, 07:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. Our house is on the Turnpike. We have to Open the back door and then open the front door to let the trucks through several thousand times a day.

Seriously now, the Turnpike is just behind the wall in the back of our house and it is a total NON-ISSUE FOR US! I would rather have no neighbor in the back and except the occasional noise that we hear from the Jake Brakes on some of the trucks.
The house is absolutely beautiful and we met with the builder today before our one-hour meeting was over they knocked off three items from the short punch list that we gave to him. This guy was no joke. He texted what he needed to be completed and the workers were here with wings on and did a great job in just minutes.

The entire experience was wonderful so far. From the realtor to the bank to the title company and I can't believe I'm saying this, we actually think the world of our realtor, Zina Fenster Beasley. It couldn't have gone much better. I usually growl at sales people even if its a car or a house I just don't like them. Zina is the one exception. WONDERFUL!

The only beef so far is I've seen some rental signs going up in a few houses but that's what happens with a lot of Patio and courtyard villas. Oh well. Our life is going to be great. Hopefully, the renters are cool calm, and collected.

We do miss our friends and neighbors in The Historic Section. We both loved living there but we did set a world record for ourselves by being there 6 and a half years. That's a record that neither one of us could believe. We almost kept the manufactured home in case the new home didn't work out but took a leap of faith and decided that our decision was solid.

We did have two comments from some supposedly called friends a the old house that they would never come to visit us because it is too far away. I replied whoever said that an invitation would be forthcoming to you and then mentioned that they would travel to wherever Costco is to save 50 cents on a can of green beans but 30 minutes is too far to visit friends???? Just stay home and relax. What a dumb bunny!!

The only other problem about moving here is it's a little too close to Blue Fin and Wolfgang Puck! Oh my Oh my! There goes the budget.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:06 AM

If the golf cart garage is set back, push it up to be equal with your main garage. This way you can buy 2 golf carts and park them head to tail in your new lengthened "cart" garage.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Big changes since 2021. Only front and back stretch, no additional rooms.
Only washer and dryer could be refused
Had to have wire rack installed, no choice for none
No change in lanai floor height allowed
No change in water bibs, or any electrical outlet, and NO additional ones.
New norm is “NO” to original model. If you need something different than choose a model that works better.

We have been going to site daily, since day one. Workers greeted us, having short conversations about the build.
Well that’s certainly disappointing……from the street of dreams to the street of broken dreams.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:00 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Add methane burn-off pipes in the yard…
Old 01-19-2023, 08:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwirish View Post
Don’t build anywhere near the turnpike, power lines etc.
Do some folks wake up in the morning and think, "How can I bring up the turnpike today"?
Old 01-19-2023, 08:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

I though that the developer has stopped officering to do stretches due to the prefab wall construction used now.
Old 01-19-2023, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdecastro View Post
THIS IS THE TRUE POST TO READ. This is EXACTLY what we experience when we designed in Newell.
This is spot on.......we met with design team in August, broke ground in late October, moving into our new house 1st week of Feb. You no longer get to "BUILD" your dream home, you get to "PERSONALIZE" it with limited selections for choices. You may hear.......you have these 5 choices, but only 2 are available due to supply chain issues, so which one do you want? Also, it's VERY difficult to get an upfront price for each upgraded item you may want. They bake the price of each requested upgrade, plus their 30% profit, into the price and give you a final total build price at the end. Something as simple as the floor, which is a HUGE consideration .......they couldn't (weren't willing to) give tell me the price upfront of the ceramic tile we picked vs LVP we picked , so that we could make an informed decision as to whether it was worth it to go with one or the other. That went on an on and on. Very frustrating.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2delunatics View Post
This is spot on.......we met with design team in August, broke ground in late October, moving into our new house 1st week of Feb. You no longer get to "BUILD" your dream home, you get to "PERSONALIZE" it with limited selections for choices. You may hear.......you have these 5 choices, but only 2 are available due to supply chain issues, so which one do you want? Also, it's VERY difficult to get an upfront price for each upgraded item you may want. They bake the price of each requested upgrade, plus their 30% profit, into the price and give you a final total build price at the end. Something as simple as the floor, which is a HUGE consideration .......they couldn't (weren't willing to) give tell me the price upfront of the ceramic tile we picked vs LVP we picked , so that we could make an informed decision as to whether it was worth it to go with one or the other. That went on an on and on. Very frustrating.
I understand the business decision but very sad to see dreams can no longer come true.

Reduces the likelyhood we'll build another.
Old 01-19-2023, 03:38 PM

Someone is a new village called to have dryer vent cleaned 1.5 years after moving in. Found out contractor never hooked up a dryer vent to outside- was going
Inside siding- what a mess- not sure how this could ever pass final inspection. Keep it in mind
Old 01-19-2023, 07:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcicales View Post
Someone is a new village called to have dryer vent cleaned 1.5 years after moving in. Found out contractor never hooked up a dryer vent to outside- was going
Inside siding- what a mess- not sure how this could ever pass final inspection. Keep it in mind
Most new houses don’t come with Washer/Dryer as in many years in the past, so install could have been aftermarket, no inspection.

Our 2010, 2012, 2014 came with W/D. 2023 we bought our own.

Tags
home, newell, seeking, words, wisdom

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.