Exploding toilets - flushmate

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Veteran member
Default Exploding toilets - flushmate

Well, folks, when you thought you had it all worked out, you get a postcard in the mail from SLOAN FLUSHMATE telling you that your toilet is being recalled because of the potential for the flushmate unit to explode when you push the handle to flush. According to news reports, over 300 explosions have occurred and 14 of them have resulted in the toilet tank being turned into ceramic shrapnel that caused injuries. At first, they sent a "repair kit" to put a metal band around the flushmate unit and a water restrictor on the water line which turned the toilet into a regular one. I objected and they sent me a new unit which we had installed so it works just fine. The National News and Consumer Reports have been reporting on this story so if you have a flushmate (power flusher) in your tank and you haven't received a recall notice, you might want to check the serial number to the list on their website. The recalled units are Flushmate 503 series in a certain serial number range. You can check that on their website Flushmate. Happy flushing!
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 08-31-2012, 12:10 PM
Sage

This gives new meaning to

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-31-2012, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,365 Times in 2,083 Posts

We have Kohler toilets in our Villages' home. Not sure what other toilet brands they have in the Villages?
Old 08-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 1,930 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdraig View Post
Well, folks, when you thought you had it all worked out, you get a postcard in the mail from SLOAN FLUSHMATE telling you that your toilet is being recalled because of the potential for the flushmate unit to explode when you push the handle to flush. According to news reports, over 300 explosions have occurred and 14 of them have resulted in the toilet tank being turned into ceramic shrapnel that caused injuries. At first, they sent a "repair kit" to put a metal band around the flushmate unit and a water restrictor on the water line which turned the toilet into a regular one. I objected and they sent me a new unit which we had installed so it works just fine. The National News and Consumer Reports have been reporting on this story so if you have a flushmate (power flusher) in your tank and you haven't received a recall notice, you might want to check the serial number to the list on their website. The recalled units are Flushmate 503 series in a certain serial number range. You can check that on their website Flushmate. Happy flushing!

HOLY SH**! um, I mean Cow!!!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,361 Posts

and you get to fix it yourself
Old 08-31-2012, 06:44 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza
Talking Provide Your Own Caption

The Villages Florida

CAPTION: _________________________
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 08-31-2012, 06:54 PM
Default flushmate

Quote:
More info please. Could you tell us how old is the unit? What year it was made?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Sage

Can't we somehow connect this to the dog poop thread?
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 08-31-2012, 08:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Well, folks, SLOAN FLUSHMATE toilet is being recalled potential for the flushmate unit to explode when you flush. The National News and Consumer Reports have been reporting on this story so if you have a flushmate (power flusher) in your tank and you haven't received a recall notice, you might want to check the serial number to the list on their website. The recalled units are Flushmate 503 series in a certain serial number range. You can check that on their website Flushmate. Happy flushing!
....................thanks for the "HEADS"-UP regarding this (fecal) matter....
Not only do these POWER FLUSHERS send a fine mist of "SHI**Y" water all over your bathroom ....( you are advised to only flush AFTER you put the lid down.)...
we now find they can harm you with "flying ceramics".

...later............"gotta go" .
Old 09-01-2012, 06:52 AM
Sage

Well if this ain't the .................!!!!

Bill
Old 09-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,365 Times in 2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Can't we somehow connect this to the dog poop thread?
I sometimes flush my dog's poop down our toilet if it is fairly solid and easy to pick up so it is easily disposable.

Have not taught my dog to pee in the toilet like that cat in the Fokkers movie.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Veteran member

Sure..my original flushmate was made in 2008 give or take a few months. For the rest, I gave you the website so you can do the rest of the research! or, read Consumer Reports..
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.