Building out 466 & 466A

Closed Thread
Old 03-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Sage
Default Building out 466 & 466A

Does anyone think they will ever build up 466/466A? It seems to me that the stores, Target, Walmart, Kohls, Home Depot, lowes, etc. are all a bit far away for those of us in the newer section of TV. I sure wish they would build shopping centers, like those on 441, closer so those South of 466 didn't have to go so far to get to them. Am I being a fuddy duddy or do others feel the same? Where I come from I'm used to driving about 5-7 minutes to get to anything I need. Seems a long way out to 441 from Sanibel. My mind was just thinking......
Old 03-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Sage

More commercial building along 466? I personally would have my doubts. The area where the villas on the SE corner of Morse and 466 are was previously zoned Commercial - TV opted to get the zoning modified and build the villas.

Much more will probably happen along 466A and also further on down in the Brownwood area.

Bill
Old 03-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Default Commercial on 466

There's still a lot of open commercial land along 466 -- i.e., between Red Lobster and Golden Corral -- plus all the land near Bealls -- no indication of how soon it will be built out, but I'm sure they're looking for tenants.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Sage

Good point, bike42! My bad. I was thinking more about potential new areas on closer towards Morse Blvd.

Bill
Old 03-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Gold member

Since the area around 466 is fully built-out from a residential perspective, my guess is that the conversion of the area where the Haciendas were built from commercial to residential was a capitulation from the builder that there just is not enough demand from commercial tenants to be in that area. Hence I would imagine the wide open areas around Buffalo Junction will take a long time to fill out.

Now, the area around 466A and 44 are a different story. The area along the north side of 466A from BV into Wildwood is zoned for commercial, medical and apartments and will likely be built out as the areas south of 466A are completed. (Of course these are non-Villages owned properties and hence won't have golf cart access). The area to the immediate west of Brownwood is supposed to be a mall (Anterim Dell) and they appeared to be putting some infrastructure in for it the last time I drove by so apparently they are serious about it.

I have also heard a rumor that the area near the new interchange with the turnpike and the Morse Ave. extesion was going to be developed into a mall. This makes sense, but I have never heard it as anything more than a rumor.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Sage

When this community is built out there will be 110K folks (give or take depending on the time of year). So we're a mid-sized city and not like the small towns some of us have moved here from. Larger cities calabrate the distances by minutes...how long it takes to drive here and there. It's said that there will be plenty of commerce built down along 44 and I'd suspect some more on 466A towards Wildwood. There's also room for some things by Colony so I'd not stress too much. The builders don't do anything til they view it's needed...they do their homework so know how to do it to fit the needs. For the people down in Buttonwood...you'd have to go by car but Wildwood does have a Winn Dixie and a CVS...and they're not bad stores. If you explore the surrounding areas there is Walmart etc along 441/27 in Leesburg as well. It takes some getting used to but eventually one does acclimate with time here.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Does anyone think they will ever build up 466/466A? It seems to me that the stores, Target, Walmart, Kohls, Home Depot, lowes, etc. are all a bit far away for those of us in the newer section of TV. ......
Not a problem for us .... you should have just bought sooner!(just pulling your leg).
Actually, plans for major shopping areas seem to come and go over the years, and some stick. The biggest one announced was for a major shopping mall to be built on 466. It was touted as being bigger and more grand than Paddock Mall in Ocala. That was before JC Penney decided not to build and there was talk of a freeway exit off the interstate (not the toll road). Today, most of the proposed Mall Area remains open with the WalMart Super Center being the only major building on one end of that land.
I assume what eventually gets built in the newer southern area will depend on what happens to all that vacant land extending south to the toll road. Lots of homes would result in lots of new stores.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:44 PM

For me personally, I dont want a huge shopping center near where I live. That was the draw for me to buy and eventually live in the Villages. Nice quiet hometown feel. If I want to get aggravated I can deceide to drive 20 miles. Plus I think most everything I will need is within golf cart range. If you want big shopping malls live in a big city. Done with that!!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:59 PM
Platinum member

How far by golf cart to grocery shop (Publix) from...St. James, Buttonwood?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
How far by golf cart to grocery shop (Publix) from...St. James, Buttonwood?
About 10-15 minutes to Colony Plaza is my guess.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:04 AM
Default Probably All Planned

I don't know what The Villages has planned, but I tell you I have never been disappointed. I'm am sure they have all of this figured out. Look what has been built in the last four years on 466 and Lake Sumter was up and running for a couple before they did that. I'm sure once Brownwood is built for a couple of years more places will come in. I would think they would want the villagers to be spending their money on the new business within Brownwood without any competition from the surrounding outside area in the beginning.
But We Shall See....
Old 03-05-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Does anyone think they will ever build up 466/466A? It seems to me that the stores, Target, Walmart, Kohls, Home Depot, lowes, etc. are all a bit far away for those of us in the newer section of TV. I sure wish they would build shopping centers, like those on 441, closer so those South of 466 didn't have to go so far to get to them. Am I being a fuddy duddy or do others feel the same? Where I come from I'm used to driving about 5-7 minutes to get to anything I need. Seems a long way out to 441 from Sanibel. My mind was just thinking......
Happi, once you learn the back road directions, you'll find it's not that long to get to 441 from your area.

Go east on 466A to Micro Racetrack Road and turn left. Go all the way to the end which is Lake Ella Road and turn right. Go less than a mile to Rolling Acres Road and turn left and take it all the way to 441.

Also, as someone else mentioned, there's a Walmart in Leesburg which is actually closer than the one on 466.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
Also, as someone else mentioned, there's a Walmart in Leesburg which is actually closer than the one on 466.
And, you can get to that Walmart in Leesburg without ever having to go on 441/27.

Take 466a heading east from Colony, turn right on 25/Dixie Ave at the light just after the Fruitland Park Post Office. Follow that for several miles and turn left when you get to a stop sign. That road goes around the north side of the Walmart parking lot. (Check out a map/GPS to be sure)

There's also an Aldis and Dollar Store in the strip center just south of Walmart.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Veteran member

The concern u have regarding the distance u travel is a valid one. I bought 3 years ago in Bonnybrook although I looked in your area. But the distance to all services discouraged me from buying so far south. I believe things will get better as they build up 466a, but I did not want to wait five years to see the commercial development come to conclusion. In Bonnybrook I am 5 to 7 minutes from everything.

Be patient.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Being close to whatever you want to be close to is a something that you must consider before buying.

The new houses are in certain areas only and the lions share of the used houses are under six years old. That is pretty new!!

If you wait long enough the area around the new builds will be like the area around the old builds.

Some people like the ride through lush foliage and blooming flowers on pristine streets and others need their beer right NOW.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.