Burglar Robbing People

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2007, 06:06 AM
Gold member
Default Re: Burglar Robbing People

do big dog only bark at buglers that approach your house??-- or at anyone like the lawn care guys, ups, fed ex, meter reader, etc seem like a lot of barking unless they only bark at burglures maybe i perfer a gun walk softly and carry a big stick
Old 10-08-2007, 06:32 PM

It all sounds a little scary but then just about anywhere is these days. We do have a gun and when we move down there it will move with us. We live in a rather rural area now and only recently have we had any problems. I agree that we all have to be proactive and handle our safety as we see fit. A gun or a big dog, or both.... sounds like a good way to go.
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:36 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk
do big dog only bark at buglers that approach your house??-- or at anyone like the lawn care guys, ups, fed ex, meter reader, etc seem like a lot of barking unless they only bark at burglures maybe i perfer a gun walk softly and carry a big stick
I have no problem with my dog barking. That is why I feed him. My very large dog barks at anyone that comes near the house. Personally he drowns out the lawn mower guy - which I prefer. He barks and I look. Better safe than sorry. If someone is trying to break in, I think he would move on to the next house when he hears a dog barking. Does your gun bark or give you an alarm when there is a strange noise? I don't think so. By the time you realize that there is someone there, it is probably too late unless you are packing all the time.

Also, I do think that these burglars do some kind of recon and have marked the houses with dogs so they don't go there.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:58 PM

While most Villages residents don't have a house alarm, many do have a car that does have an alarm. If your car key/remote for the car has a "panic" button on it, consider keeping your car key on your night stand. Should you hear someone trying to get into your home, you can press the panic button setting off the alarm on your car. Most burglars won't want to stay around to see if your neighbors respond to the alarm.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:13 AM
Gold member

Great idear about the car alarm
Old 10-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Wow!! longislandk
Thats a great idea. I hope a lot of people read this and make a note of it..... very good
Old 10-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Eternal Member

Bama, I am with you. But secure villages can't happen here. TC developer chose to have the county/state maintain TV roads, so it realistically is not private at all.
I moved from a resort in Hilton Head, SC where the security was owned by the property owners. Vendors have a sticker on their car/truck for $100-$200 //year or the gate will call the property owner for permitting entrance.

Property owners have year round stickers on their wind shield and visitors and renters have a pass phoned into Security by the property owner with date restrictions. which are shown at an entrance gate to the property (village).
No visitors are allowed access without permission from the property owner with the exception of vendors with stickers and they are allowed between 7AM and 6 PM.

Visitors have to pick up a pass at a Welcome Center to put in their windshield to get by the armed guard at the gate. Security personnel cruised the entire area 24/7. The cost to property owners was included in their annual amenity fee.
Very Safe. Very Secure.

Don't see any way that could happen here because of the individual villages not being governed by the property owners and our publically-owned street. As TV continues to grow, I am concerned about safety.

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:19 AM

Have there been any more burglaries or has this guy been caught? Excellent idea about using the car alarm.

Pili

Old 10-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Gold member

PERHAPS THEY GOT HIM WE ALL HOPE SO!!!!!!!

THANKS FOR THE INFO REPORTED BELOW BY BESTMICKEY

http://dailycommercial.com/Main.asp?...rticleID=21621

Old 10-12-2007, 10:54 AM

Now I am getting concerned. I live up here in Maine where we still leave our doors and windows open. However, I do have two big dogs, 135# and 80#. I am not sure how much protection they would be, but they would bark.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:42 PM

Rodney Dangerfield said that he lived in such a tough neighborhood that he had money in his budget for muggings!
Old 10-12-2007, 07:06 PM

I just read this thread. I did not know about these latest break-ins. I did not read about this in the Daily Sun. Was this in our newspaper? The Villages is not a gated community, far from it. Anyone anytime can have access to any of our streets. There is no security of any kind. And please don't even begin to mention Neighborhood what???????????? There have been so many break-ins that the Daily Sun has never mentioned, nothing negative about TV as long as the developer has homes to sell.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Veteran member

It was in The Daily Sun within the past ~ 10 days. (Of course, it should have been noted immediately following each incident IMHO.)
Old 10-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Sage

Extremely brazen of the robber to enter a bungalow when people are on the same floor.
Scary. I knew I had Brutus for a reason. (He is afraid of people, but does have a loud bark). I'd much rather have a large dog than a gun ... although I do love Bama's comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama
A gun is not always the answer, as stated most people when confronted with a situtation will react in an undesirable manner, however it does cure the receivedism rate.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:53 AM

Hi we are looking to move to T/V when we sell our home here in Louisiana We live in a gated community and had the same problem. If some one is looking to get in they will. The gates is a high cost item and will not keep any one out. You don't live in Disney Land you live in T/V and that is in the real world
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.