Burglar’s Insider Secrets

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Default Burglar’s Insider Secrets

Some things to keep in the back of your mind. Some wouldn't apply to The Villages but most do.
From an article by a Massachusetts Police Chief.

Secrets from a neighborhood burglar

1. Of course, I look familiar. I was here just last week cleaning your carpets, painting your shutters, or delivering your new refrigerator.
2. Hey, thanks for letting me use the bathroom when I was working in your yard last week. While I was in there, I unlatched the back window to make my return a little easier.
3. Love those flowers. That tells me you have taste — and taste means there are nice things inside. Those yard toys your kids leave out always make me wonder what type of gaming system they have.
4. Yes, I do look for newspapers piled up on the driveway. And I might leave a pizza flyer in your front door to see how long it takes you to remove it.
5. If it snows while you’re out of town, get a neighbor to create car and foot tracks into the house. Virgin drifts in the driveway are a dead giveaway.
6. If decorative glass is part of your front entrance, don’t let your alarm company install the control pad where I can see if it’s set. That makes it too easy.
7. A good security company alarms the window over the sink. And the windows on the second floor, which often access the master bedroom — and your jewelry. It’s not a bad idea to put motion detectors up there too.
8. It’s raining, you’re fumbling with your umbrella, and you forget to lock your door — understandable. But understand this: I don’t take a day off because of inclement weather.
9. I always knock first. If you answer, I’ll ask for directions somewhere or offer to clean your gutters. (Don’t take me up on it.)
10. Do you think I won’t look in your sock drawer? I always check dresser drawers, the bedside table, and the medicine cabinet.
11. Here’s a helpful hint: I seldom go into kids’ rooms.
12. You’re right. I won’t have enough time to break into that safe where you keep your valuables. But if it’s not bolted down, I’ll take it with me.
13. A loud TV or radio can be a better deterrent than the best alarm system. If you’re reluctant to leave your TV on while you’re out of town, you can buy a $35 device that works on a timer and simulates the flickering glow of a real television. Find it at faketv.com.

Eight more things a burglar won’t tell you
1. Sometimes I carry a clipboard. Sometimes I dress like a lawn guy and carry a rake. I do my best to never, ever look like a crook.
2. The two things I hate most: loud dogs and nosy neighbors.
3. I’ll break a window to get in, even if it makes a little noise. If your neighbor hears one loud sound, he’ll stop what he’s doing and wait to hear it again. If he doesn’t hear it again, he’ll just go back to what he was doing. It’s human nature.
4. I’m not complaining, but why would you pay all that money for a fancy alarm system and leave your house without setting it?
5. I love looking in your windows. I’m looking for signs that you’re home and for flat screen TVs or gaming systems. I’ll drive or walk through your neighborhood at night, before you close the blinds, just to pick my targets.
6. Avoid announcing your vacation on your Facebook page. It’s easier than you think to look up your address.
7. To you, leaving that window open just a crack during the day is a way to let in a little fresh air. To me, it’s an invitation.
8. If you don’t answer when I knock, I try the door. Occasionally, I hit the jackpot and walk right in.

Last edited by HiHoSteveO; 10-13-2017 at 08:55 AM. Reason: word
Old 10-12-2017, 08:37 PM
Veteran member

Good stuff
Old 10-13-2017, 06:21 AM
Veteran member

this state is a castle doctrine state; stand your ground..
Come in my house and you will get a 9mm in the head.
keep YOUR Keypads visible and set your alarms when leaving. Also the thief doesn't know if your home or not when it is not set and may receive a bullet in exchange.
I don't agree with everything you are saying!
Old 10-13-2017, 08:45 AM

The most frightening break in is not the single burglar, though that is scary, it is the home invasion with several people. My Great Pyrenees has saved me more than once.
It was about 1am and I heard a noise and thought it was Sophie snoring. Suddenly there is a crash and the back door was busted open. There were 3 men, but they were not counting on a 110 lb dog coming at them over the couch and they ran. This was in a very nice neighborhood outside of San Antonio. The second time was similar in a nice neighborhood outside of Houston. But this time they heard Sophie and never got to the door. In this situation I had time to get my gun. Both times they were eventually caught and drug money was the motivation. I will never be without a dog.
It does not matter where you live, be vigilant and watch out for your neighbors. I am not nice to solicitors(unless they are girl scouts selling thin mints). When I have professionals working in my home, they are introduced to Sophie and she stays by my side.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:58 AM

Oh one more thing I want to add. This is the scenario going around now, and it works. This could happen in the day or night. Most of the time, around 10pm when people are still up. You get a frantic knock at the door and it is a woman's voice stating she is being chased and please help her and let her in. Unbeknownst to you, there are men up against the each side of the door. The door opens, and they force their way in. A friend of mine had this happen to her. Always say you are calling 911 now and for her to keep talking to you from outside. It is amazing how suddenly they leave.
I am getting the RING system which lets you see who is out there and lights up the doorways.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:24 PM

We don't have a dog or a gun. Having lived in NYC, suburban New Jersey, Charlotte, NC and Broward County, Fl we haven't experienced any of the above. Living in The Villages for the past 2 years we have yet to lock our doors. We refuse to live with paranoia in our waning years.

f
Old 10-13-2017, 04:06 PM

It is not paranoia by any means, but being aware of surroundings. I like to think the best of people, unfortunately people are not always nice. I see the worst of what people can do to each other in my job. That is great that you have not experienced anything that would take your sense of safety away and I hope you never have to. But many people have and I talk with them on a weekly basis. I felt the safest in Detroit and DC believe it or not. Then moved to Texas(which I love) and that is when things got dangerous. When a woman is by herself, or is with someone who needs protecting, you bet I will do what is necessary if someone breaks in. I do not look for it to happen, but I am prepared if it does. Looking forward to getting to the villages and a safer environment. Looking forward to sun and fun and volunteer work.
Closed Thread

Tags
it’s, you’re, i’ll, leave, window

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.