Burglary in Fernandina

Closed Thread
Old 12-26-2013, 08:11 PM
Default Burglary in Fernandina

I'm not trying to cause panic. People need to be vigilant. Our community is growing. There are problems in every community and we are not exempt from crime.

This afternoon around 1 o'clock there was a problem on Allaire Loop in the Village of Fernandina. The front door was kicked in. It was a nice home backing up to a golf course.

Of course, the Sumter Sheriff is handling the situation.

Be vigilant!!!! Keep an eye out for your neighbors.

Last edited by OscarOlden; 12-26-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Matzy

it is scaring that thief's coming at daylight. I think we all should watch out what is going on around our area.
When I visited TV in 2010 nobody was talking about burglary.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarOlden View Post
I'm not trying to cause panic. People need to be vigilant. Our community is growing. There are problems in every community and we are not exempt from crime.

This afternoon around 1 o'clock there was a problem on Allure Loop in the Village of Fernandina. The front door was kicked in. It was a nice home backing up to a golf course.

Of course, the Sumter Sheriff is handling the situation.

Be vigilant!!!! Keep an eye out for your neighbors.

I am opening myself up for serious criticism here, but I respectfully request the OP give a link or some accreditation to what you post. Be very specific please.

This is becoming, from my point of view, a VERY poor and childish joke.

There are ways to validate claims of crime sprees, etc.....with the sheriffs office, and weekly (I think it is weekly) police calls are published in the Daily Sun.

If I am wrong, I am sorry, in my feeling that TOTV is become a home for some very immature people who are what I think the term is "flaming".

Again, if I am wrong, I am sorry, but if correct someone has to stop it.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:40 PM

I believe that Allure Loop is in the Village of Buttonwood. ALLAIRE Loop is in Fernandina.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I am opening myself up for serious criticism here, but I respectfully request the OP give a link or some accreditation to what you post. Be very specific please.

This is becoming, from my point of view, a VERY poor and childish joke.

There are ways to validate claims of crime sprees, etc.....with the sheriffs office, and weekly (I think it is weekly) police calls are published in the Daily Sun.

If I am wrong, I am sorry, in my feeling that TOTV is become a home for some very immature people who are what I think the term is "flaming".

Again, if I am wrong, I am sorry, but if correct someone has to stop it.
Bucco, I feel OscarOlden is legit and this probably happened. Part of the problem is the constant crowing about snowbirds coming and going and the word may be out there that people in The Villages often travel for the holidays.

Sooner, probably rather than later, someone breaking into these homes is going to run into an armed resident. That's a frightening scenerio and the perp's simple burglary becomes something very serious. I hope the authorities can get a handle on this quick break-in and run problem.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Sage

I once again have to agree with Bucco. I would like to see the cite from either a newspaper or a sheriff report instead of just someone overhearing from a friend's friend at the pool.

I believe a kicked in door could happen but I would like to see something official that would validate it as being real.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachie View Post
Bucco, I feel OscarOlden is legit and this probably happened. Part of the problem is the constant crowing about snowbirds coming and going and the word may be out there that people in The Villages often travel for the holidays.

Sooner, probably rather than later, someone breaking into these homes is going to run into an armed resident. That's a frightening scenerio and the perp's simple burglary becomes something very serious. I hope the authorities can get a handle on this quick break-in and run problem.
If so, I apologize. I cannot imagine posting these things with no validation. It always bothers me that people feel the can just say things on here..that is childish.

I have lived here for approx 13 years, and what people have been posting is totally foreign, and I speak with many many folks in the course of a day. It just seems the "reports" are coming from "newer" members of TOTV, in some cases if you read past posts what seems to be an agenda.

Any adult who runs to TOTV to yell crime wit so little attempt at validation bothers me.

If wrong...sorry, but my gut usually sends me in the right direction
Old 12-26-2013, 09:01 PM
Sage
Default Believe what you want

Why would you think someone would post something like this if it weren't true??? I, for one, am getting tired of good people on here trying to alert others of danger and then being told in a round about way they are not credible. The OP doesn't have to prove anything because I don't believe they would post something like this without knowing that it happened. Come on, give us a break and thank the person for letting us know we need to be extra diligent about our security and safety. Just stop it already.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Sage
Default I called!

I know these stories to be true because I am hearing them from a reliable source who can not come forward for fear of losing their job.

That being said... I took the liberty of calling the Sumter County Sheriff's Office who confirmed the break ins to be true. He said he couldn't give me any other information because there is an investigation going on

The homes do not appear to be homes of people who are snowbirds or homes of people on vacation. But homes that people are living in at the time.

Someone posted that we watch each others homes. I looked down my street and I can't see any of the doors of my neighbors. We all have deep entryways that can't be seen from the other homes.

I know there are people here who do not believe this. I don't care. So.. It didn't happen to you.. It's happening to MY neighbors and I care that it stops. Just because you don't believe it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I called the Sheriffs office, you didn't take a minute to call! Easy fix.. Make that call!!!

This is the email I sent to my neighbors....

I don't know if people are aware of it... But there have been quit a few burglaries in The Villages.

For some reason the information isn't being passed around and this is making us easy pickins....

There have been several homes that the front door has been kicked in and the homes have been robbed in a very short period of time. I heard from a reliable source there was another one today on Allaire Loop. The information I have received is there's been break-ins in Sanibel, Collier, Hillsborough and today would be Fernandina.... The homes are homes where people are living now. Not snowbirds or people on vacation. People leave for an hour or two and when they return they have been robbed. They are taking the jewelry and money laying around. I know that one went though the front door and went out the back to a car waiting for them in the Bonifay parking lot. The one today was said to be on the golf course.

As many of you know... I am not adverse to stopping people on the street and asking your business here if you look suspicious, a car I don't recognize or parked in a place that doesn't seem right. I also have no problems calling the police on my neighbors home if I see something suspicious. (sorry Dave and Diane) It's hard to see our neighbor's front doors with the entryways, so we really have to pay attention. Keep an eye out when you leave to see if anyone is watching the houses.

Please pay more attention to what is going on around you. Get license numbers... Ask questions. And PLEASE... let that first call be to the Police! The VCDD has no authority! Put the Sumter County Police in your phone for quick access!

Please pass this information along... not to alarm... but to arm. We can deal with what we know. And.... If you hear anything or see anything... Please let the rest of us know... Knowledge is power!

Thank you,

Old 12-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Why would you think someone would post something like this if it weren't true??? I, for one, am getting tired of good people on here trying to alert others of danger and then being told in a round about way they are not credible. The OP doesn't have to prove anything because I don't believe they would post something like this without knowing that it happened. Come on, give us a break and thank the person for letting us know we need to be extra diligent about our security and safety. Just stop it already.
I question the credibility of the people who won't even call to verify the information... They are the same people in every thread! I knew it was true... I still made the call.... It's not in the paper and there isn't anyplace you can find it. But you can talk to a deputy... I did!
Old 12-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Sage

"I know these stories to be true because I am hearing them from a reliable source who can not come forward for fear of losing their job." What kind of job does this reliable source hold?

You can certainly tell us the general source such as "from a Villages sales agent" or a bartender at City Fire, can't you? I would find it more believable if a paper such as The Daily Commercial or the Villages-bashing Orlando Sentinel would have something in it citing several occupied homes in The Villages have had doors kicked in during broad daylight. I am quite sure the Sentinel would have such a story.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Why would someone do that ? Ask those who do to get that answer. It has happened. As I said, if I am wrong, I am sorry.

I have lived here for many years, and do not subscribe to vigilante behavior OR talk. Flamers on the internet are not unusual. In the years I have been here, the sheriffs office and the paper have been pretty good at issuing warnings...once as I recall using the reverse 911.

I will not disparage The Villages, the newspapers or anyone with the very shallow info that has been posted.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
"I know these stories to be true because I am hearing them from a reliable source who can not come forward for fear of losing their job." What kind of job does this reliable source hold?

You can certainly tell us the general source such as "from a Villages sales agent" or a bartender at City Fire, can't you? I would find it more believable if a paper such as The Daily Commercial or the Villages-bashing Orlando Sentinel would have something in it citing several occupied homes in The Villages have had doors kicked in during broad daylight. I am quite sure the Sentinel would have such a story.

I will give you a reliable source... The Sheriffs office! That's about as reliable as I can give you! I told you... I called the Sumter County Sheriffs office!

From what I can see.... There are a couple of trolls on here. The people stirring the pot are not the people trying to let people know what is going on.

Believe it... Don't believe it. I will leave it to everyone else to decide. I don't know.... But I'm just thinking that you don't speak for everyone. *smile*
Old 12-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
I knew it was true... I still made the call.... It's not in the paper and there isn't anyplace you can find it. But you can talk to a deputy... I did!
Thanks very much...thought it was true but good to know for sure. May be tough to stop unless everyone gets on board..
Old 12-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Gold member
Default Facts not Fiction

It was on Allaire Loop Village of Fernandina, Yes it sounds like Allure Loop which is in not in the area.

1: Sumter Sheriff called Community Watch Dispatch to inform them of the situation.

2: Community Watch South Supervisor was dispatched by Community Watch to meet the Sumter Sheriff on scene.

3: Suspect is a young White male. Black Pants, Black Backpack, Black Bandana

4: Sheriff Dogs were tracking.

5: Situition is still under investigation.

Some Advise-

People in that area should keep garage doors down.

All Home doors locked.

Do not advertise that you are leaving, always make it appear someone is home.

Neighbors watch out for each other. Please report all suspicious individual(s) and call 911 immediately.

Most home intrusions occur between 12-4 ( yes there has been more than one in the last few months.)

There is no hype on this post just facts. It did occur.

All records of events are open for the public to view at community watch.

Many times police events are given to the HOA for posting at a later event by the Sheriff.

The crime rate is under .8% in The Villages. Let us respect the poor victims who were part of that .8 %.

To them it is very real, it did happen.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.