Burglary in Fernandina

Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Sage

"Many of us knew about the break-in's for awhile. We have been trying to post about them long before this. It was hard getting past the nay sayers to get people to listen. Maybe we could have gotten the word out better if the people who " didn't believe" would have let the people who did believe it get the word out."

This is just thinking out loud and not a criticism of anyone - since it seems as though quite a few people knew about break-in's - and it did not get publicized, why didn't (or don't) they obtain a copy of the police report and take it to The Daily Commercial or the Orlando Sentinel - if The Daily Sun would not take the story? As I said earlier, the Orlando Sentinel hates The Villages and would love to print bad press about us.

The home owners would have a copy of the police report and the exact address could have been removed for putting in a newspaper - or scanned on-line for the posting on TOTV.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:03 PM

Apparently my thread on cyberbullying was closed prematurely, i.e. "Please inform me."

It was an attempt to elicit introspection and dialogue.

Maybe we can start the thread again.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Why don't the initial posters who hear or are privy in some way to the break-ins or other crimes call the police and get a confirmation, and then post? If they came on with confirmed information, the nay-sayers would be silenced. Nobody likes rumors. If it didn't happen to you, get some confirmation from a reliable source, then post.

it would solve a lot of the perceived "bullying" problems.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:24 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyCrocked View Post
Google is very simple. Oddly, the bullies don't need to post proof, sworn affidavits, and a crime scene analysis. Oh wait, that's right. The bullies don't ever post useful info. They're just here to pick apart every other post.
Exactly!

(My name is Karen)
Old 12-28-2013, 10:30 PM
Sage

Why would someone call the police and get conformation when they already know it's true?

I knew the stories were true and posted such... People wanted conformation. Then... for crying out loud... You get it. I already knew it.

I will post. If you want conformation. YOU get it! If I am wrong, the worst that can happen is someone locks their doors a little more or pays closer attention.

Someone posted the phone number to the police. Write down and make the call. In the meantime. I trust that my neighbors are telling me the truth. I don't know that they have any reason to lie.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Google is very simple. Oddly, the bullies don't need to post proof, sworn affidavits, and a crime scene analysis. Oh wait, that's right. The bullies don't ever post useful info. They're just here to pick apart every other post.

I think Rubicon would call that a red herring. The non emergency numbers aren't answering as it's the weekend.

I imagine by Tuesday we will know just how many break ins occurred, where and when. Then we can clearly define the problem.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Sage

We need a number because??????

How many does it take for people to pay attention?

What is that magic number???

What will anyone do different if it's one, two , three, or ten?

For crying out loud..... What is wrong with people????
Old 12-28-2013, 10:44 PM

When you debate an issue you attack the premise, not the debater.

Clearly in some of the post here, and others on TOTV, personal innuendo is being used.

Whether you clearly recognize that or not may depend on which side of the table you are sitting on.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Veteran member

This whole thing is very amazing to me. It seems "new" people have no value, and must be one of the few that make the decisions on here to be listened to. I, for one, am just so over having to have all my thoughts verified and sanctioned by, who??? who are you, TOTV police? What I hoped could be useful information to me, has just turned into a war of who knows what, who knows more, and now that I know it all, you can believe the newbies. Wow....America's friendliest hometown?
Old 12-28-2013, 11:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
I don't understand your response. Are you saying I should google for proof of what someone posts on the forum as being true, instead of they themselves providing credible evidence of what they are saying?

I'm just saying if you hear a rumor, check it out with the police or whoever is a reliable source before posting. Unless you saw it yourself or talked to the victim (not the victim's cousin's brother-in-law's next-door neighbor), find some facts before posting.

I think what people are getting upset about are the posters who say such-and-such happened and don't provide any further information or facts.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:30 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kris View Post
Apparently my thread on cyberbullying was closed prematurely, i.e. "Please inform me."

It was an attempt to elicit introspection and dialogue.

Maybe we can start the thread again.
WOW -- what does this mean --- i dont feel like looking it up (and RDC)
Old 12-29-2013, 12:07 AM
Veteran member

It's not that I don't believe folks when they post about a burglary, break-in, theft, etc, but it's important to substantiate those reports. Knowledge is indeed power, but only if that knowledge is accurate.

Unsubstantiated reports tend to take on a life of their own, and become legend, even when proven false. Most recently we have had a report of a golf cart stolen from a driveway. As it turned out, that was a "false alarm", but I guarantee you, the initial report will reach many more folks than than the retraction will.

I've recently read a post (which I can't find) from someone who stated that there have been "kick-ins" in Gilchrest, Fernandina, and (somewhere else I can't recall). I've not heard of reports about "kick-ins" in any of those Villages.

I have heard about (3) kick-ins in Sanibel over the past few months. And I've heard about the slider door break in entry in Fernandina. I do believe those reports as they have come from multiple sources here.

I don't know why these burglaries haven't yet been reported, but you can't blame the Daily Sun, because they haven't been reported in any other news sources yet, including the Villages Online news, which is usually right on top of things.

As for those folks who are lining up on sides...bullies vs non-bullies? Really? People have opinions...that's it. We're all old enough to know better than to give a rat's ass about anyone else's opinion.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.