Burglary in Village of Pinellas - Ring Video Doorbell

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2016, 09:41 PM
Default Burglary in Village of Pinellas - Ring Video Doorbell

We recently had a burglary in our neighborhood. Our friends who were robbed had a Ring Video doorbell and it captured the burglars entering their home. The police were able to use the video to post pictures of the burglars in the newspaper. We also have a Ring Video doorbell and love it. Ring.com has given us a $25 off promo code to share with our friends and neighbors. To purchase a Ring Video Doorbell, go to [url=http://www.Ring.com]and use promo code: 9thevillages for $25 off each product purchased. Hope you like your Ring Video doorbell as much as we do!
Old 07-14-2016, 10:48 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

I thought that device was supposed to *prevent* burglaries - no? Why didn't your friends answer the 'doorbell'? $25 off a device that does not work does not sound like a very good deal to me? What am I missing?

Old 07-14-2016, 11:17 PM
Platinum member
Post Shop around

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
I thought that device was supposed to *prevent* burglaries - no? Why didn't your friends answer the 'doorbell'? $25 off a device that does not work does not sound like a very good deal to me? What am I missing?
Perhaps they saw the picture of the person ringing the bell and just didn't want to deal with an apparent solicitor.

Perhaps the burglar didn't ring the doorbell but just came within the range of the motion detector. This produces a much quieter alert which might have been missed.

Perhaps the owner was on the phone and didn't want to interrupt the call to respond to the doorbell.

Perhaps they answered the ring but their conversation with the burglar made him believe that they weren't actually home.

I am not defending the system. I have one and it doesn't work well. Frequently there is a long delay after the ringing of the doorbell before the system becomes active, and the person at the front door has left before the camera and intercom becomes active.

I had a ring today and the camera never came on. The person left. A few minutes later I did a playback and discovered that I had a photo of the person. Go figure.

Note that you must attach your unit to power by replacing your existing push button, OR periodically recharge the unit by plugging it in to your computer. Also, to save the pictures to the Cloud you pay a separate annual fee.

You may perceive that I am not happy with mine, but you might have a different experience.

Consider alternatives, particularly multiple camera security systems.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:03 AM
Veteran member
Default ring doorbell

I saw the first TV ad yesterday, here in England. Again this morning.
Think we will pass on this gizmo.
Thanks for the heads up Carl
Old 07-15-2016, 05:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritParrothead View Post
I saw the first TV ad yesterday, here in England. Again this morning.
Think we will pass on this gizmo.
Thanks for the heads up Carl
I apparently can't see orange. Hard to read your answer.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
I'm curious as to how you think, what what seems to be basically a recording device, could actually *prevent* a burglary?
Old 07-15-2016, 07:48 AM
Eternal Member

Unfortunately, it seems as though some choose to "cheap out" when it comes to their home security. Yes, we all saw the smiling woman burglar suspect but was she caught?

Why not get a monitored home security system? Arm it whenever you leave the house. A burglar will not stay in a house with a 125 db alarm sounding and knowing the police have been called.

Don't make it easy by having jewelry and money in the usual places, either.

Sure, it costs a little money for the system and monitoring but it does work better than the video doorbell in keeping the burglar out of the house.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:49 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
They were not at home.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:17 AM

All good points in the below replies. The Ring video doorbell will not prevent someone getting in your home that wants to steal something. And a home alarm system is probably the best in deterring burglaries. But if you are not at home and you didn't set your alarm, the Ring Video doorbell is another tool to see activity going on around your home/front door.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

60 minutes compared three products including this one. I am sure you can Google the results. After watching I would go with a camera. Since these doorbells are toted on TV, and very recognizable, the person just need to pull down a hat, wear a hood, or just turn away from the door bell so the face is not visible.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:41 AM
Sage

The Villages Florida
Old 07-15-2016, 09:51 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore2 View Post
I'm curious as to how you think, what what seems to be basically a recording device, could actually *prevent* a burglary?
Perhaps you would not be curious if you read the hype on the Ring homepage and watched the television ads. That should explain it for ya!

Old 07-15-2016, 09:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
They were not at home.
But the advertisements push the fact that it connects to your smart phone wherever you are!

If someone is home they can respond to the doorbell and not need the Ring app.

No?

Old 07-15-2016, 09:58 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
But the advertisements push the fact that it connects to your smart phone wherever you are!

If someone is home they can respond to the doorbell and not need the Ring app.

No?
You asked why they didn't answer the door, I answered. Yep, it connects to a phone. No?
Old 07-15-2016, 09:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
snip

Why not get a monitored home security system? Arm it whenever you leave the house. A burglar will not stay in a house with a 125 db alarm sounding and knowing the police have been called.
snip
Sure, it costs a little money for the system and monitoring but it does work better than the video doorbell in keeping the burglar out of the house.
When a friend mentioned the Ring app to us some time ago we checked it out and had the same feelings as yours. So we never gave up our alarm/video system that's monitored for us 24/7/365.

Closed Thread

Tags
video, doorbell, ring, burglary, promo

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.